Author Topic: Bolivia  (Read 67576 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Bolivia
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
I'd have no problem with SCTA-BNI sanctioned records as long as they would listed separate like Muroc was for a few years in our rulebook. The real problem would be the 2 club figuring out minimums. I wouldn't want that job....
This is a great accomplishment for those of use who love, respect, and follow land speed trials...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
J.D. --

I'm with you.  The records in the Rule Book list "Bonneville" records, not salt records.  But I guess if we're talking FIM, that's a whole different ball game.

You could probably tell me, but I don't understand why the SCTA didn't run the same distance as El Mirage and just call them California Dry Lake records or something.  Did they have minimums?  Or did the "competitors" just run once or twice with vitutally no competition?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »
I ran at some of those meets. Set the V4/GR record at 130 mph. Which was considerably slower than the El Mirage record or even as fast as the car had run at El Mirage. The turn out wasn't real big or small. I guess they ran a mile and  half because they could. We didn't get trophys or certificates or anything. Mostly I think it was just to say you ran at Muroc.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »
Yeah the hump over the runway was a bitch wasn't it? :-o
  Sid.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2017, 12:09:05 AM »
Rich and Stan... I ran faster on Muroc than I ever had at El Mirage by 4 mph. Boy if I could have my current combination and go back.
As for receiving anything; every entry recieved an ORANGE timing tag made special for Muroc. The SCTA was not going to make anything special for records because all classes were open. As I was the guy making the timing tags I put a capital R in parentheses behind the speed of those who did set record because of multiple entries in the same class. The second year I wrote the word Record behind the speed if a record was set.
Today these are the rarest of SCTA timing tags.
There was only a hump the first year going south to north. The next year west to east on a great course.

Enough of this....I hope we get to read and see a lot more of Bolivia in Land Racings future....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2017, 02:34:41 AM »
From Mike Cook's facebook page:

The event is completed. No accidents, everyone is safe and preparing to head home. Al Lamb knocked out a 280 pass today and then Ralph Hudson ran a 289. Unfortunately, the Ack Attack came up short. Details are still sketchy. ... Ralph's new record is now 284 and change for the mile and 285 for the kilo, pending final ratification by the AMA/FIM officials.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »
Okay, as I said earlier, I don't do social media (who wants all those friends anyway?) so I don't know if this has been posted.
My lovely and talented assistant, and former Husky 400 rider, Bruce, has reported to me that Ack had mechanicals on every run and has packed it up to go home.  No other info at the moment on it or any other vehicles.  (Oops.  I just saw the previous post)
On a related note, Jon, just in case you weren't paying attention earlier, you should know that the salt is HARD.  VERY hard.
And for those of you who have been paying attention all along you should know that Bolivia epitomizes 2 of a racer's 3 favorite words:
1. HARD - Have I mentioned that the salt is REALLY hard?  Jon.... Jon... are you paying attention?  Jon?
2. CHEAP - Right now I'm typing this on the dining room table of my 800-900sq. ft. corner suite in a 4 star (4.2 actually) downtown La Paz hotel complete with living room, kitchen, separate bedroom with a king sized bed to die for, lovely bath facilities, 24 hour concierge, etc. all for.... drum roll please....  $99US per night!  And I didn't even mention Senior Discount.  BTW there are two nice hotels at the Uyuni Salar and they are building two more within 1/2 mile.  I think one of the new ones is $35US/night.
3. EASY TO GET TO - Okay that's four words ("And it depends on whut the meanin' of 'easy' is, Monica!  Ah nevuh sayid I wuz easy!").  And #2 can help overcome the lack of #3.
More to follow, I'm sure.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »
Okay, one more (and hopefully the last )pass on how to pronounce Uyuni.  I've been giving it some thought and I think I can 'splain it like this.
You renew a magazine subscription.  Well take how you pronounce the "ew" part of "renew" and add you-knee so that it sounds like ew-you-knee.  PHEW, I hope that's it.
2nd item-I'm heading to B'ville soon as I get home to give my deceased crew chief, Mike Van Doren, one last pass.  I could use someone to drive the push truck and then meet me for pickup at The Big End.  I'm going to line up early on Course 1 so hopefully I'll be car #1, 2, or 3 right after the driver's meeting.
Lemmee know, okay?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:14:07 AM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Roadkinglsr

• New folks
  • "Form follows function"
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
We will be in Thursday, we can help.   Let me know.   317-902-0925

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
Hard salt notwithstanding, Jim, they taught us in radio broadcast school to pronounce the word "new" as "nyoo".  "It;\'s time for the Nyews", NOT "It's time for the nooze."

That'll wreak havoc with your pronunciation guide.  Sorry.  So what you want us to say is

Noo - yew- knee

Right?

EDIT:  Crap I meant to say Oooh - yew - knee.  Sorry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:51:48 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
From Mike Cook's facebook page:

The event is completed..... Unfortunately, the Ack Attack came up short. Details are still sketchy. ... Ralph's new record is now 284 and change for the mile and 285 for the kilo, pending final ratification by the AMA/FIM officials.

Man I hated to read that.  Mike, Rocky and that whole crew have given so much to this sport  They have been examples of true competitors that would do and have done anything they could to progress the sport and along the way help fellow competitors.

Mike and the crew have put in a lot of work and expense into the trips to the salt in Australia and now Bolivia and all the trips to Bonneville.  They have always been well prepared and this last trip just shows how hard it is to do what they are trying to accomplish.

Still they are the current world record holders with an unbelievable speed for a motorcycle  :cheers: :cheers:.

Congrats to Al and Ralph, phenomenal speeds for sit-on bikes,

Sumner
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:37:27 AM by Sumner »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
Hard salt notwithstanding, Jim, they taught us in radio broadcast school to pronounce the word "new" as "nyoo".  "It;\'s time for the Nyews", NOT "It's time for the nooze."

That'll wreak havoc with your pronunciation guide.  Sorry.  So what you want us to say is

Noo - yew- knee

Right?

LOL. My downunda accent is struglynn with it too Mate! I keep coming up with you-you-Knee.
  Sid.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2017, 11:06:43 AM »
Rich and Stan... I ran faster on Muroc than I ever had at El Mirage by 4 mph. Boy if I could have my current combination and go back.
As for receiving anything; every entry recieved an ORANGE timing tag made special for Muroc. The SCTA was not going to make anything special for records because all classes were open. As I was the guy making the timing tags I put a capital R in parentheses behind the speed of those who did set record because of multiple entries in the same class. The second year I wrote the word Record behind the speed if a record was set.
Today these are the rarest of SCTA timing tags.
There was only a hump the first year going south to north. The next year west to east on a great course.

Enough of this....I hope we get to read and see a lot more of Bolivia in Land Racings future....
We have one of those tags. Year was 2000, on our first pass a big gust of wind came up and Russ could no longer see the cones so he shut off, coasted through at 208 MPH and shazam Russ is a member of the Muroc 200MPH club. I don't remember if he got a hat but we did get a sticker for the car.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:08:26 AM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
So after all the hype and all the fanfair ack the fastest motorcycle streamliner in the world could not even put a decent speed number on the board and now they are done whats up with that.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
Yeah!  What's up with that!

Don't they know that the faster they go the easier it gets?
I'm sure they went down there just to pisz you off.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records