Author Topic: Help-Crew members  (Read 5948 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Help-Crew members
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »
One of the disadvantages of a Sr. Citizen Racing is ---health issues and aging.  Things ie. normal life, be-fall your buddies and crew-members.
  If anyone knows of anyone that is interested in helping build and racing Lakesters and Mod-Pickups in the greater Phoenix area I sure would like to meet and talk to them.

Sparky -602-762-2211
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Help-Crew members
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:46 AM »
I have the same problem out here, Sparky and for the same reasons. Hope you ate able to solve yours.

John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
John, I keep hearing my mom, when something befell her, her response was---  "This Growing is not for sissies!"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
I understand your situation Sparky & you are not alone. When you're a backyard guy without a big checkbook it's a tough road to be on.
As you probably know I've been building a 4WD AA/BFS alone & on a lunch money budget for some time. At this point I have roughly 18k hrs into it with probably over 1k to go.
People that had said they would crew for me have moved on, moved away, had life changes, job changes & even passed away.
I passed the point of no return a long time ago with this monster so I figure when it's ready to make noise it will be time to find some crew. Who knows, maybe two more hillbillies & a couple of skool kids but I'll likely be running an ad just like you have, Help wanted.
I sure am sick of the same people saying "you done with that yet? :?" No!..... I'm Not Farking Dun With "That" Yet!!! WTF did you do with the last 8yr's of your life?
Stick with it Mate! Sorry that's all I can offer you.
  Sid. :-P

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »
Sid  who knows there might be a refugee from the Desert who might want to escape and come help...reality is I miss and appreciate all that the guys who did help when they could Joey, Dave and John.  Andy and Marty have been consumed by their jobs this year and a struggling just to stay keep their heads above water. Sid Thanks for the encouragement---you have many fans who wish you well--let us know---who knows--- you may have visitors

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
Same problem here. Lost my latest crew guy/helper. Built a big well equipped shop, have race car(s) ready. All dressed up and nowhere to go. Any hot rodders in San Diego area that still like to build what they run, contact me.

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:13:26 AM »
I think I am outside of Sparky's "Greater Phoenix" area, but I cross-posted to a site with a (potentially) slightly younger demographic. None of the people I remember meeting in Lemons are afraid of work.
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=35703
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:16:10 AM by mergatroyd »
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the Plug---just registered

Offline superleggera

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
Go talk with a few of the instructors at: (or call at 623-245-4600 -- same # for both campus)

- MMI at 2844 West Deer Valley Road in Phoenix

- UTI at 10695 West Pierce Street in Avondale

You can always get volunteers or as interns (you have to do more paperwork for the latter)

Option 2 is to load the lakester up and bring it to a local car show or the Pavillions in Scottsdale.  Put a "help wanted" sign on it -- local crew to help build / fabricate / maintain and race crew needed for Bonneville and SoCal dry lakes events.  Lots of retired guys around the valley who attend the car events but have no place in their retirement community to have their own projects.  Some great machinists, fabricators, mechanics and more would inevitably like a gig like this to get them out of domestic duties.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:24:20 PM by superleggera »
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »
Hey Sparky, once you can't get any more free help inside the doors, send the rest of them up 15 & tell them to bring warm clothing!  :-D
  Sid.

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 01:41:51 AM »
Sid,

There are Lemons folks up north too.

They generally understand that racing is hard, and requires elbow grease... I just have met fewer of them due to my southern location.

Q(uentin, if you must know my whole name).
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
I think I am a lemon for deciding to build this much streamliner alone & in a short shed. :| :dhorse:
  Sid.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
Sid, only true insanity separates us from others!  :-D :cheers:  :-D :cheers:
Otherwise we would just be unique - like everyone else!  :-o :-o  :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »