Author Topic: Chuck Kalbach  (Read 2511 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Chuck Kalbach
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
From the SCTA health and welfare: Jeanice called this morning to tell us that Chuck Kalbach passed away last night. He turned 85 in August and they had just celebrated their 64th Wedding Anniversary. Chuck was a long time member of the Rod Riders and one of our most treasured volunteers for many years - a true friend to the SCTA. He will be sorely missed. More information will be available soon.

Known Chuck all my life.  A good guy.  Easy going.  Did the course layouts at El Mirage for a long time.  Sad to hear he has passed.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Chuck Kalbach
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the sad news, Nathan. Sorry to hear about Chuck.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:38 PM »
This one hurts.

Chuck helped me get to my first LSR event. 

It was 1993 or 94, and I wanted to come out to El Mirage to see what this "LSR" thing was all about.  I had NO IDEA who to talk to.

Because of their long-time involvement with land speed racing, the only contact I could even THINK of was Mooneyes.  

I called and explained what I wanted to do - a trip with my dad for the November meet, and they put me in touch with Chuck.

This was pre-internet, so I wrote him, and he wrote back to me with information, and a map!

We made a point to look him up when we arrived to thank him.

That weekend, he was running either a '52 or '53 Ford.  The car had seen a couple of iterations, and because of the year, he could run either a flathead or the OHV inline 6.  He mentioned it was a class rule regarding the engine choices, which I didn't quite understand - didn't look like there were any rules to me!  One guy had a 351 Cleveland powered Camaro there, so I was confused.   Before I left, I had purchased my first SCTA-BNI rulebook.

It's entirely possible that if I hadn't made that trip, I might never have been involved in LSR.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.  My gratitude to Chuck, for simply taking the time to put together a note and a map, is heartfelt and unwavering.

Godspeed, sir, and thank you, so much.

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:09:11 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »
Chuck has been a SCTA supporter for longer than I can remember. He always seemed to have time for anyone asking for it. He was a friend. RIP Mr. Kalbach.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro