Author Topic: Can I modify the inner fender/liner in Classic Production?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline gtldvm1987

• New folks
Can I modify the inner fender/liner in Classic Production?
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »
Subject says it all.  I started building my first LSR car and need a little clearance for what I want to do.  I can't find where it forbids it, but I don't want to show up after a 1800 mile trip to fail tech.  Can I modify the inner fender liner of a Corvair?  If not I'll figure another way.

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Can I modify the inner fender/liner in Classic Production?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
My reading sees no rule against it.

Some of these cars are slammed so low that without some sort of modification, they'd never safely steer without ripping a tire.

I DO think that you can ignore the radiator opening rule . . . :wink:

All that said, I'd call one of the numbers in the book and clear what you're looking to do.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
Subject says it all.  I started building my first LSR car and need a little clearance for what I want to do.  I can't find where it forbids it, but I don't want to show up after a 1800 mile trip to fail tech.  Can I modify the inner fender liner of a Corvair?  If not I'll figure another way.

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.

Greg... don't you know those cars are unsafe at any speed  :-D  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gtldvm1987

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »

Some of these cars are slammed so low that without some sort of modification, they'd never safely steer without ripping a tire.

All that said, I'd call one of the numbers in the book and clear what you're looking to do.

Thanks for the opinion.  I'll try to call and see what they say.  I don't want to change the attachment location, just the shape of the wheel well to better accommodate the wheel offset and the wheel/tire itself.

Offline gtldvm1987

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.

Greg... don't you know those cars are unsafe at any speed  :-D  :cheers:

So I've been told!  So I want to go fast enough to be totally reckless (and wreckless)!!!

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »

Thanks for the opinion.  I'll try to call and see what they say.  I don't want to change the attachment location, just the shape of the wheel well to better accommodate the wheel offset and the wheel/tire itself.

It would be better if you emailed the committee chair. That way the response can be put into your log book for future reference. Send photos or drawings showing what it is you would like to do would also be helpful.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
Am far from expert ( but have read the book a lot) but have not seen anything suggesting that fender liners are an issue. Cut it out, take it out modify it. Production rules say "the wheel openings may be radiused for tire clearance". Will that do what you need? The concern is the external body shape so flares are probably not legal.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019