Author Topic: C/AIR closing in on 200  (Read 33800 times)

Offline Beef Stew

Re: C/AIR closing in on 200
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 06:30:20 PM »
Was it by a Nailhead, Rocket, Studey, Packard, DeSoto, Dodge, AMC, Lincoln, Caddy, Pontiac or Packard V-8 -- the ones the class was created for.

Stan

(Are all of those still out there just waiting to update their cage, fire system, seat, head and neck restraint, fire suit, tires, parachute, etc. -- but, outside of that, ready to run?)

Who wrote the rule? It should have had a 1962 cut off date. Obviously the people who wrote the rule didn't know much about early technology. A late 1960s Buick Nailhead, SBC or Olds could be made to run fast on gas, Using over-the-counter speed equipment. The trouble is that now-a-days it's getting hard to find these engines at the boneyard, e-bay sellers have jacked up the prices on old speed parts. So your low-cost class now costs as much to run as any other. If my old roadster still existed, rule changes would make building a new car less expensive than updating the old.

If you truly want to lower costs go to a spec-engine. New iron head and new iron block with a single 4 barrel spec Holly. No porting and your choice of cam.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
     A couple thoughts. One is this class should limit the C.I. of engines that have a distinct advantage. By that I mean SBC and BBC. The performance equipment for those engine is 50% cheaper then any of the fringe  engines in the category. You talk about an unlevel playing field. Unless your just out there to goof around with your roadster that has been sitting for 50 years you wouldn't start from scratch and find a 354 Hemi unless you just enjoy throwing money away. If you do enjoy throwing money away I have a lot of parts for a MEL 430 Lincoln engine including a 6 carb Edelbrock intake. I don't have a crank so if you can round up a crank for one of the small C.I. variations of this engine you could offset grind the rods to suit a BBC conrod. and wa la, a world beater. They have big intakes and O.K. ex. ports. You would be the George Poteet of C/AIR. :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
So you limit the SBC and BBC -- how?  Make them run D?  Have you seen any roadster run that class that's been sitting around for 50 years?  30 years?  No?  Gee -- I thought that was why it was started.

How about making a myriad of classes, blown and unblown, gas and fuel -- make it a new category.

With Bonneville the condition it's in, and the prognosis for the future, why not also have sprung and unsprung classes in the category?  32 grille and non-32 grille?  Light and dark colors?  We know (?) the dark colors absorb the sun and allow the air to pass over more easily (or not?).

Add a few more classes to the category, it'll be just like the bikes -- wedge, hemi, underhead and overhead, count the valves, dry sump or wet, 32 and under, 32 and over, 10% speed added for Ts, participation trophies, best appearing, best appearing crew, best appearing push vehicle, farthest from Wendover, driven from Wendover, etc. 

What?  That's ridiculous?  How about the whole premise for the class and how that's worked out?

Stan Back
(Way back.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »
Back in the 80's we won an award from Chevy Power magazine for the fastest Chevy powered roadster at Speedweek, when apprised of this fact my son asked " was that the fastest blue Chevy powered roadster of the fastest red Chevy powered roadster?"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
Had I made the C/AIR rules, I would have limited the class to single rocker shaft engines only. Chryslers and Chevys don't need protection. I might have made exceptions for Pontiac and 348 type Chevy engines. Maybe DeSotos also Chryslers could use Poly heads.

Offline Beef Stew

aq
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »

What?  That's ridiculous?  How about the whole premise for the class and how that's worked out?

Stan Back
(Way back.)

Wanting a low-cost roadster class isn't ridiculous. But like many things SCTA, it was SNAFU from the very beginning, and the implementation was FUBAR.

Want fast low cost racing? Prothero is  getting close to 200 at El Mirage with his C-Pro Camaro.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
     Stan Back, I couldn't agree more. My post was strictly tongue in cheek. Now take some deep breaths .......... George

Offline racergeo

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
  It doesn't take a rocket sinusnuts to relise dat the rols to this clas nead to be revizitud. Havin sed taht I nominat Stan too do the math. Go too the ruls commite and give them some inteligeut impuutg. mak this an inteligent and relavant class.!!!!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »
Why not just build a d@mn car and set a record?  No one is going to do sh!t about the rules.

:dhorse:

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline racergeo

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
  My bad. Forgot to use auto correct.  :lol:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
    If you do enjoy throwing money away I have a lot of parts for a MEL 430 Lincoln engine including a 6 carb Edelbrock intake. I don't have a crank so if you can round up a crank for one of the small C.I. variations of this engine you could offset grind the rods to suit a BBC conrod. and wa la, a world beater. They have big intakes and O.K. ex. ports. You would be the George Poteet of C/AIR. :-D

Racergeo,

Have you seen this article on a MEL engine? Pretty interesting on the interpretation of the rules.

Tom G.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/photo-gallery-video-jon-kaases-amazing-mel-engine/

PS. I heard the 200 mph record did not stand as the racer never submitted evidence that the heads were legal for the class.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:10:46 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »
DSman --

I hear those F6 (8?) motors are eligible!  Get going!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
  Tom, I have read that several times and it never ceases to amaze me at Kaase's imagination. I say Jon Kaase for president,                                                                                  of the world!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
    If you do enjoy throwing money away I have a lot of parts for a MEL 430 Lincoln engine including a 6 carb Edelbrock intake. I don't have a crank so if you can round up a crank for one of the small C.I. variations of this engine you could offset grind the rods to suit a BBC conrod. and wa la, a world beater. They have big intakes and O.K. ex. ports. You would be the George Poteet of C/AIR. :-D

Racergeo,

Have you seen this article on a MEL engine? Pretty interesting on the interpretation of the rules.

Tom G.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/photo-gallery-video-jon-kaases-amazing-mel-engine/

PS. I heard the 200 mph record did not stand as the racer never submitted evidence that the heads were legal for the class.

Tom, I have read that several times and it never ceases to amaze me at Kaase's imagination. I say Jon Kaase for president,                                                                                  of the world!

There is ALWAYS someone else with more:

A/   desire,
2/   money,
d/   technical expertise,
z/   etc, etc . . . . .

The "trick", as always, is to just get started, and to "maximize" what resources you have, and improving, when and where you can.

When he produced a time slip for 22 mph, who thought the midget would ever spend face time with Dan Warner in impound?   :-D

You can't make stuff like this up.   You either gotta "do it", or regret it on your death bed . . . . . .

Just sayin'

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline desotoman

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
DSman --

I hear those F6 (8?) motors are eligible!  Get going!

Stan

Good one Stan. Those F(ormula)8 motors from the 1950's got sold when they were deemed illegal for the class.

I am currently working on a DS for this class when money permits. ( I played the lotto and lost )

If I can run as fast as you have at El Mirage I will be extremely happy.

That is it in a nutshell.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.