Landracing Forum Home
September 26, 2017, 03:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warren QC  (Read 1329 times)
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:00:48 AM »

I'm guessing there's about zero chance of ever locating a Warren 2-speed quickchange rear? I just learned of them today via  their ad (Downey Machine) in a 1950 magazine- and now I'm lusting for one! Two quick-change ratios, shift on-the-fly, with a neutral to use it as an IN/OUT box- what more could a landspeed racer want? cheers

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
BHR301

Location: Albion, Michigan (About 1700 miles east of Bonneville)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »

Jack..I'll bet if you ever find one it will be made out of gold plated unobtainium............ grin

Bill
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »

Maybe  a 2:25 2:00, 1.75 1:50 1.35 1.20  spiral bevel gear sets for drop in style rear axle  grin

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »

Jack,

Halibrand made a two speed quick change trans axle for Indy cars in around 1963 or 1964 for the Shrike (sp) Indy car. I think you would have a better chance finding one of those than a Warren, if you are really interested. Good luck with the hunt.

Tom G.

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »

The Warren looks to be impressively compact- same configuration as any other early QC, just slightly longer change-gear case- ideal for a lakester.
I'll try poking around for info on that QC transaxle used in an Indy car.

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »

... Maybe  a 2:25 2:00, 1.75 1:50 1.35 1.20  spiral bevel gear sets for drop in style rear axle...
But can you shift it "on the fly"?

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
John Burk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

Googling 2 speed quick change brought up several things including one for sale with a phone # for $1000 4 years ago . Somebody said Warrens
are copies of Halibrands and some parts interchange .

Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »

Jack --

I'd bet that they were a slick set-up in 1950 -- using 1950 horsepower.   You're hoping for more of that I know, and slippage may cancel damage.

I cured that by running 35 lbs. in the rear tires with about 350 H.P. in my real street roadster with a Cyclone quicky for years.  The salt can do the same.

Stan

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 01:48:06 AM »

Stan- what would you guess to be the weakest spot in the old Warren QC? In the picture in the ad the QC gearsets appeared to be normal 3.5" centers/1.25"-10 spline/1.375" thick, which easily handle more grunt than my engine will have. I assume ring & pinion gears for the Ford banjo rearends are now available in 9310 alloy? So what does that leave for concern?

And yes, my peak drive torque will be limited. Possibly by tire slip, but definitely by running no transmission- instead I'll be smokin' the discs in the 3-disc full-centrifugal CrowerGlide. I'll set the weights to avoid full lockup until at least 4,500 RPM.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:54:57 AM by Jack Gifford » Logged

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »

Jack do you know the guy here in AZ that has a bunch of the MT Pontiac Hemi heads?

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 12:56:01 AM »

Steve Barcak is a friend who has 9 (I think) M/T hemi heads (he runs a Pontiac salvage yard in a suburb of Phoenix). Two of the heads are on a unique engine in his pleasure boat- the complete engine was actually built and sold by Mickey back in about '63. I don't know who the early owners were, but Steve got it from Dave Stoll after it was in a sand dragster. It doesn't use a Harvey Aluminum block (one-of-six) like my hemi, but has one of the three iron blocks that PMD created for Mickey to use his hemi heads on- valleys were cast solid near the decks so that cutting pushrod grooves wouldn't break into the water jackets. I like Steve... but he has irritated many Pontiac fans by refusing to part with any of the seven other hemi heads.

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: