Author Topic: Bonneville Course Prep  (Read 43544 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Bonneville Course Prep
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
  Tom, I know that Greg moved on to another post in the BLM.  I wonder if He moved at His own discression or at someone elses?  I think He was to smart for Upper Management.
                                                                                         Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

1st off, a SALT berm not dirt, [ dirt? where did that come from?]

Eldon and I came up with the same sq ft just expressed different, but his are more useful. 46,556,928 sq ft.

5280 ft in mile x 5280 = 27,878,400 sq ft in a mile

A course 1000 ft wide x 8 miles long 42,240 ft = 42,240,000 sq ft 4'' thick

Or 2000 ft wide and 2'' thick and so on variables.

Save The Salt is Trying to get Intrepid to increase pumping maybe they can work on building a berm.

Or get the BLM on board.

Some improvement must be done. We are interred this year, but if course is rough and dangerous not coming back
 until changes are made.

JL222

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 01:32:02 PM »
A thousand foot wide strip that was higher then the rest of the flats would be a dangerous place to run, imagine getting off the edge of that at speed!
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
  John, Interred this year?  What was Your crime?  Did they get Troy also? 
  Sorry, I just couldn't resist............  Good Luck this Year!!!
                                                          O.R.B., out................................................ :-o :-o :-D :-D :cheers: :mrgreen:
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
A thousand foot wide strip that was higher then the rest of the flats would be a dangerous place to run, imagine getting off the edge of that at speed!
  Sid.

What the Fiat do you think its like now. Sounds like reasoning from Save The Salt, Besides I was just showing how far 600,000 tons of salt 4'' thick could go. And suggested one could try different course lengths, widths and depths

If your upside down and flipping it wouldn't matter, If your up right, pull the fucking chutes and get on the brakes.

The only time I ever saw a car get way off course was when they were spinning or just rolling backwards and didn't
 apply the brakes.

2000 ft wide at 2'' would be more likely. And it wouldn't be to hard to taper the edges.

Even 4000 ft at 1'' would be better. 3000 at 11/2''  Think you could stay on that Sid? any of the above?

JL222   

Offline jl222

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
  John, Interred this year?  What was Your crime?  Did they get Troy also? 
  Sorry, I just couldn't resist............  Good Luck this Year!!!
                                                          O.R.B., out................................................ :-o :-o :-D :-D :cheers: :mrgreen:

:-D After entry fee, hotel, engine repairs and rebuild and new truck for towing, we've been sentenced to the

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS  7 days of hard labor with beer breaks and margaritas after racing.

I don't have a race car it's got me :-P

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »

I don't know the exact length of the drag but I don't think it's very long.

I was working at a building site and a guy was trying to smooth out an extensive driveway with a circular entrance.

He had to go get his bigger tractor, both rubber tired, because he couldn't get out the humps in his grading.

The bigger tractor with a longer wheelbase did the job.

A much longer drag sled would help cut the bumps out instead of just following the ups and downs.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
I have seen farm Land Planes are 50 to 100' between axles--- I am guessing you would need 200' for boneville and/or Laser controlled to get the undulations out
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
I have seen farm Land Planes are 50 to 100' between axles--- I am guessing you would need 200' for boneville and/or Laser controlled to get the undulations out

Great idea Sparky.. looking up land planes I came across [ field plane by Miskin ...you tube video.

Troy will post video later to night. Length of plane is from front tractor wheels to back wheels of planer

We have some big time farmers in land racing :-D

JL222
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:50:10 PM by jl222 »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 08:49:09 PM »
JL... Sounds like your willing to do something I'm not....sacrifice another truck to the salt gods... :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
JL... Sounds like your willing to do something I'm not....sacrifice another truck to the salt gods... :-D

I'm not using MY new truck  :-D  Looks like it has to be pulled by a tractor with a catagoty 2 draft sensing device.

I guess you didn't get the hint :-)

JL222
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:03:23 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »

Offline maj

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 02:39:46 AM »
That will lift the thin crust up and level the dirt , Then we can have a long version of El Mirage

Offline jl222

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
That will lift the thin crust up and level the dirt , Then we can have a long version of El Mirage

The self leveling system can be turned off and height control controlled by operator.

Also by raising the hitch to different holes varies the cutting depth with the top being the least.

Serrated blades are available for graders and I think for these.

Just trying to come up with something better. Like maybe a field plane and drag instead of blade.

The simplest solution is a longer drag. I have seen pictures of water  barrels on top of the Bville drag.

I understand that BNI were purchasing chains to drag behind drag, so their trying.

JL222
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:37:38 PM by jl222 »

Offline John Burk

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »
Could racing continue on the Bonneville Dirt Flats . Serious question .