Author Topic: WORLD OF SPEED 2017  (Read 51452 times)

Offline GW

Re: WORLD OF SPEED 2017
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
Monte - thx for posting the schedule. Has the start of things moved forward to Friday? I'm recalling the opening ceremony used to be Saturday morning but now it shows Friday morning.

GW

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »
Yes indeed, the schedule has changed for this year. The past few years we would start on the Saturday following Labor Day.  This year we had to move it back a week. After some discussion it was decided to start the racing on Friday rather than Saturday.  So yes everyone, racing starts on September 15th this year.

Offline Texican

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 01:49:01 AM »
  Yes, I guess "The weather here continues to be warm and dry so things are looking good!"

Friday on my front porch, in Millcreek, about 1600; Temp: a nice even 100* and 06% humids. Wendover doesn't vary much from us with this giant high pressure.
Good hunting, guys...

Jim

Offline GW

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Monte - thx for the clarification on the schedule. Was aware of the week change but wasn't aware of the Fri/Sat change... we'll plan accordingly. Thx also for the massive effort, as always, to plan, setup, and host the meet.

GW

Offline edinlr

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
For those of us in the slow learners class, will racing start on Friday or Saturday?
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »
For those of us in the slow learners class, will racing start on Friday or Saturday?
              Friday!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »
We have found a track! Thanks to Dennis Sullivan and Larry Volk. After several trips to the salt and hours of checking all areas of the flats, they have found a suitable place for our long course.  It will be a full 5 mile track, matching the normal long course configuration.  The caveat will be that the layout will change in that a safe turnout will be to the right, or freeway side of the course instead of the mountain side.  The emergency turnouts will be made to the mountain side.
The return road will be in between the long and short courses and so the safe turnouts for the short course will be to the left.  I know this will be much different than what most of you are familiar with but salt conditions dictate the change for this year. We will have maps available for all competitors and spectators and make every effort to make this a smooth change over.
Dennis feels confident that the tracks will prove to be much smoother that what was available during Speedweek.  I will be going out to begin dragging the tracks on the 9th of September, so that should give us ample time to get things adequately prepared.
We are looking forward to seeing all of you on the salt. Safe travels. 

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 02:43:39 AM »
Monte, thanks for the great news for all the racer they like to compete this year.

Unfortunately I will be not there this year, due to a private issue, which keeps me home.

For you all, safe and successful racing and stay always upright.

Hope I can follow the meet here over the notes at Landracing......so, use the PC and type from time to time an update
what is going on at the great white.

I will miss it  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
And we will miss you Mr. Pie, you are part of the fun and a great photographer, will save you some pepperoni!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline GW

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
Monte - fantastic news - when you say, "It will be a full 5 mile track, matching the normal long course configuration.", does that mean 5 plus shutdown?

GW

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
Thanks Monte for the great news. This will be our first time at WOS. Glad to hear the long course might be smoother.

Ted
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline toclub

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
Thanks for the info Monte. However, turn outs to the right is no problem for the roadsters, lakesters and aussies, it is a problem with the vehicles with large hood scoops. We can not see well to turnout to the right. The last time this was used, I remember a new black studie running into the back of another studie that did not pull far enough forward. It destroyed both cars. The turnouts have to be very wide if possible. It may be the same as speedweek, if you can not turn off safetly then they will just stop on the course and wait for someone to push them off. This makes for a very slow meet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »
I remember a number of times when the starter would ask me "Which way are you going to turn out?" -- to make sure that I knew if I was on a left- or right- turn out course.  Between long course and short and rookie and so on -- there are many instances where a "right-turnout-means-all-is-okay" happens.  Maybe you need a periscope to get a little bit of right-side scenery piped in? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
Anybody that has an apartment building on the hood can use a truck mirror inside to see down the back alley for turn-out.
  Sid.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
This will be our first World of Speed event as well. We will be driving up from Florida and looking forward to it! :cheers: