Author Topic: El Mirage Questions  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

El Mirage Questions
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:08:18 PM »
If you run from the rookie line, when can you expect to run? Do they run 1-25 and then rookies? After one rookie runs, when is the next one up?

Why is there a return lane? And why 15 mph? If you haven't been to El Mirage, the lake bed is is  5 miles long and 1/2 mile wide at the narrow end, 1 1/2 miles wide at the end where the race course is located. Plenty of room. The cones that outline the width of the course look like they are a 1/4 mile apart. The return lane is just inside the cones on the north side. The other side of the cones are the racers and spectators. The other side of that is the main traffic area. The speed limit is 15 mph on the return lane (where there is no possibilty of anything other than one way traffic. 25 mph is the speed limit on the open lakebed where the traffic is mainly paralell with the cones, but cross traffic from the motorcycles, ATV's etc. is pretty brutal. There are several hundred off road vehicles at the lake bed on a race weekend.
It seems to me that the return lane is in place so that the vehicle can be observed heading to impound. If you aren't going to impound can you skip the return lane? And why 15 mph?

I was asked by half a dozen people if the race was being broadcast. The only place I've seen mention of it is on the pit tower. It seems that our publicity would be better if we put a sign at the end of the cones where you would first see the race track coming in, on both sides with the radio ID. (KWBS 88.7) Maybe someplace in the middle too.

It also seems that the announcer should spend more time telling the story of land speed racing and where else we race. Mention each of the clubs, where they meet and contact info. The info on the racers is first rate, but it is directed to the racers. We have the opportunity at every El Mirage meet to get more people into the sport. There are probably more spectators there than at any other venue, because there are so many off roaders there every weekend. PS: I'm going to mention this to the announcer, but I thought I would see what everybody else has to say.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline interested bystander

el-mirage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:05:52 PM »
Dean-STOP YOUR SNIVELLING!!!!

SCTA/BNI is the LAST vestage of relatively unrestrained motorsports activity!

HOW ARE YOU COMPLAIN!!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline interested bystander

el m,irage
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:07:18 PM »
Thast should be how DARE you complain!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SOOOO
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »
How many more entries would you like to see at an El Mirage event ?
Outside the patrolled area the BLM permit restricts the speed and they give tickets.
The mix and direction is uncontrolled and very dangerous.
El Mirage has the highest injury rate for any BLM patrolled area of it's size.
The designated return road and SCTA mandated speed limit is a combination of keeping them
 from harm from others and lowering the speed so as to be more friendly to the row of watchers.
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline desotoman

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »
Dean, I for one like the return road and the speed limit. Anything we as participants and spectators can do to keep the dust down is helpful for everyone involved. There are many race teams that forget there is a speed limit, and in their hast to get to the end of the race track and pick up their car or bike violate the speed limit of 25 mph by quite a bit, which by itself becomes very dangerous. You are not allowed to run a vehicle back to the pits under its own power, and I think this is a good rule also.
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

bak189

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »
And DON'T forget......INSURANCE WON'T LET US................................................!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
INSURANCE
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 12:57:33 PM »
Quote from: bak189
And DON'T forget......INSURANCE WON'T LET US................................................!!!!!

Insurance coverage is a contracted bet between the Underwriter and the
 applicant that is within the published rules.
Violation of those rules sets up a situation where all of that changes and
can result in cancellation or higher costs that are passes on to the entrant.
You have to pay to play.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »
Dean,

I think the return road is very usefull when you are towing or pushing a race vehicle. It gives you a reasonable chance of making the entire trip back to the pits without some idiot on a dirtbike jumping out in front of you and causing an incident.

John

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
El Mirage Questions
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
Yeah, right on, JohnR,

I was behind the spectators in the 25mph area heading back to Impound, and fortunately was going pretty slow.  Some kid, probably 7 years old comes careening out of the spectator area and hits my trailer a couple of feet from the back!  So lemme get this straight... at less than 10mph an entire pickup truck went by, followed by 21+/- feet of trailer and this kid hits the side of the trailer.  Probably a distant relative of Stevie Wonder.

So no, I don't think there is thing wrong with 15 mph on the return road.  BTW not all of the cars are "manned" during the return "tow" and as soon as somebody drops a tow bar and the car runs into the spectators, we will all be a little worse off.

What concerns me more is who is going to win when I T-bone some course crossing goofball on a quad runner at about 170mph?

Can you say speed bumps?

J
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 05:39:58 PM »
Dean---

1. We keep the race cars in side because in the old days you looked for a spot between the spectators to go out and one of our races cars hit a kid on a bike coming down the outside of the spectators.

2.  Go to the announcers trailer and start talking...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 08:00:13 PM »
Just to get it straight, I don't have ANY complaints, just curious.

Still looking for the rookie lane answer.

Thanks all.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »
Quote from: Dean Los Angeles
Still looking for the rookie lane answer.
Thanks all.

Dean maybe this will help.

H. ? Rookie driver?
Rookie Definition- Regardless of other driving/riding experience, a Rookie is defined as a person that has never driven/ridden at El Mirage as a participant at an SCTA event. As a Rookie driver/rider there are both requirements and privileges. Requirements: - All Rookies must attend a Rookie orientation before driving/riding. - Regardless of SCTA license held, all Rookie drivers/riders must make a first run under
150 MPH from the rookie line. Privileges: - Rookies may run from the Rookie line for the duration of their first meet in order to upgrade their
license category above 150 MPH. (However, a record may not be set from the Rookie line.)
NOTE: There are only Rookie drivers/riders; there are no ?Rookie Cars? nor do new cars have Rookie privileges.
Rookie Orientation Staff and Starters shall be notified of any variance to the procedures by the
Race director prior to the competitor running.

B. Rookie Orientation
New driver orientation will take place at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday only at the registration trailer. This orientation will familiarize you with proper racecourse procedures, including emergency measures.

4. Lane Four
Initial run(s) of new/rookie drivers obtaining the SCTA competition licenses ONLY. No records may be set from the rookie lane. Only DRIVERS are rookies. There are no ?Rookie Vehicles?.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:44 AM »
It's at the discretion of the starter when he will ask a rookie to suit up and run. I do not think many or any are sent in the first 25...Next time in November go ask Jim or Wes...I'm sure they will tell you what they normally do.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
El Mirage Questions
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 03:30:25 PM »
So, jaydeesix,

With those two red hats do you pay 2 club dues twice each year?
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

El Mirage Questions
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »
Each person who has earned a red hat in the "first GMC powered fuel roadster over 200", pays his dues to the 200 mph club..

Since this is has been brought 3 times by you it must bug you..Get over it