Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!  (Read 357184 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!
« Reply #270 on: August 25, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »
So I talked so someone that has seen a number yearly salt surfaces,, like over 50 years.

He mentioned that this year the salt dried too hot too fast, so the higher pressure ridges were hard dry and the lower areas were still soft, then when the late rains came, the soft was diluted back into the mud, so the holes.

When BNI came to smooth, I heard the drag just chattered over the salt, normally you would have the soft salt to use to smooth and fill just not this year.

And what about all the salt that was blown down to Floating Mountain from Roads End (remember the 'lake' photos)?
I hear it is thick and flat,,,,,,,,

The holes had already formed in the dirt when I was there in June before the rain came.
  Sid.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #271 on: August 25, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
SSS, Where is the audio from the Lamm/Cook interview on Bolivia.  I went to Meredix.com (never heard of 'em before) and there is no "Listen now" (or whatever) link.
Thots please?
Thanks,
Jim Knapp

Thursday - the Bolivia chat runs from 1:21:20 to 1:34:50 (about 13 1/2 minutes).

Mike Cook difficult to hear some of the time.

Apparently four different film crews there.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
Apparently what we need is a giant power trowel.

https://youtu.be/ve7Nd-qs_Mo?t=2m13s
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline TCWorley

• New folks
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
Hi all,  Perhaps a bit off-topic at the moment, but I wanted to say a BIG thanks to all of you. I came with @Distributorguy with a '77 Datsun mini pickup this year. It was our first year in every way. New build, rookie driver, my first time at the flats even. I was blown away by the welcoming we received from staff and racers alike. SpeedWeek is a special event!

We had a great rookie year and are already buying new parts and scheming ways to go faster next year. Looking forward to seeing you all again on the salt God-willing.

-T.C.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Apparently what we need is a giant power trowel.

https://youtu.be/ve7Nd-qs_Mo?t=2m13s

This could be a new test & tune [the track]!  :-o :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
Save the salt is not working!  RETURN THE SALT should be the focus. Until there's more salt to work with the conditions will not get better. The salt is so thin now any extreme attempts to making the surface smooth will only remove what little salt remains and leave dirt in its place like Sid wrote.

:cheers: :cheers:

Sumner

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »
We might want to work on some kind of land swap and start racing where all the salt is - South of the freeway!

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
Something to ponder
   Here in CT. Yale university at one time used an interesting process to make their polo grounds smooth. The equipment used was simple. A length of pipe was attached to a truck with chain then across that pipe was a long section of page fence to keep the fence in line and in shaped at the end of the page fence was another length of pipe. When dragged across the dirt surface this simple device worked like a file it lowered the high spots and deposited the material into the low spots.
   That my friends should work on our fragile salt surface. Some experimentation would be in order but I bet with a little weight on the rear end pipe the fence material would do what we need. Then using the dragging equipment now in use as a final pass over the fence leveling system we might actually have something smooth again without removing what little surface is available to work with.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline jl222

« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »
Something to ponder
   Here in CT. Yale university at one time used an interesting process to make their polo grounds smooth. The equipment used was simple. A length of pipe was attached to a truck with chain then across that pipe was a long section of page fence to keep the fence in line and in shaped at the end of the page fence was another length of pipe. When dragged across the dirt surface this simple device worked like a file it lowered the high spots and deposited the material into the low spots.
   That my friends should work on our fragile salt surface. Some experimentation would be in order but I bet with a little weight on the rear end pipe the fence material would do what we need. Then using the dragging equipment now in use as a final pass over the fence leveling system we might actually have something smooth again without removing what little surface is available to work with.
 Ronnieroadster

Setting up our pits back in the 3rd "alley cat" :roll: row it was quite uneven with holes over an inch deep
so I flipped over my push broom and filled in some holes. Amazing :-o

Later in THE week I purchased a post hole digger and just before we left dug a hole. Guess what  its not just mud below the salt but mud mixed with mostly salt, Amazing.  I could only dig about 8'' deep before it was to hard to go deeper with out a digging bar, Looked at one in hardware shop but was looking for a lighter weight, Had the same at home and lost my lighter one.

Also hole filled with water as I was digging. Filled hole and headed out.

Not coming back until course is drivable.

Not pre-entering next year but waiting on a reliable source of runs made.

JL222

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2017, 12:47:15 AM »
The hard piece you ran into is a piece of the crystalline base that I've mentioned before, I couldn't find it earlier this year where I'd found it before & it's certainly interesting to know it's way over there now. I doubt anybody has mapped it's size & location (Intrepid not included) & Dr Bowen looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned it. It's only about an inch thick & being 8" down in the brine dirt is kinda odd.
Maybe I should go back down again this year & measure it. Sure wish I had a way to plot it's location.
  Sid. 

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2017, 01:20:17 AM »
I still would like to see the survey that I know the United States Army did before they started flying the B-29's over the salt flats training for the A-Bomb program. I can not believe that they didn't know exactly where they could or could not land those birds! And it would be a documented record of how thick the salt was. No BS, just the facts.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »
Here is a picture of the salt surface where we set up out pit. It was lumpy and thin. I don't know what caused the hole in the crust, we didn't do anything to cause it. If the salt conditions were this bad in the 1800s, the Donner Party would have never made it across Bonneville.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
We've been home for a week - now it's finally time for me to get on here and let you know that Nancy and I had a dandy time at SpeedWeek.  I hope that you were able to get some satisfaction from landracing.com, too.

First:  Thanks to Chris Conrad a/k/a MM.  He's saved the streaming day enough times to get a permanent spot on the thank you list, but this time he managed to make things work better than ever - by discovering that things went way more smoothly when we used a digital audio feed 'stead of analog.  A quick request to the Rice Brothers and I chased out to the tower and borrowed the needed cable and Chris plugged it in and the damned thing worked straight-on perfect for the rest of the week.  Thanks, Milwaukee Midget.  We appreciate your help.  Again.

Second:  Ron and I had a blast trying to keep our listeners up to date on what was going on.  It's not all that easy to break off in the middle of (what I thought was) a good joke to report on a car moseying on down the race course at 200-300-400 mph, but we tried.  If there was something that you think we should have done differently or better -- don't tell us.  Keep it under your hat and then next year you can be cranky at us some more when we do it again. :roll:

Third:  We are there at the pleasure of the sanctioning organisations -- SCTA and BNI.  They have established rules of conduct to which we adhere (whether personal choice or not) 'cause it's their football so we play by their rules.  If you are concerned about what information we offer after an incident (for instance) - please speak to Bill Lattin or Pat McDowell and let them know your concerns.  They'll tell us what we can do.

Yeah, I know that this might sound restrictive to some of you - deal with it.  We do.

Fourth:  Here's one that came out of the blue.  We've been offered some harsh criticism for opining about different ways to "fix" or "save" the salt.  For the sake of the record and the above paragraph -- it wasn't SCTA/BNI that scolded us.  Geez, folks, come on -- like we're supposed to shut the heck up if what we think isn't in perfect alignment with your espoused opinions?

Whatever.

Fifth:  How'd you like the new microphone outside the announce trailer -- the one that picked up engine sounds?  Yeah, I know -- it picked up Brett and Sherri and Freud and so on, and it did (but wasn't supposed to) pick up printers and the FM comm radios.  We'll have that system way better next time, too.  Thank Chris one more time for helping with a test mike and stuff.

Thanks to all that helped.  didja hear about Ronnie Roadster and how we (sorta, kinda) helped him get a red hat?  It was the coolest story of the week if you ask me.  Thanks for sharing the fun, Mr.(s) San Giovanni, and -- Nice Hats!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Thank you Slim. I had the audio feed running on my desktop computer at work and at home. I set up the salt cam web site to auto refresh every 2 minutes. It was almost like being there without the corrosion.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
We've been home for a week - now it's finally time for me to get on here and let you know that Nancy and I had a dandy time at SpeedWeek.  I hope that you were able to get some satisfaction from landracing.com, too.

First:  Thanks to Chris Conrad a/k/a MM.  He's saved the streaming day enough times to get a permanent spot on the thank you list, but this time he managed to make things work better than ever - by discovering that things went way more smoothly when we used a digital audio feed 'stead of analog.  A quick request to the Rice Brothers and I chased out to the tower and borrowed the needed cable and Chris plugged it in and the damned thing worked straight-on perfect for the rest of the week.  Thanks, Milwaukee Midget.  We appreciate your help.  Again.

Second:  Ron and I had a blast trying to keep our listeners up to date on what was going on.  It's not all that easy to break off in the middle of (what I thought was) a good joke to report on a car moseying on down the race course at 200-300-400 mph, but we tried.  If there was something that you think we should have done differently or better -- don't tell us.  Keep it under your hat and then next year you can be cranky at us some more when we do it again. :roll:

Third:  We are there at the pleasure of the sanctioning organisations -- SCTA and BNI.  They have established rules of conduct to which we adhere (whether personal choice or not) 'cause it's their football so we play by their rules.  If you are concerned about what information we offer after an incident (for instance) - please speak to Bill Lattin or Pat McDowell and let them know your concerns.  They'll tell us what we can do.

Yeah, I know that this might sound restrictive to some of you - deal with it.  We do.

Fourth:  Here's one that came out of the blue.  We've been offered some harsh criticism for opining about different ways to "fix" or "save" the salt.  For the sake of the record and the above paragraph -- it wasn't SCTA/BNI that scolded us.  Geez, folks, come on -- like we're supposed to shut the heck up if what we think isn't in perfect alignment with your espoused opinions?

Whatever.

Fifth:  How'd you like the new microphone outside the announce trailer -- the one that picked up engine sounds?  Yeah, I know -- it picked up Brett and Sherri and Freud and so on, and it did (but wasn't supposed to) pick up printers and the FM comm radios.  We'll have that system way better next time, too.  Thank Chris one more time for helping with a test mike and stuff.

Thanks to all that helped.  didja hear about Ronnie Roadster and how we (sorta, kinda) helped him get a red hat?  It was the coolest story of the week if you ask me.  Thanks for sharing the fun, Mr.(s) San Giovanni, and -- Nice Hats!!

Hope you were able to give/sell that old 23ch CB I donated to the cause to someone in need. I should have donated my new one as it won't transmit! !  :x :x :x
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)