Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!  (Read 357178 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2017 - the event!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
Update on the private rentals:  LEAVE 'EM WHERE THEY ARE.  THEY MUST BE CHECKED OUT BEFORE TAKEN.

Other than that, we saw yet another car stuck in the mud today.  Geez, folks, don't try it.  Unh, it's rough on the salt so far - so dont try driving really fast and don't try finding a smoother road - there ain't none yet.

The speed limit is 45 on the road from Land's End to the Truckstop. Suggestion:  Cruise control can save $$ - tickets are expensive bu plentiful.  Speaking of that, stop signs are FULL STOP signs, and we've already noticed the Wendover cops stopping lotsa cars for speeding in town.  Slow down.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
4.30 Wednesday afternoon and it's raining and thundering here in town.  Radar shows it's on the way here - this is just the beginning.  Stay tuned.  I don't know what's going on at the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »
How much longer will this continue???.
This whole hit and miss thing with SW really breaks my heart.
I spend hours on the forum checking out all that's going on, the builds, the tech stuff
and how all you guys live for this sport. Driving thousands of miles to get to Bonneville
only to have go back home due to conditions. I feel for every one of you. I pray that you get
a break this year.
I'll never whine about my situation again. Guys, I'm pulling for each and every one of you.
You need to be rewarded for that good time you all came for. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
5.30 and the sun is out, SCTA people are in the pool/hot tub, and the sun is out.

Now the fun stuff:  Did I tell you that I had to get a new little 'puter to stream the audio?  The old one went missing last year after WoS.  This morning I walked into Carquest and Mike said "Go look back there and see if that's what you're looking for."  Sure enough - there it was.  Great/crap.  So - I've got a one year old Toshiba laptop for sale.  Will use the newer one - probly get enough for the old one to make returning the new one too much bother.  I've got it set up - screw it, I'll use it.  Still -- after 11 months- the old one was right there after all. PooP!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GW

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Just so you know, fear not for I have been and will continue to do be doing my anti-rain dance for all of you.  I can only imagine the agony each year of waiting and hoping.

GW

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »
5.30 and the sun is out, SCTA people are in the pool/hot tub, and the sun is out.

Now the fun stuff:  Did I tell you that I had to get a new little 'puter to stream the audio?  The old one went missing last year after WoS.  This morning I walked into Carquest and Mike said "Go look back there and see if that's what you're looking for."  Sure enough - there it was.  Great/crap.  So - I've got a one year old Toshiba laptop for sale.  Will use the newer one - probly get enough for the old one to make returning the new one too much bother.  I've got it set up - screw it, I'll use it.  Still -- after 11 months- the old one was right there after all. PooP!

Good lord, Jon - does Nancy have to pin your mittens to your snow suit sleeves before you go tobogganing?  :roll:

The replacement microphone for the one you left at home will also be at CARQUEST on Friday, by the end of the day.  Shipped UPS.

Kids these days . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
I checked tracking too -- Friday.  I see on the job list that I've gotta go get the announce/timing slip trailer tomorrow - I think I'll immediately stash stuff in it to prevent unauthorised losing. :-o
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 12:50:59 AM »
  Getting old ain't for wimps...

Next subject:

Pork Pie is well zonkered out in my back bedroom.
He'll be smiling at ya'll by noonish.

My best lady is in recovery mode from a stroke induced due to nitwittery.

Fred Vance: if you see this give me a call; I would love to compare notes and experiences (advice?).
   801 231 6896. WE nearly lost her Sun AM  0300.

THanks all...prayer chains get good results!!!

Jim and MAC

Offline edinlr

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »
Did the salt get very wet?  Is it just an inconvenience, or is going to be an issue?
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
I haven't gone out there yet.  I know there was lotsa wind - toilets and tents and stuff got blown over, but no info on the water yet.

IMPORTANT:  My camera has opted to take a vacation, so I will be kinda hamstrung using Nancy's camera to get pics.  If anyone feels like adding pics here -- go right ahead.  Racers start arriving today and there'll be lotsa stuff to see - and I get to spend some time setting up the announce trailer so might be preoccupied.  Take and post pics, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
10 day from Wunderground shows severe clear:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:84083.1.99999

ENJOY!

Offline Muldo

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
When does the Live Stream go hot?
-Mike

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
Here's the latest, 'cuz Nancy and I jut got off the salt and know that it rained and blew - for about 15 minutes, and duped dozens or maybe even hundreds of raindrops on us.  Other than sending people scurrying for shelter - no big deal.  It was about 6PM anyway - with the clouds it was kinda darkening.

Mariani 'liner, Speed Demon, Challenger 2, Target 550, Buckeye (sorry - is this the Bullet or what - I forget) electric 'liner (I hear they've got a primo feed system set up for crew.  I hope radio announcers get to sample the goodies.  We're talking a major league smoker is what I hear).  The Cohn-Juciewcz Monza, the little #360 VW Fuel Altered car, Danny Burrows and the Blowfish (I don't know who/which is more fun - the ultra cool car or Danny), Roy Creel's V4 #53, a kneeler bike or two, I think I saw, and the Indian motorcycle contingent right smack in the middle of the beginning of the pits.

I got the phone fixed - it seems that keeping the iPhone 6 in a pocket when entering the hot tub isnot a good idea.  The new one - i7 - is rated, I'm told (based on my adventure last night) for 30 minutes at one meter deep.  I wuz only in the water about 10 seconds when I had my "Oh, Subaru!" moment.

I spent some time this afternoon updating stuff in the streaming laptop and going into the Meridix site's landracing.com page and things look like they oughta work.  I'll probably do some testing tomorrow - will letcha know when I try it so you can offer comments.  Later -
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:23:43 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GW

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
Are 9 miles enough for a Burkland appearance or is 11 miles still his minimum?

GW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
The toilets are here!

how about putting some in the pits... I counted 8 public ones, 4 at each end, in the square mile of pit
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O