Author Topic: First Time on the Salt Non-Race Related Questions  (Read 9588 times)

Offline x111103

• New folks
First Time on the Salt Non-Race Related Questions
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am planning to attend World of Speed next month and have a few questions that aren't car related.  I will be attempting the 130mph club but I also want to enjoy watching the other races and events happening all weekend.  I want to be respectful to the salt as well as to the other spectators there.

1.  Is it okay to bring a sunshade that attaches to the ground? Something like this: https://goo.gl/photos/23o9feapNZbf4pzk6
2.  If it is okay, what type of stakes are recommended for the salt?
3.  What's the wind typically like?
4.  What's a typical day schedule like?  When is driver's orientation?  How early can you start?  How late does it last?
5.  I'm bringing my co-pilot, Lucy, a 19 month old American Staffordshire.  I have some booties to protect her paws, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a dog out on the salt?  Would she be allowed in the car during my runs?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer any of these and I look forward to a great experience and meeting some new people on the salt.

Aaron & Lucy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:30:23 PM by x111103 »

Offline salt27

Re: First Time on the Salt Non-Race Related Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
I'll take the first three.

1. Yes, just make sure it is not in the way.

2. I used to put screws in with a drill but now use spikes because of the salt conditions.

3. It varies, hopefully none to calm but that can change to strong gust in a short amount of time.
    Don't leave anything that can sail, up over night in your pit or it probably will not be there in the morning.

Welcome aboard, Don

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »
Oh yeah, If you haven't be on the USFRA web site, you should.

I think some of your questions are answered on there.

Offline x111103

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:21 PM »
Thanks, Don.  No, I have not been on that site yet, but I will check it out. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
If you dig around on this site you can find a few F A Q pages telling you stuff, too. 

Facts you'll likely not believe 'til you've seen them happen:

Taking down the fabric of your EZ-UP is a no-brainer for overnight, but maybe take it down during the day when you go to make a run.  the wind comes up that quickly and all of the folks in the pits will be too busy rescuing their stuff to take time to grab yours.

Taking down the framework of the EZ-UP for overnight might sound like overkill, but -- take a look in the garbage rolloffs at the end of an event for proof that it's wise to consider taking down stuff.

I've found a hammer drill and 4-6" long 1/4" lag bolts, with big stainless washers, a good way to secure stuff.  YMMV - the salt changes all the time.

Next?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline x111103

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Thanks.  Lag bolts and washers added to the list.  That was the exact type of answer I was looking for.  Someone that has had time on the salt to offer up their favorite method to secure a tarp or tent.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »
Use lag bolts that have thread all the way to the head for the thin salt crust.
  Sid.

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Welcome aboard, you will enjoy running the 130 club, but it's not as easy as it looks! And since you said you hadn't been on the USFRA site, that means you haven't pre-registered so you missed a chance to save almost $200 on your entry fee, plus you need to be a member for another $50 , so bring lots of $ but it is SOOOO worth it. You need to go to that site and make sure your vehicle meets all the requirements to run,read the section about 130 club rules and certainly ask questions before you make the trip for naught. The inspectors at WOS are a bunch of great guys and will try their best to let you run, so a little pre- race prep will go a long way! Good luck , see you out there , Lord willing and the creek don't rise ! :cheers: :-D 

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
I left my EZ UP for some college kids to have shade. All I asked is that they take the canvas down over night.  Being Engineering grads they figured it would be OK over leaving it up. This was the year  with the big rain storm a few back. It wasnt all right and it cost me a new one. Thankfully I didnt attend college. I rounded up enough scraps for shade out of the dumpsters & they said thats only enough shade for two. There you go, they were smarted then I thought, figured it right out

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
Make sure you have a good CB radio.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Fundamental basics:
pop-up tent (at least 1), spikes, and a big hammer
handheld CB radio (Amazon?)
Battery powered FM radio
folding chairs
cooler with LOTS of water and Gatorade to stay hydrated
Tarps and potentially plywood for under your car if you plan to do some work on it, such as adding ballast weight for traction. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
This is sort of a tangent but still worthy of this Forum, I think.

We checked out the truckstop (exit 4) and the new proprietors are stocking a range of CB radios - starting out with the $50-60 basic dashboard unit.  Pilot, at the far end of W. Wendover, used to be the only place to get cheap good sets - now we've got another choice.

if you're only going to listen - a handheld may be good enough for you, but for 60 bucks - buy a radio that connects to the car's 12v system and a real antenna and you'll have lots more fun listening.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Promote Lucy to "Crew Chief" - she can oversee rations and be the "lead dog" in the welcoming committee when you pick up your time slip.

I don't know that there's a formal rule on this, but I doubt they'll let you race with a navigator.  The officials and safety folks aren't prepared to be pulling two mammals out of a car.  You'll need to concentrate on keeping it between the mile markers, and God forbid something happened, you'd never forgive yourself if Lucy got hurt. 

Regarding Lucy - even with booties, it's a tough environment for a canine.  I'd bring along a dedicated rug or blanket that she can stand on, and try to keep her in the shade.  You'll want to keep a close eye on her out there.  Even with the booties, she'll be licking her paws, and ingesting more salt than normal. 

Personally, I wouldn't bring a dog, but I understand the familial bond that pets bring to the relationship. 

I saw about a dozen pet owners at Speedweek this year with their dogs in tow - perhaps someone who has brought a dog on the salt might have some advice they'd share.

Have fun - the USFRA does a great job with this event.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »
For dog-on-the-salt advice -- contact Wendy Jeffries, the lady that runs the Bonneville Racing News.  She's also a dog trainer and handler and Kong, her pup, has spent many hours with her on the salt.  She's seldom on this Forum, but shouldn't be difficult to find if you search for the BRN.

If anyone can give you valid info -- it'd be Wendy.  Another person with dog experience is Betty Burkland, but her dog is so small (I think it'd fit in my left armpit) that I've never seen it NOT being carried. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline x111103

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
Welcome aboard, you will enjoy running the 130 club, but it's not as easy as it looks! And since you said you hadn't been on the USFRA site, that means you haven't pre-registered so you missed a chance to save almost $200 on your entry fee, plus you need to be a member for another $50 , so bring lots of $ but it is SOOOO worth it. You need to go to that site and make sure your vehicle meets all the requirements to run,read the section about 130 club rules and certainly ask questions before you make the trip for naught. The inspectors at WOS are a bunch of great guys and will try their best to let you run, so a little pre- race prep will go a long way! Good luck , see you out there , Lord willing and the creek don't rise ! :cheers: :-D 

I guess I was wrong.  I actually had been on that site, I just didn't realize it was saltflats.com.  I've paid the entry fee and membership dues.  I believe I should pass all the tech qualifications. Driveshaft loop is installed, W rated tires, 3 point OEM belts, full helmet.  No nitrous. My battery is in the trunk next to the spare, but not with a metal tie down, just a strap.  That one is still on the list.  Thanks for the advice.