Author Topic: Salt today  (Read 19000 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Salt today
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
If you take a look at that pic that Rich posted, in the lower left you can see it's patchy dark & light. The dark areas are the low spots with more salt than the light area's with a thin skin over the dirt. It gives you a good idea how small the slosh pools have become now that there is no salt base, the abrasive salt creates small pockets in the dirt then fills them up. It will be interesting to see how this preps with the drag & more so how it stands up with passes. If the TnT is in the usual place it will be slightly better with a big emphasis on "slightly".
What an absolutely bangup job the BLM have done here looking after public land! :x
  Sid.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
Maybe use the new fangled wheel packer only with no dragging ???
(no pressure ridges to cut down)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:26:27 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline thundersalt

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
Well that answers that
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
Sid,

Thanks for your trip to Bonneville and the write up on what you observed.

I would be more than happy to send you a few $$$ for your effort.

Send me a PM with your address and I will get it in the mail.

Thanks again,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline yesford

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 12:01:32 AM »
Thanks for your update Sid, that about does it for Harris Family Racing down under. We were due to load our container but have now cancelled it plus all of our other paperwork for the EPA etc and other relevant bookings. Sadly, but in all honesty after 30 yrs of racing at Bonneville we are unlikely to return for obvious reasons. If our government EPA, here called the 'Department of Conservation' (DOC) allowed private enterprise to systematically destroy a 'National Park' there would nationwide protest, but sadly those interested in the BSF's are very small in number in the big picture.

We have enjoyed and treasure our LSR at Bonneville and made so many great friends along with meeting so many of our hero's in the wider Hot Rodding world plus Lincoln becoming the 1st Kiwi inducted into the '200 mph Club some of the many 'highs' we've enjoyed.

Please continue with the battle for salt restoration, we will certainly stay in touch.

Chris Harris.
#397  B/GR.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »
Great posts guys.  Sadly it's not a nice subject.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 01:48:20 AM »
Sid,

Thanks for your trip to Bonneville and the write up on what you observed.

I would be more than happy to send you a few $$$ for your effort.

Send me a PM with your address and I will get it in the mail.

Thanks again,

Tom G.
Thanks for the offer Tom but as I've said to others, the offer to help is thanks enough. I do this for the love of LSR & the people who make this sport in order to clear up some of the myths & outright BS that were clouding the real truth.
There are a few that are not to pleased with what I've been doing but I believe they have lost sight of why we are here as I believe the BLM also have. It breaks my heart to see the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats desecrated to less than a shadow if it's former glory by a steamrolling Government department with zero accountability for a few more drops in their large economic bucket.
Public land management my A$$!!
  Sid. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 12:15:06 PM »
hear yee! hear yee!  hear yee!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline thundersalt

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
From SCTA Facebook page
SCTA Southern California Timing Association added 2 new photos.
11 hrs · Stanton ·
SW 2017 Update:
Today was the first day of prep for Speed Week. Four courses are looking very promising. Course 3 & 4 are almost done and are looking good. The salt condition is definitely better than last year and the content of the salt is greater. We will be back at it tomorrow and will update you daily throughout the week.
Pic #1: Start Line of Course #3
Pic #2: 3 Mile of Course #3
#scta #bonneville #sw2017 #bni
Image may contain: sky, nature and outdoor
Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline jww36

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
Thanks for your update Sid, that about does it for Harris Family Racing down under. We were due to load our container but have now cancelled it plus all of our other paperwork for the EPA etc and other relevant bookings. Sadly, but in all honesty after 30 yrs of racing at Bonneville we are unlikely to return for obvious reasons. If our government EPA, here called the 'Department of Conservation' (DOC) allowed private enterprise to systematically destroy a 'National Park' there would nationwide protest, but sadly those interested in the BSF's are very small in number in the big picture.

We have enjoyed and treasure our LSR at Bonneville and made so many great friends along with meeting so many of our hero's in the wider Hot Rodding world plus Lincoln becoming the 1st Kiwi inducted into the '200 mph Club some of the many 'highs' we've enjoyed.

Chris Harris.
#397  B/GR.

Chris,
My name is John Weatherwax. In 2007, I decided I wanted to go LSR racing and decided to build a roadster. A "C" gas roadster, and you guys were the record holders at that time. I always wanted to meet the Harris clan, but with your participation every other year, and my on and off again participation, I never did.

If in the future the salt flats improves, I won't miss the next opportunity to shake hands.
If ever in Southern California, please look me up.
John Weatherwax
Roadster #114

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Do you guys (gals) remember a couple of months ago the photos from Mike Crawford??? There was water to the end of the road and all were sweating bullets for 2017 race season..
Then like a natural wonder it dried up,, and it dried up because the wind blew the water towards Floating Mountain (according to Mike C.)

And so you think the inches of water sits on top of the salt crust???

I was out there in 2014 to recover our sales area and what you have is a mud flat and if there is water, the salt dissolves into said water.
So the wind blew the water (and salt) to the Mountain, it doesn't just roll over the salt crust, not until the water evaporates do we have a crust. Think of tilting a pie pan. And so from what I have been told is that there is great salt near the Mountain, but we have no access to it, I have never made the trek to the Mountain.

And I am not a Geologist, but yes the salt is down, but the salt is also natural meaning it moves around the mud flats through out it's life.

So lets slow down the finger pointing at the mining company, and lets see if there will be a change from the BLM (where it needs to change)
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline thundersalt

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
SCTA Faccebook post day 2

SCTA Southern California Timing Association added 3 new photos.
41 mins ·
SW 2017 Update #2:
Today was the second day of prep for Speed Week. Course #2 is looking good and we will start prepping Course #1 in the morning.
Pic #1: 2 mile on Course #2
Pic #2: 2 mile on Course #2
Pic #3: 3.5 mile on Course #2
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 10:58:02 PM »
Do you guys (gals) remember a couple of months ago the photos from Mike Crawford??? There was water to the end of the road and all were sweating bullets for 2017 race season..
Then like a natural wonder it dried up,, and it dried up because the wind blew the water towards Floating Mountain (according to Mike C.)

And so you think the inches of water sits on top of the salt crust???

I was out there in 2014 to recover our sales area and what you have is a mud flat and if there is water, the salt dissolves into said water.
So the wind blew the water (and salt) to the Mountain, it doesn't just roll over the salt crust, not until the water evaporates do we have a crust. Think of tilting a pie pan. And so from what I have been told is that there is great salt near the Mountain, but we have no access to it, I have never made the trek to the Mountain.

And I am not a Geologist, but yes the salt is down, but the salt is also natural meaning it moves around the mud flats through out it's life.

So lets slow down the finger pointing at the mining company, and lets see if there will be a change from the BLM (where it needs to change)

:dhorse: Dude, are you $hitting me!!! 26 inches of water didn't just dry up or flow to the other end of the flats. INTREPID DRAINED IT OFF TO THE PLANT. It's called Slurry Mining & the BLM receives millions of dollars from Intrepid for the lease rights from Bonneville.
  Sid.

Offline thundersalt

916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club