Author Topic: Save the Salt Utah Alliance Announcement  (Read 19433 times)

velocity

Save the Salt Utah Alliance Announcement
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »
Interested parties are asked to visit:

www.savethesalt.org

for an important announcement about the 2017 racing season.

Speedy Regards. . .

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Save the Salt Utah Alliance Announcement
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:53:32 AM »
Not sure what to make of this initiative. Somehow, I don't feel that salt on the racers' soles has contributed to the present sad situation? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
     For sure not anywhere near as much as the mining but if the racers show they are doing everything they possibly can to turn the current trend around the high bucks interests and BLM lose an excuse, puts the medicine ball back in their hands.

Ed

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
The problem is millions of tons. This is tens of pounds.  Purely symbolic. More of a "Feel good" than effective action.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
The only thing that is going to move The BLM to stop the mining and restore millions of tons of Salt to the North Side; is for us moved is a few politicians.  The only thing that is going to move politicians is money or public opinion and fear of losing votes.

This is trying to move public opinion.  The Serria Club is the master---we could learn from them---nearly everyone has a ADMIRE/HATE opinion of them.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
There are only two ways for the salt to leave the flats, runoff & ground water pumping (Slurry Mining) to the mine & being carried out by vehicles. There is no natural runoff & that's the reason the salt flats was formed.

Would somebody within STS or The Alliance or anybody else for that matter care to estimate the loss percentage difference between those two??

Sid.

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
Sid....the USGS study on save the salt site "documents" says
around 55,000,000 tons salt removed just from 1960 to 1988

if say 15 lbs lost per vehicle...1960's and 70's likely less than 800 vehicles
who knows...if it was 800 vehicles at 15 lbs each, equals 12,000 lbs , so 6 tons per year over 28 yrs equals 168 tons vs 55,000,000 lost over same time per the usgs study......as simple example.....not meant to be exact potrayal of reality...!!!!

0.0003 % so about 3 ten thousandth of one percent....

but hey....its a positive contribution...right...?

a bit like a prius.... 

perceptions are important

disclaimer...

praise to "save the salt"  busting their arses to help save Bonneville...

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
Really this is going to make a HUGE difference to the conditions.  :-o  Is this the best the coalition can come up with?  The washing stations prior to leaving the salt are already there to help those who want to clean the salt off upon leaving. How about the real problem causing this issue be dealt with good grief!
   Here's a thought start getting the piles of salt from the South side of the highway relocated to the North side where it originally came from! Not an easy task but one that needs to be done now that would be real progress.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
RonnieRoadster, please feel free to explain to us what you have been doing to save the salt?

Perhaps you should look at this very small initiative at something like a death by a thousand cuts.  While this proposal save the salt flats by itself....no...but its a cut.

RCKirby

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
RonnieRoadster, please feel free to explain to us what you have been doing to save the salt?

Perhaps you should look at this very small initiative at something like a death by a thousand cuts.  While this proposal save the salt flats by itself....no...but its a cut.

RCKirby

Gee glad you asked well lets see I have purchased save the salt stickers going so far back that I have scraped a number of vehicles I put them on because they were so old and tired. Each opportunity I get I donate cash to the cause.
     BUT the real issue should be at least return the salt that's been saved on the other side of the highway why is it when someone dares to say that they begin to be attacked am I missing something here? Must the salt be purchased before its returned?  Please explain this to me.

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Ronnieroadster,

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you...I'm old and would probably loose.

You wrote..."Here's a thought start getting the piles of salt from the South side of the highway relocated to the North side where it originally came from!"
Do you think the Alliance is unaware of this?  You respond as though you think that after all the blood, sweat and tears the Alliance has put in...this is their solution.

This initiative is not their answer to the problem, just a 'small' step along with meeting Utah congressional representatives on the salt last year as well as meeting with the BLM, University of Utah and Intrepid and a multitude of other 'small' things.  Moving a mountain of  bureaucracy is difficult and requires dogged determination....something racers have plenty of.

Please outline your unique plan to get the salt back to the north side.  I'll give you the last word....

RCKirby
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:55:01 PM by RCKirby »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
LEARN from the Sierra Club--------PUBLICITY ------TURN up the HEAT---only NEGATIVE PUBLICITY moves POLS and Mining Companies---neither are our friends NOW---- WE have to become the good guys trying everything we can to save a National Treasure ----Turn up the heat we can not compete with the Mining Companies and there jobs----We have to become undisputed authorities on MINING Law and Leases (The Sierra Club is) and how to generate Publicity that will get picked up across the USA!!!!!!!!

OUR goal this year should be  No SALT ON CARPETS in hotels!!!!!!!!

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
the goal of no salt..on hotel floors... is becoming very achievable...

not as fast as the... no salt on the bonneville playa floor....but close...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Joe  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
If the mining companies continue to remove the salt, how much longer can they stay in business? The end is near for them if they don't stop.
Best regards
Jim