Author Topic: El Mirage November 2017 meet  (Read 19250 times)

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
Re: El Mirage November 2017 meet
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
NOVEMBER MEET TOP TIME CLARIFICATION

To All,

At our November Meet, we had some confusion concerning the Top Time of the Meet & in this case Top Time of the Year.

Car #7800 put down an amazing run of 283+ MPH!

Unfortunately they were running as a Rookie & had been given a speed limit of 250 MPH. As is the case with all Rookies who exceed the given limit the run does not count. The run was a thing of beauty, but as they say........RULES ARE RULES.

Shortly after that run, car #788 put down a sizzling run of it’s own at 274+ MPH! Both vehicles displayed PERFECT shutdown & turn out ability. Thank you both for that!

So with all that being said we will be awarding car #788 Top Time of the Meet & Top Time of the Year. Congrats!!

To car #7800, thank you for your understanding & we look forward to more blistering runs in 2018!

To both drivers, Mr. Rick Yacucci & Mr. Bob Dalton & also Mr. Pete Belich ,who is our Rookie Orientation Coordinator, I extend my sincerest apologies for any confusion in this matter.

I hope we can make this a happy ending to a very trying year!

Thank you for your time..................................................Pat

MOVIN’ ON!......................................

Pat McDowell
SCTA President / Race Director

Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline nebulous

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
Rookie rules are in place to get the driver accustomed to the track for safety, and to help prevent a BLM response to driver error. 

While on that note, in regards to driving outside the SCTA track boundaries.  I think more or bigger cones, or some improved means to define the track would be more effective than more rules that punish mistakes. 

Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »
I can see the Headlines !!!!!!!!

:-D  HIGH DESERT- HIGH SPEEDS - LED TO HIGH DRAMA  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
Rookie rules are in place to get the driver accustomed to the track for safety

I couldn't agree more.  I'm a little bummed to hear that Bob blew his speed limit by 30+ miles an hour.  It was an awesome pass to witness but rules are rules.

While on that note, in regards to driving outside the SCTA track boundaries.  I think more or bigger cones, or some improved means to define the track would be more effective than more rules that punish mistakes.

The penalties are there to back a serious policy that's a response to a serious problem.  I don't think the problem has ever been visibility of the course or the boundaries.  I honestly can't even begin to wrap my head around understanding how people either A) miss the finish line or B) think they're at Bonneville and are running in a timed mile and the finish line is the start of that mile.  Regardless of either of those situations, there's probably nothing more dangerous out on the lakebed then someone running off the end of the course at a high rate of speed or worse yet, still under power.  Unfortunately there isn't a simple metric for deciding "how bad" someone went out of bounds so if you went out, you went out.  Doesn't matter if it's a foot or a mile at 2 mph or 200 mph.  Out is out.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
Actually, there was leeway given to me by the person overseeing me.. the 250  or so... BUT mainly say in bounds... I used two chutes.. coasted to the far left barrier, about 100 ft away and about 200 - 300 ft from the end.. I could have stopped much sooner.. but wanted to be out of the way of any cars that may come by.. when I asked the official what was next.. I was told go to the banquet and get a trophy..  At NO TIME after that run was I approached by any Official or the "Rookie Coordinator" to tell me I did wrong.. I have an Unlimited license.. I thought the deal was to see if I could keep in bounds ..  as they had many who could not...  and that was the "most empathized" part of the conversation... "The BLM lady is right there.. watching"

If an Official would have said I was wrong.. there was time to run again, Now I have to run under 250 again... although I was told by a High, Highest, Official I wouldn't have to.. Only took 2 days for him to change his mind on that..

The Rookie Coordinator never once came to see me...  I believe he was busy with Rick's car... and they did get a record... good for them... and days later they visited the board to talk about my run...

and the rest is history..

Nathan ... you remember my re- license at Bonneville... You and Lee were fair..  and I ran 333, after the under 200 run.

I've never had any trouble driving ever... 

27 years with a red hat.

This kind of reminds me of a situation where they don't have many volunteers, so they don't want to upset the ones they have... even if THEY aren't doing their jobs well.. Seems if one official was good with my performance, and the rookie coordinator didn't bother to chat with me, then.... it should be a non issue...  The fact that he worked on the car that benefitted, then he should have recused himself, to save his integrity.

And let what the official who was over seeing me, make the decision.

So I'll catch more crap ... but that's what happened... from my little nitro filled world..

Catch me in May .. or at the Banquet ... bust my butt.. tell me I'm wrong.. whatever..

Bob Dalton

283  in bounds

Offline nebulous

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
Rookie rules are in place to get the driver accustomed to the track for safety

I couldn't agree more.  I'm a little bummed to hear that Bob blew his speed limit by 30+ miles an hour.  It was an awesome pass to witness but rules are rules.

The penalties are there to back a serious policy that's a response to a serious problem.  I don't think the problem has ever been visibility of the course or the boundaries.  I honestly can't even begin to wrap my head around understanding how people either A) miss the finish line or B) think they're at Bonneville and are running in a timed mile and the finish line is the start of that mile.  Regardless of either of those situations, there's probably nothing more dangerous out on the lakebed then someone running off the end of the course at a high rate of speed or worse yet, still under power.  Unfortunately there isn't a simple metric for deciding "how bad" someone went out of bounds so if you went out, you went out.  Doesn't matter if it's a foot or a mile at 2 mph or 200 mph.  Out is out.
Punishment happens after the deed is done. More visible track markers would help us AMATEUR drivers negotiate the track,and help us stay within bounds.
If compromises are made like in Daltons case, it should be made by an official group not one person.
Thanks
Jack Costella   

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2017, 11:01:20 PM »
Jack Costella   

Even top times... :cheers:

Lol

Bob

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
MY drivers lisc idea came up after a similiar situtation  with my car. lots of drama and issues could be resolved by the signatures sigining off on each lis. and the race director final sig as being lis up that that level. Then you can run on a record at that location.---

:dhorse: NOT OUT OF THE ROOKIE LINE.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:31:29 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
7800ebs -- PM sent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records