Author Topic: Are the ERC fuel tank seals and ERC fuel valid for the next events?  (Read 6739 times)

Offline salt240

• New folks
We came back from Speed Week with a full sealed tank of ERC A-8D.  Will the seal, if intact, and the fuel still be recognized as legal at the USFRA and World Finals events? At $25 a gallon I would really like to use a couple more gallons of it.

(Long time reader, first time post)
Best regards,

Randy
200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Are the ERC fuel tank seals and ERC fuel valid for the next events?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
The short answer is probably not... why? well if you were seen on t the return road or the pits with your fuel tank out upside down opening the lines, adding something to the fuel, someone will probably say something....  at home who's to say what happened.... not saying you would, just saying folks have been caught fiddling with their gas  :|
  If you read the rulebook, gas class vehicles must present themselves to the fuel truck with a dry tank for filling and sealing....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
Section 16 of your rule book. Record certification. Call who's listed or email them. They can always us the gas checker as well, but I would definitely recommend to contact the record cert. people.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline MRK

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
We came back from Speed Week with a full sealed tank of ERC A-8D.  Will the seal, if intact, and the fuel still be recognized as legal at the USFRA and World Finals events? At $25 a gallon I would really like to use a couple more gallons of it.

We'll have the tools to check gasoline for spec at both events. If it tests legal the tank can be re-sealed. Dan Warner is scheduled to be at the WOS and I'll be at the World Finals providing the events go off as planned.
Cheers, Mike
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
Lawn mowers love A-8D.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
Lawn mowers love A-8D.
I just drained out the extra and supplemented the Premium in the tank of my MGB daily driver at a rate of 1:4.  Makes for a great octane booster - I was able to dial in 4 additional degrees of advance for about a week and took full advantage of the supercharger.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
Several years ago I ask Rick about saving fuel in containers. He said as long as the container sealed tight, it would be OK indefinatly, otherwise the volitility would change.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »

We'll have the tools to check gasoline for spec at both events. If it tests legal the tank can be re-sealed. Dan Warner is scheduled to be at the WOS and I'll be at the World Finals providing the events go off as planned.
Cheers, Mike

So taking this question on step further, I came home from Speed Week with twelve gallons of ERC 110 in the tank and immediately drained it into non vented metal cans for storage. If I submit it to Dan next year (I'm told race gas will keep two + years if stored in metal cans) can he recertify it?
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline MRK

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
I'll understand you to mean "recertifying" it at Speed Week. If that is the case then we have two options...

A) Have Ron at ERC confirm what it is and have them seal your container.
B) Have either Dan or myself measure it and seal it providing we have the tools on the Salt which we should.

Easy as pie.

Cheers, Mike

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
It will be tested using the SCTA tester at El Mirage no matter what if you set a record. It is in their procedures found on-line. If your worried about it take a sample when your getting inspected and have it tested, I do it everyday before I run since I run SONOCO products and been know to mix a few. I've never been over their stated limit or even close for that matter. It's a DE constant I think.

You will find the limits either in the rule book or procedures.....no big deal.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro