Author Topic: Request for coments about ThrustSSC Jayne Millington team member  (Read 3312 times)

velocity

Land Speed Racers and fans. . .

Jayne Millington was a ThrustSSC team mate who became my dear friend through that epic speed adventure we all experienced 20 years ago. Jayne’s death a couple weeks back is a damn cruel twist, just when she had been posted to NATO where we all know she would have made another valuable contribution.

It is about contributions that I write to all of you now.

Her brother, Jon Millington, has asked me to help craft a bit of prose about what Jayne did out on the Black Rock Desert in 1997. All he really knows is that she was part of the adventure, but few details. I am reaching out to not only Thrusters, but those in the land speed racing community who may have been met Jayne, or borne witness to the “Supersonic Showdown” through her many CB radio updates to spectators strewn throughout Gerlach area.

Would you please stop, take a few minutes to collect your ThrustSSC thoughts and recollections, and then email a few lines about your impressions about Jayne? I respectfully ask all of you to think of your comments as a farewell gift.

I will assemble all replies, together with my own contribution and photos (any Jayne shots also very welcome) into a tribute about Jayne’s World Land Speed Record days.

As Air Commodore in the RAF, Jayne earned significant respect and admiration for her military prowess and leadership. Over the years, through visits to many of her postings, I came to know and understand the gal was all-in, all the time serving unselfishly to ensure the welfare of others.

Her funeral will take place at St Clement Dane’s church in London on June 19th.

I will need whatever you choose to contribute no later than Friday, June 9th.

As Jon wrote to me:

"She led a colourful life: it should be drawn together and recorded somehow I think. I would be very grateful if you could help to shed some light on some of those areas unfamiliar to me (I was a surly 20 something at the time).”

Best wishes

velocity

Re: Request for coments about ThrustSSC Jayne Millington team member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
Pork Pie astutely pointed out that I had neglected to indicate where to send your thoughts and comments about Jayne Millington.

Please email to me and I will combine and send over to the UK.
note you must substitute @ for the AT - a small attempt to deny bots their scavenging victory.

techATlandspeedproductions.biz