Author Topic: "fire protection around ducting"  (Read 3932 times)

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
"fire protection around ducting"
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
On the inspection form, 3.E it says fresh air vent - enclosed vehicles - fire protection around venting. 
Production class we simply have 2 aluminum flex vent tubes run from the cowl opening (stock) to the stock dash vents at each end of the dash. 
We haven't installed the fire system yet, but have 2 - 180 degree nozzles for the engine and one 360 degree nozzle for the driver.  This just needs an open plane of spray to reach the driver and both vents if I'm reading this correctly? 
Can someone please clarify what the inspectors are specifically looking for?

Second question regarding the fresh air vents.  Our hood scoop is rear opening, above the cowl so I'm worried about an engine fire venting fumes into the cockpit.  I can separate the cowl so that the fresh air comes from the outer edges - outside the plane of the hood scoop?  Is this acceptable?  Will this pass inspection?  What would it take to unanimously pass?  Is that even possible?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline NathanStewart

Re: "fire protection around ducting"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
Fire protection around venting usually refers to hoses that would provide fresh air directly into the drivers's helmet like from a Parker Pumper, etc.  Your idea of preventing fire incursion away from the driver's compartment vent is a good idea.  I've never put much focus on fire nozzle placement relative to fresh air vents because the only thing that should be coming through vents is air, not fire.  If there's a chance fire could come into the vent, I'd think of a different vent location.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »
We have cover plates made up for the "factory" vent locations if they are decided unsafe.  A lot would have to happen for there to be an issue - very unlikely but possible, like a truck crash landing on its tailgate but you have to make sure fuel won't drain from the fuel tank while in that position. 

I was thinking of simply adding a NACA duct to the driver's window and block everything else, but the factory setup moves air through the entire cabin nicely.  My fear was the wording on the inspection form.  Its odd and doesn't appear to align with the rules as they lay out in 3.E so I'm a bit confused.  What specifically does "fire protection around ducting" refer to? 

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
IMO I have always read it to refer to the hose to the helmet as Nathan stated. The hose is "plastic" in nature and if you were in a fire with it running the outcome would not be good. When this rule came into effect I purchased some high temp covering from Mc Master Carr but never liked it. I have since purchased some Nomex from Pegasus and had a double thick sleeve sewn by a clothing alteration shop for a cover. It is flexible enough for my side helmet air fitting. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
There have been cases where a fire burned through a vent hose and then became the conduit of the flame into the drivers compartment.  Remember at speed lots of drivers compartments become low pressure and suck things like dust and flames into them.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
Thanks Sparky!  That's what I was envisioning and attempting to avoid.