Author Topic: Trying to Find Timing Records for 1930 Hupmobile worked on by Bill Kenz  (Read 3142 times)

Offline CordBlomquist

• New folks
My father passed away in July and was working to finish a one-of-a-kind Hupmobile that raced at Bonneville. The car was owned by Dr. Norbert Knoch, who pulled the shrapnel from Ab Jenkins' arm during his famous 1937 endurance run. Bill Kenz worked on the car as a young man--I'm working with Nick of Nick's Hot Rod Shop in Denver, CO to get a copy of a notebook Kenz used to work out the timing for the Hupp.

I wrote an extensive history of the vehicle and posted it at the H.A.M.B. at the Jalopy Journal, you can view that history here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hupmobile-that-raced-at-bonneville-alongside-ab-jenkins.1055247/

I'm hoping that folks here at the Landracing Forum can help me find some record of the Hupmobile being timed. This would add to the history and help me show that the car actually went 135MPH as the letters I have from the doctor's widow attest.

Here are pictures of the car back in the day and during restoration:

Offline jimmy six

Re: Trying to Find Timing Records for 1930 Hupmobile worked on by Bill Kenz
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Good luck, best bet is Jim Miller who has collected and copied records from a lot of personal collections. The SCTA will have nothing as they organized in 1937.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
I think it's Sociaty of Automotive Historians
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline CordBlomquist

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
Good luck, best bet is Jim Miller who has collected and copied records from a lot of personal collections. The SCTA will have nothing as they organized in 1937.

Do you know how I might get in touch with Jim Miller? It's a hard name to Google and I can't find his contact info on the landspeed sites. Please email me at cord.blomquist@gmail.com or call me at 608-780-8229.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:04:59 PM »
email sent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records