Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!  (Read 357235 times)

Offline joea

Re: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
the sound quality you provided was perfect to me...all the extra voices, bits of chit chat
etc is a big part of what make it better ...it made it WAY better ...as little bits and pieces
of extraneous...but real sounds and voices..banter...made it exceptional

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online jl222

« Reply #287 on: August 27, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
Something to ponder
   Here in CT. Yale university at one time used an interesting process to make their polo grounds smooth. The equipment used was simple. A length of pipe was attached to a truck with chain then across that pipe was a long section of page fence to keep the fence in line and in shaped at the end of the page fence was another length of pipe. When dragged across the dirt surface this simple device worked like a file it lowered the high spots and deposited the material into the low spots.
   That my friends should work on our fragile salt surface. Some experimentation would be in order but I bet with a little weight on the rear end pipe the fence material would do what we need. Then using the dragging equipment now in use as a final pass over the fence leveling system we might actually have something smooth again without removing what little surface is available to work with.
 Ronnieroadster

That sounds great. Hope USFRA tries it. Was that chain link fence?

JL222

Offline noboD

« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
As a one time watcher at Bonneville the broadcast is perfect. Thanks for your effort! When I hear them go down the track I can still see it, thanks to you!!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Here is a picture of the salt surface where we set up out pit. It was lumpy and thin. I don't know what caused the hole in the crust, we didn't do anything to cause it. If the salt conditions were this bad in the 1800s, the Donner Party would have never made it across Bonneville.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

They would have just had an early lunch, Neil!  :-o :-D :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
Who's for lunch?

Don't need to salt the fresh meat.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
Something to ponder
   Here in CT. Yale university at one time used an interesting process to make their polo grounds smooth. The equipment used was simple. A length of pipe was attached to a truck with chain then across that pipe was a long section of page fence to keep the fence in line and in shaped at the end of the page fence was another length of pipe. When dragged across the dirt surface this simple device worked like a file it lowered the high spots and deposited the material into the low spots.
   That my friends should work on our fragile salt surface. Some experimentation would be in order but I bet with a little weight on the rear end pipe the fence material would do what we need. Then using the dragging equipment now in use as a final pass over the fence leveling system we might actually have something smooth again without removing what little surface is available to work with.
 Ronnieroadster

That sounds great. Hope USFRA tries it. Was that chain link fence?

Yes page fence is chain link square pattern shaped like a diamond
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline noboD

« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
That is what most baseball infields are drug with too

Offline jdincau

« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
     I was pretty discouraged, I have seen the salt as rough and as wet before (started in 1962) but never so thin. I am amazed they were able to drag it at all without peeling the whole top layer off. On Saturday the road to the short course just past the long was so thin that by 11:00 AM there was 1/4 mile stretch where there were 6 inch deep pot holes into the underlying mud. There does not appear to be enough salt crust over the mud to act as a buffer between it and the water table.
     When we got to the short course I had to use a wet T shirt to get the mud off the race car. After they moved the long course down a mile and bypassed the muddy section there were still giant pot holes on the road by the dyke. Towing the car back and forth was very nerve wracking, we stubbed the duce shell on the street roadster (2 inch ground clearance) while towing and cracked it.
     We weren't prepared for the wet track conditions and needed another 500 pounds of weight. We were slipping both rear tires 15 to 20 MPH, needless to say we spun 2 out of 4 tries. Driver said at least it wasn't boring like running on a hard dry track like in 2009/10. We are talking about a 160 MPH Street Roadster here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:47:37 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ol swede

• New folks
« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:51 PM »
Been back from SW for 10 days now & still  things come to mind that I wish I'd paid more attention to. Was a great trip.

Want to say thanks to;

Sid for the advice on what to prepare for
All the racers & volunteers participating
Everyone now posting pics of everything I couldn't possibly take in while there.

SW was a great show even with all of the challenges you faced .

Intend to return, Yeah The Salt can be addictive

Dale

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
Slim the radio was great fun,
Lying in bed listening in france late evenings and night, (8 hrs infront here)
Mondays broadcast made me giggle, your duck tone phone rang, i thought for a few seconds (in my half sleepy state) what the hell is a duck doing at bonny ???
Wednesday evening i drifted off to sleep (no not cos your boring..lol) and woke up an hour later to american voices....wondered where id woken up...lol
Keep the cb stuff and other banter, it makes like you are there, especially the starting line and the other time relays,
Is there a way to use a directional microphone to hear the cars louder ?
Thanks again.

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:27 AM »
I'd just like to send out a big Pepperoni Bros. Congratulations to Alex Bilogi who put the 750 P-PP record back in the Guzzi camp after a years long battle with the Norton that nabbed it from me. His qualifying pass was 130+, that's movin' it for a V7 Sport, the best I ever did in that class is 123 and change. A well earned victory Sir, again, Congratulations! :cheers:
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
I'd just like to send out a big Pepperoni Bros. Congratulations to Alex Bilogi who put the 750 P-PP record back in the Guzzi camp after a years long battle with the Norton that nabbed it from me. His qualifying pass was 130+, that's movin' it for a V7 Sport, the best I ever did in that class is 123 and change. A well earned victory Sir, again, Congratulations! :cheers:

unbelievable really with those cruddy 30mm square slide carbs.

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »

unbelievable really with those cruddy 30mm square slide carbs.
More magic from Mike Rich Motorsports!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
One thing to remember is that after that massive rain storm on the Wednesday before Speed Week in 2014, a whole bunch of dirt and silt washed down from the mountains north of the salt.  When we went out there to pick everything up, course 1 and the pits were all buried in what was more a less now a giant wash boarded creek bed.  Unless all that dirt managed to magically percolate its way down below the original salt surface, I'd wager a guess that the thin salt we're seeing in the pits is actually new salt growth post-2014 and is on top of the creek bed.  That's encouraging because that's actually a measurable amount of growth but it's on top of a bunch of dirt that's on top of the rest of the good salt.  It's like a massive dirt/salt lasagna when what we want is a dirt/muck pie with a nice thick salt crust on top.  I don't think there's a way for us to fix that other than to wait until it does it on it's own and who knows how long that'll take.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member