Author Topic: Bonneville Course Prep  (Read 43535 times)

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: Bonneville Course Prep
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
I saved the BLM reports.
Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll be happy to share them.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
Seventeen western States got screwed---they didn't get their land like the previous states that joined the Union did!  The greedy Senators kept them as PUBLIC LANDS.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Eldon S

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »

Save The Salt says hopefully close to 600,000 tons of SALT [ NOT SALT BRINE] lay down this year and about the same last year.

At a truck and trailer load of 50,000 lbs or 25 t0ns. 25 tons into 600,000 tons is 24,000 truck and trailer loads
 OF SALT!!

I'm pretty sure a truck and trailer holds at least 24 cubic yards. Some body besides me can figure how many miles
of salt could be laid down at 4'' thick with 24,000 truck and trailer loads.   

Yeah right, be patient they say.

JL222

Using these numbers that would equate to 1.67 square miles a year.  so would take approximately 24 years to add 4 inches to the salt flats.  That is assuming that no salt is flowing out over that time.

Eldon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
I saved the BLM reports.
Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll be happy to share them.

Sam

Sent you a PM...Thanks,

Sumner

Offline jww36

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
The reason I started this blog was short term solutions for possible ways to prepare the rough salt conditions out there. Obvious getting the BLM to help us in the future is a possibility. But that is in the future, and we're all growing older.

Something blew me away at the Test & Tune. On Thursday and Friday we had three groups of tourists from Europe come to our pits to chat and see the cars on the salt. None of them knew the Test & Tune was happening. They were just tourists wanting to see the Bonneville Salt Flats. One couple from Poland where going to Yosemite and Yellowstone next. It made me realize how important this place is from a non-LSR standpoint, yet nobody outside the LSR community is doing anything to preserve it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The ONLY way anybody, LSR community or others, is going to get the BLM from it's mining practices at Bonneville is a lawsuit. When I say this people say this will never happen. But I'll tell you this, I'm no tree hugger, but if the BLM or any government entity was allowing logging companies to go in and cut down old growth redwood trees that once gone can never be replaced on government property, the environmentalists would have an injunction filed to stop the cutting of these trees within 48 hours!

The BLM officially states that the mining of the salt flats hasn't depleted the salt in anyway in twenty plus years. Everybody else knows this statement is ridiculous. Why can't an injunction be filed to stop mining operations until an independent third party can do research and determine if their claim is true for the preservation of the Bonneville Salt Flats for everyone?
John

John

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
  I hate to even bring this up but after all of the good press and hard work by Save The Salt, has anything happened other than a few politicians sending letters of support?
  I think We all could use a few words of encouragement from someone at STS.
                                                                                      Thanks to all who have worked so hard for hopefully a good outcome
                                                                                                                      Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
Drag SLOWER at night. This has been discussed in certant circles but some refuse to listen. Larry's tnt course was ok but only a 1/4 mile off the end of the road. Got smoother after the 1.5. Further down looks better till you see the SCTA courses that have been drug during the day at 45+ mph. They look like $hit (IMO) . There is potential there to work with and be better than last year. It all depends on the preppers. The salt is hard and dry.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
45 MPH?  Unh, I've seen the drag trucks a bunch of times and don't think-they hit anything within a full order of magnitude when dragging.

But realistically -- dragging super-thin salt and no-so-thin mud ain't gonna make a salt-only course happen.  We need salt.  Take 20 years and a zillion truckloads of salt and graders and a few more years for the salt to age into something raceable and then at least the grandkids will have salt for racing.

Anybody here care to think that far ahead?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »

Save The Salt says hopefully close to 600,000 tons of SALT [ NOT SALT BRINE] lay down this year and about the same last year.

At a truck and trailer load of 50,000 lbs or 25 t0ns. 25 tons into 600,000 tons is 24,000 truck and trailer loads
 OF SALT!!

I'm pretty sure a truck and trailer holds at least 24 cubic yards. Some body besides me can figure how many miles
of salt could be laid down at 4'' thick with 24,000 truck and trailer loads.   

Yeah right, be patient they say.

JL222

Using these numbers that would equate to 1.67 square miles a year.  so would take approximately 24 years to add 4 inches to the salt flats.  That is assuming that no salt is flowing out over that time.

Eldon

I figure 884 miles of salt 10ft wide and 4'' thick or 1768 miles 2'' thick

Course of 12 miles into 1768 miles =12 - 10 ft wide course 147 miles long 2'' thick

Using your estimates at 2'' it would sill take 12 yrs  or just 1'' 6 yrs 

SO for 2'' for 1year increase flow 12 times  or 1'' 6 times?

Whatever, trying to increase thickness of all of the salt flats has proven to not work and shows the need to control
 the salt brine to just the race course area.

What's the definition  of  INSANITY ?

JL222

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

What's the definition  of  INSANITY ?

JL222

Thinking all that returned brine is not used to wash more salt down the drain... Yep we need to plug the drain and try to return salt to the race course... I know someone suggested a berm... it would be a large area, but I suspect the BLM and the strip miners would not go for it
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
  Knowing that the BLM isn't going to allow a dirt berm to be built (remember when Ron Main hauled several truck loads of "processed" salt over three or four years ago and the BLM threw a sh*t fit)?
  A couple of years ago I suggested building a temporary berm from the dike to the twelve or fourteen mile using rented concrete freeway dividers placed on the salt end to end.  
  These could be made waterproof at the joints relatively easy with "heat to stick" rubber" sort of like the dyno-mat products that many of Us have used on Street Rod floors.
  If this was done and pumping took place for a full Year We would or should have a Racing Course.  Intrepid/BLM need to stop pumping the brine to the South side of I-80 period.
  The berm could be left in place for at least a  few years and before every meet removed for a quarter mile each way from the end of a course and at the road entry to the Salt.
  Lets face the facts. Most of Us will not live long enough to see a 400+ race course again if Intrepid only pumps two or three months out of the Year and the brine is free to flow where  it wants.
  The cheapest way to make this happen would be to get the state of Utah to furnish the concrete barriers by renting them if they don't have enough, The BLM digging a few Large settlement ponds near the miles of dry salt mounds on the Intrepid side and Intrepid/BLM paying to pump at least nine months a year until ALL the Salt is returned to the North side of I-80.
  If this was implemented This fall or more likely next summer I would gladly trade skipping the 2018 Race Season and return in 2019.
  As I see it  the Salt Flats are done for Long Course Racing, especially for 300+ mph race vehicles and I doubt that any of the Streamliners capable of those speeds will show up for Speedweek except to test equipment.                                    "One Run" Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 07:45:14 PM »
What I think is to give SCTA-BNI to do the best they can to put the events on. It's a very big job and all done by racers the volunteer to give up their time to grade the courses and give us something to run on. The racers need to use their heads during the event to assure all goes well. Please attend the entry meeting at the starting line for more information before the first vehicle can go down the course. This is for drivers and crew.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
ORB,
The salt is there, on the S side.  The water to pump it is where?  That is likely to be the problem.  Dike off a large area on the south side and collect rain?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
Glen, without a doubt the BNI is and always will prepare the best course it can.  I'm sure of that... but I think Roger is right, we are a bald guy combing his hair....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
From the Save the Salt website:

BLM Recreational Lands Manager, Gregg Morgan interviewed by ESPN notes,

“We are concerned with the loss of salt on the perimeter and with the overall loss. The study we completed a year ago, which updates the one we did 14 years ago shows that we are losing 1% of salt from the surface each year. That amounts to 1.6 million tons annually. At that rate, in ten years possibly there will not be enough salt to race on and in thirty years not enough salt to sustain what we call the Bonneville Salt Flats.”

Save the Salt (STS), is founded by racers, businesses and community members. Save the Salt Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah and to promote its history and motorsports legacy. The organization aspires to keep this national treasure available for future generations.

After 28 years it looks like Gregg knew what he was talking about.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.