Author Topic: Warren QC  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Warren QC
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:48 AM »
I'm guessing there's about zero chance of ever locating a Warren 2-speed quickchange rear? I just learned of them today via  their ad (Downey Machine) in a 1950 magazine- and now I'm lusting for one! Two quick-change ratios, shift on-the-fly, with a neutral to use it as an IN/OUT box- what more could a landspeed racer want? :cheers:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline BHR301

Re: Warren QC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
Jack..I'll bet if you ever find one it will be made out of gold plated unobtainium............ :-D

Bill

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
Maybe  a 2:25 2:00, 1.75 1:50 1.35 1.20  spiral bevel gear sets for drop in style rear axle  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
Jack,

Halibrand made a two speed quick change trans axle for Indy cars in around 1963 or 1964 for the Shrike (sp) Indy car. I think you would have a better chance finding one of those than a Warren, if you are really interested. Good luck with the hunt.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:03:34 AM »
The Warren looks to be impressively compact- same configuration as any other early QC, just slightly longer change-gear case- ideal for a lakester.
I'll try poking around for info on that QC transaxle used in an Indy car.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:05:53 AM »
... Maybe  a 2:25 2:00, 1.75 1:50 1.35 1.20  spiral bevel gear sets for drop in style rear axle...
But can you shift it "on the fly"?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline John Burk

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »
Googling 2 speed quick change brought up several things including one for sale with a phone # for $1000 4 years ago . Somebody said Warrens
are copies of Halibrands and some parts interchange .

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »
Jack --

I'd bet that they were a slick set-up in 1950 -- using 1950 horsepower.   You're hoping for more of that I know, and slippage may cancel damage.

I cured that by running 35 lbs. in the rear tires with about 350 H.P. in my real street roadster with a Cyclone quicky for years.  The salt can do the same.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 02:48:06 AM »
Stan- what would you guess to be the weakest spot in the old Warren QC? In the picture in the ad the QC gearsets appeared to be normal 3.5" centers/1.25"-10 spline/1.375" thick, which easily handle more grunt than my engine will have. I assume ring & pinion gears for the Ford banjo rearends are now available in 9310 alloy? So what does that leave for concern?

And yes, my peak drive torque will be limited. Possibly by tire slip, but definitely by running no transmission- instead I'll be smokin' the discs in the 3-disc full-centrifugal CrowerGlide. I'll set the weights to avoid full lockup until at least 4,500 RPM.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:54:57 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
Jack do you know the guy here in AZ that has a bunch of the MT Pontiac Hemi heads?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 01:56:01 AM »
Steve Barcak is a friend who has 9 (I think) M/T hemi heads (he runs a Pontiac salvage yard in a suburb of Phoenix). Two of the heads are on a unique engine in his pleasure boat- the complete engine was actually built and sold by Mickey back in about '63. I don't know who the early owners were, but Steve got it from Dave Stoll after it was in a sand dragster. It doesn't use a Harvey Aluminum block (one-of-six) like my hemi, but has one of the three iron blocks that PMD created for Mickey to use his hemi heads on- valleys were cast solid near the decks so that cutting pushrod grooves wouldn't break into the water jackets. I like Steve... but he has irritated many Pontiac fans by refusing to part with any of the seven other hemi heads.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru