Author Topic: Bolivia  (Read 67575 times)

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
Re: Bolivia
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Apparently, Ralph Hudson qualified on that same 262 record but could not back it up for some reason - said to be back tomorrow as well.
This is exciting stuff!

Willi
 Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
Okay all y'all Fakebookers have said most of it all already.  Just a day of chasing gremlins (or chunkin' tahrs if y'all are Al Lamm) . Rocky spent the first run shooting ducks for a mile before he shut down.  Then went 328 or so on a get acquainted pass for 12-13 miles later in the day.  He reports that the ONLY bump on the course was nothing like the underground river at B'ville.  A little bump and then onward.  Had a leetle trouble stopping, though.  Not being a champion level trials rider he could not balance his bike without the training wheels down.  So, with a special shout out to Marconi and Motorola, he was able to alert the crew to his dilemma who "caught" him as he stopped thereby keeping the killer paint job intact.
The Aprilla boys got their wish(es) and each made a 200+ pass (on the "jug" - but still 2+).
Ralph Hudson finally found his gremlin (did you now crank trigger sensors had polarity?), and put down some pretty healthy numbers.  It being Bolivia and all, and out of range for all but the most dedicated ambulance chasers, I have recommended that they stage an epic, first ever, Hudson/Lamm drag race to find out who really owns this record.
And I am working on an El Cheapo way to come down here and race.  Yeah it's still more than B'Ville, but to finally race the best salt on Planet Earth?  (Did you know American Airlines credit cards is offering 75,000 mile sign up bonus for spending, I think $5k in the first three months?  I think you can fly down here and home for about 70,000 miles if you are flexible on your dates.)
Okay that's it for now.  One final Rocky pic for all y'all and I am flying out early AM manana.  I.e., this will be the final insertion.
See you all at B'ville next week!
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
The naturally aspirated Aprilia bike made several 200mph+ passes - over 20mph faster than their Bonneville speeds.

How about a SCTA/BNI sanctioned event for cars and motorcycles at Uyuni in 2018?! It seems to be a viable alternative to the Utah mud flats. The country seems to be very welcoming and accommodating to us racers. I'm in.

Willi
Kraut Bros.

Who Has More Fun?

Offline Podunk

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
I'm with 836. Keep it up Jon!!!!
Terry

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:36 AM »
Okay all y'all Fakebookers have said most of it all already.  Just a day of chasing gremlins (or chunkin' tahrs if y'all are Al Lamm) . Rocky spent the first run shooting ducks for a mile before he shut down.  Then went 328 or so on a get acquainted pass for 12-13 miles later in the day.  He reports that the ONLY bump on the course was nothing like the underground river at B'ville.  A little bump and then onward.  Had a leetle trouble stopping, though.  Not being a champion level trials rider he could not balance his bike without the training wheels down.  So, with a special shout out to Marconi and Motorola, he was able to alert the crew to his dilemma who "caught" him as he stopped thereby keeping the killer paint job intact.
The Aprilla boys got their wish(es) and each made a 200+ pass (on the "jug" - but still 2+).
Ralph Hudson finally found his gremlin (did you now crank trigger sensors had polarity?), and put down some pretty healthy numbers.  It being Bolivia and all, and out of range for all but the most dedicated ambulance chasers, I have recommended that they stage an epic, first ever, Hudson/Lamm drag race to find out who really owns this record.
And I am working on an El Cheapo way to come down here and race.  Yeah it's still more than B'Ville, but to finally race the best salt on Planet Earth?  (Did you know American Airlines credit cards is offering 75,000 mile sign up bonus for spending, I think $5k in the first three months?  I think you can fly down here and home for about 70,000 miles if you are flexible on your dates.)
Okay that's it for now.  One final Rocky pic for all y'all and I am flying out early AM manana.  I.e., this will be the final insertion.
See you all at B'ville next week!

Thanks for keeping us non-connected people in the loop here, much appreciated. Do you know what the highest DA spike is there?
  Sid.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
As an aside the Aprilla went 185 "naturally aspirated" - still faster than they'd ever been before.  The 2+ speeds were on the "Jug".
And I've only seen one time slip.  This one's from one of the chase vehicles.
And (reply to a long time ago e-mail) yes, people are, I think you said, "chunked up".  That's because it's winter and it's 12,000 feet.  Which means we do not go to the salt prior to 8:00AM or so because of the cold.  It also means that all of the bikers walked around almost all day completely suited up in their leathers.  But you can still wear shorts late morning to just about an hour before sundown.  It's just a very dry cold so both wardrobes work.
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2017, 06:30:11 AM »
And (reply to a long time ago e-mail) yes, people are, I think you said, "chunked up".  That's because it's winter and it's 12,000 feet.  Which means we do not go to the salt prior to 8:00AM or so because of the cold.  It also means that all of the bikers walked around almost all day completely suited up in their leathers.  But you can still wear shorts late morning to just about an hour before sundown.  It's just a very dry cold so both wardrobes work.
[/quote]

Thankyou Sir  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline nickleone

Re: Bolivia oxygen
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
Pulse ox meters are about $30 on Amazon.
It might be something to pack for next time to keep check on us older folks.
Says the guy who lives at 5400 feet outside Denver Colorado.
Heading to B'ville Friday to spectate and breath sea level air LOL.

Nick

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »
Mr Adams
Life must must be a beech when you have NO, NADA, ZIP, NONE, sense of humor and then you get pizzed off at anyone who does have one and appreciates it.
Anyone with absoultely NO sense of humor needs to avoid this site like the plague.
Keep it up Jon.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Okay,
Two corrections - first though:
Made it to La Paz (not that anyone cares) an amazing city with about as many high rises as Manhattan plus Honolulu combined and built upon what looks like the inside of a vocano that froze in mid-eruption.  The streets are crazy steep and buildings are built on top of everything.
Okay. On to the mea culpas.
Uyuni is pronounced ewe (think Marilyn Monroe)-you-knee, not you-you-knee
And apparently there were other factors in Rocky not being able to balance at the end of the run yesterday, as he has a pretty good history of trials riding.
Oops.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:55:40 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline tauruck

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
Mr Adams
Life must must be a beech when you have NO, NADA, ZIP, NONE, sense of humor and then you get pizzed off at anyone who does have one and appreciates it.
Anyone with absoultely NO sense of humor needs to avoid this site like the plague.
Keep it up Jon.

Ron

I agree. :-D :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »
So the correct pronunciation for Uyuni would sound like oo-ee-you-knee?? :?
Jeez that sucker has more vowels that it know's what to do with! :|
  Sid.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
Just so you know, there are still reminders of home down here.  This is the entrance from the dirt to the Salar de Uyuni  (type   -20.315847 -66.981572    into the search bar on Google Earth and/or Google Maps)
And okay one more try at the pronunciation.  Let's try saying the actual letter U as in "U" as if you were doing the alphabet, "S, T, U, V...".  So it would be "U-you-knee".
And yes that's a crack in the windshield.  There's no AVIS/Hertz down here so the locals rent you their car for the day, some even with drivers.  And many are rather "tired" The cars, not the drivers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:18:02 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
In light of the late arrival of the containers, etc., are there any plans to extend the meet beyond its scheduled August 8 (tomorrow!) ending?  As I recall, this was done previously for Ack Attack at the Shootout at Bonneville.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
Hadn't heard any thoughts of that when I left this morning at 8AM
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License