Author Topic: Extreme tools boxes?  (Read 18871 times)

Offline Slide

Extreme tools boxes?
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »
Anyone have one or have they ever seen and used one? They are very cost friendly and the pro series has a 300/600 lb rating which is a little better than snapon...

But that’s just paper... what is reality.

I really need a box, and as much as I would love a 72 inch box, it’s gonna be a 55 inch because I’m poor, retired, married and retired. And married.

Here is a link to a box I’m looking at but from a different dealer.

https://www.nhproequip.com/extreme-tools-ex5511rc-roller-cabinet-tool-box

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
Re: Extreme tools boxes?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
Craigslist might be your best friend.  Local example.  That is if your are not opposed to recycle/reuse.  YMMV

https://wichita.craigslist.org/tls/d/snap-on-tool-box/6264236184.html
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Slide

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
I am happy to have a used box. Problem is in my area, they rarely come up and when they do, people want 80% full retail on a used box.

There is one classic 78 55 inch for sale for $2500.... but... I can’t get actual pics so I don’t know the condition. And for the price, that extreme tools box comes in brand new delivered.

That’s the great debate really.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »
x2 on the Craigslist idea.  But, guys usually want a premium for Snap-On boxes . . . . .

I own, or have owned, several Snap-On tool boxes over the years, after "upgrading" from Craftsman tool boxes in the 70's and 80's.   It seemed that the only reliable way to store heavy tools was with "top cabin" USA made stuff.   My needs expanded at the time that Sears decided to start "cheaping out" their tool box line, abandoning long time supplier Waterloo Tool Boxes.   So, at the time, Snap-On seemed the only choice, and they have served me well.

BUT, recently I developed a need for "off site" tool storage.  Many of the guys in the shop where I "part-time", have Harbor Freight tool boxes.   And although I initially discounted them, they turned out to be serviceable units, and they are very affordable, something that has become important to me in "retirement".   One of the other guys in the shop had a HF large rolling cabinet that he was very happy with, and as he pointed out, it was much more affordable than the same size in Snap-On.   The local Snap-On dealer's price for a similar size was $2500, with a 10% discount, which seemed really expensive to retired me.   So when push came to shove, I ended up purchasing Harbor Freight's, US General, 44 in wide, 13 drawer, rolling tool cabinet, normally $399.  Yeah $399.   But with a coupon from a mail flyer, I got mine for $359!!   Just on purchase price, that's an $1891 savings.   I just could not justify spending the extra dough . . . . . .

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-69387.html

I am happy with it, the quality is adequate, and it is serving me well.   I have it loaded to the max, and all the drawers are functioning fine.   One thing I do not do is to roll it around the shop with it as loaded as I have it.   Other than that though, I figured I got way above my money's worth, which as I said was the big issue for me.

They have a variety of sizes of rolling tool cabinets:   a 56 inch, 11 drawer @ $749;  and a 72 inch, 18 drawer @ $1099  possible sale prices unknown.   The lower price may let you get a larger unit.   My experience is that every gear head "outgrows" their tool box . . . . . . .

Others might make a different choice.

Just my 2¢

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »
I'll second the notion for the Harbor Freight boxes. I've been using one of the 44 inchers every day for the last 6 years as my main box in a heavy truck dealership. No issues to report at all. I also don't roll it all over the shop though. If I were buying a box today it would definitely be the 72 inch that they offer.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline jww36

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Home Depot has several large roll away tool boxes. Less than $1,000. I've bought several and one is my Bonneville spares box including gears, etc.
John

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 01:21:37 PM »
All this said, a slick trick I saw at a shop in Iowa was to take a big el-Cheapo tool box, cut a piece of 7/16" wafer board the size of the base, bolt it to the bottom of the box to add some lateral and torsional stiffness, and upgrade the wheels.

I like the idea - but I'm super cheap . . .   
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline salt27

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
Home Depot has several large roll away tool boxes. Less than $1,000. I've bought several and one is my Bonneville spares box including gears, etc.
John

+1

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
John

Looking at tool boxes is something of a hobby of mine. The ones at Home Depot are all Chinese made, as are the Harbor Freight ones. Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight ones are MUCH better made, and cheaper for what you get.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
I always thought the double wide tool boxes were way over priced. I have had good luck with buying two really nice Craftsman bottom boxes (caught on sale) and then build a steel frame bed with a good set of quality casters to set them on.  I have three sets like this now with different types of middle and top boxes to go along with it. Probably a third of the price of a solid bottom box.

Offline jww36

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »
Doubt if all but a few could afford a large roll away tool box made in America!

Offline edinlr

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
Slide, I bought the not so extreme version of this at Home Depot at Christmas, it was $199 on sale.  Not professional grade, but it does what I need for a whole lot less.  I have seen the exact same at Harbor Freight, but without the prestigious Husky nameplate on it.

Funny, but I also get medical carts from my nursing home to use for small parts.  I forgot that years ago they were needing a cart in a department and used one of mine from my garage.  It just broke after eight years and the replacement quote was $2700 for a new one.  I found a nice used one coming off lease for $500.  Gotta be thrifty!
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
About ten years ago I attended a gov't surplus auction here in Tucson and my bid won two heavy-duty tool cabinets. They are really nice- each drawer is rated for 450lbs and slides on ball bearings. I use the larger drawers for larger tools such as electric & pneumatic drills, angle grinders, and other big heavy stuff. I was lucky, I think I bid about $200 for both of them. They were made by Rack Engineering in PA.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
My typical approach is to find American made stuff at clearance price or used pieces.  Heck, us old guys don't have many years left and we are gentle on things.  We do not need the strength and quality that a young person wants at the start of their career.