Author Topic: Engine Builder Mag: Burton Brown  (Read 41800 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Engine Builder Mag: Burton Brown
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Pretty interesting wonder where the engine is now.  Burton ran a diesel in the liner at Speedweek this year setting a record.
 Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »
Ronnie, the engine will be in John Goodman's new lakester at World of Speed.  :cheers: :cheers:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15567.msg285560.html#msg285560
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I'll be doing Tech again at WoS, so I look forward to seeing this!  In the pictures in the article, I see just 4 exhaust pipes, so is this a 12-port (8 intake and 4 exhaust), arrangement?

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
...and Burton put a junkyard-fresh Mercedes OM606 engine into his streamliner, fitted it with a Goran Lindren supplied Dieselmeken injection pump and some "hot side" pieces from Luke Dale at DieselPump UK.  Burton got himself into the 200 mph club at Speed Week with that setup.

Steve

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
...and Burton put a junkyard-fresh Mercedes OM606 engine into his streamliner, fitted it with a Goran Lindren supplied Dieselmeken injection pump and some "hot side" pieces from Luke Dale at DieselPump UK.  Burton got himself into the 200 mph club at Speed Week with that setup.

Steve

Bet the mad scientist in all of that was Sid      :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »
Considering the engine and drivetrain changeout Burton did, the installation was remarkably clean and well conceived.

He's getting pretty damned good at this.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

Steve

Hey.... I resemble that remark! :roll:
Chris is right, Burton & the other cheese-heads did a really good job stuffing all that crap in there, I just brought the potatoes along in the 11th hour.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
We started the engine in John Goodman's car a couple of days ago, looks cool and sounds really good.  Getting the wiring finished today... still on track to make WoS.... in thrash mode now
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »

Steve

Hey.... I resemble that remark! :roll:
Chris is right, Burton & the other cheese-heads did a really good job stuffing all that crap in there, I just brought the potatoes along in the 11th hour.
  Sid.

Ah yes cheese and potatoes the victory dinner of champions just add salt.   :cheers:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
I'll be doing Tech again at WoS, so I look forward to seeing this!  In the pictures in the article, I see just 4 exhaust pipes, so is this a 12-port (8 intake and 4 exhaust), arrangement?

Jeff in Boise

http://www.engineprofessional.com/EPQ2-2015/index.html#p=60

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »
I regret not getting to fully see the potential with the 2L John Stowe engine that is now in John Goodmans Lakester it really can have some huge potential..... we just got off on the wrong foot with some of the drivetrain stuff and we didn't ever fully recover. We learned a lot but it also cost a lot to learn..... I hope John will make it happen with his Lakester...I dont know what the G/GL record is but I think John will have his name on it with that engine...Hope its got some good suspension too......

The junkyard Diesel engine and new drivetrain (lots of it from Ebay  :-D) all worked out pretty well without any real failures.....I know its quite interesting going from a pretty high buck engine to a free junkyard engine but that's what makes this S!#T so much fun....Really. Thanks Chris for the nice words too. It really is cool to get compliments from fellow racers because they really know what it takes to get it done. We did use the Turbo we got from Luke Dale but not the header, unfortunately it didnt fit and we ended up being fortunate enough to get the guys from VL performance in Appleton on board and they built a beautiful SS header, mounted the turbo behind the engine and also helped with the intake build and charge air piping along with other welding that needed to be done on the car. Aaron Saltsman from VL Performance is quite a talented fabricator.
Its just too bad it really is coming to an end at Bonneville for all of us. The writing is on the wall....IN REALLY BIG LETTERS.... That is part of the reason I pushed so hard to get the thing done and get it out there this year. Wow was it rough though. No suspension in the liner and if you watch the in car from the 3rd run you will all offer a ride for me to the funny farm cause I realized it really was crazy trying to go ANY speed in the liner with those conditions. Sid mentioned he saw the whole liner in the air a few times... I have no idea how even 1 end with suspension could make that much difference but if I had to pick which end it would be rear suspension trying to keep it more in contact with the ground.....Don't know how much suspension that the Speed Demon has or Danny Thompson's car but they gotta have some because their in car cameras don't show the same fun ride I had. The liner is completely capable of 300MPH+ if there ever is a smooth enough place to run on.

Anyway enough complaining about S!#T that isn't going to change......

Real thank you's to all of the sponsors who helped out (all listed on my website) and volunteer pit help, couldn't have done it without EVERYONE and yes Sid was a huge part of our success. He was there doing stuff and helping train guys with what needed to be done and what was important and what wasn't. He saved us at the line when I got in for the return run and my arm restraint decided to get hooked on the parachute pull and i accidentally deployed one of the chutes. Sid calmy fixed it and did a wonderful job pushing me off through the plowed field  :-D. Watching the rear camera it looked like it was fun trying to keep the pushbar lined up. He kept Sheri in the loop of what was going on and somehow kept her calm and had her sit in the front with him in the van. Good move Bud I know she really appreciated that. There was probably a dozen other things he helped with at key moments Ill never hear about because Sid has the experience to just do the right stuff without even thinking about it. Instinct.
So yeah thanks for bringing the potatoes Sid  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:46:09 PM by BurtonBrown »
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 05:42:41 AM »
Hi,

This 2 ports/1 valve arrangement has been done at least twice in the sixties:

The URS 500 4 engine drawn/made/built by Helmut Fath for sidecar racing, he got a world championship with it:

That head (he also raced the std arrangement, 1 port/1 valve...) was inspired by Fath's visit to the French "Sorcier" Jean Nougier who built, amongst load of other things, a DOHC 50cc racer a few years earlier with the same arrangement:

Patrick
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:48:30 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
Patrick.... I think the motor is 1 port and injector per valve, 2 intake valves per cylinder, so 2 injectors per cylinder.  The 2 exhaust valves share a common port.  Motor ran strong in the lakester....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »
It is a four valve head. Forget the exhaust side it is conventional two ports into one. Each cylinder has two intake valves and two injectors. The 'normal' inlet position and first injector splits into two ports to feed each intake on ONE side of the valve. The vertical port and injector then feeds the other side of the valve that would have been fed by the other 'normal' bifurcated split inlet, [sorry I just had to use that word]. These intersecting ports are arranged tangentially - not in-line - which differentiates this concept from the original Fath design and a few others that followed. Study this picture and the ones in my article to see if it helps. Even when you see it in person you may have to scratch both ends to finally get it!  :-o :-D

John Stowe wrote three articles on his cylinder head development for Race Engine Technology: Mar/Apr 2006, June 2006 & Dec/Jan 2010.