Author Topic: Salt today  (Read 19001 times)

Offline RichFox

Salt today
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Did you guys see this picture from the web cam at about 9:15? You gotta love it. Well it was a really cool picture with a cloud stuck on a mountain top and a black truck in the distance. Since this site will not load the picture, if you want to see it I posted in on the HAMB under TROG at Bonneville or something like that. Oh wait. It worked that time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:45:09 AM by RichFox »

Offline aircap

Re: Salt today
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:47 AM »
Looks great, Rich!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:15:51 AM »
Sid, oh Sid,  where art thou?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
Got back last night then went on a road service call to a Tour Bus, sorry I'm late Sparky. :-P
Well it has good coverage but it's really thin. Right off the ramp at Lands End there is brown showing through for about 1/8 mile then it starts getting thicker. There's been enough public traffic going out there it has actually tracked & packed an entry road for about 1/2 mile towards the dyke. There was at least 25 Joe Public vehicles out there on Saturday & most of them were making passes & three of them were stuck in the $hit over on the north side.
  I did basically the same thing I did last time, started between Lands End & the dyke & made a straight line to the right side of Floating Mt, stopping every 1/2 mile until I was 8 miles out. This time I just drilled the top with a hole saw since I know there's nothing under the dirt/mud to a depth of 4ft & found variations from 1" to just a thin skin of salt. Most of the surface is pretty ruff from water movement & has settled out small high's & low's leaving more salt in the low spots & less salt (1/8") on the high spots. If you touch those thin high spots with your finger they collapse leaving you with dirt that is still higher than the salt. There was a about a 1 1/2 mile area of that 2yrs ago when I tested out there, now it covers 2/3 of the whole salt flats. The line I take puts me roughly between the combo course & the Cook course.
 The short course area was still pretty wet due to being closer to the Mining drain so I didn't go very far out there to avoid doing damage but the thickness seemed more consistent for obvious reasons, $hit flows down hill. I came back down the mountain side of the long course & it was about the same as the trip out.
 There's no standing water, it's all gone over to the mine ponds which look really good from a mining standpoint right up to the plant. :x
  Sid.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
Sid, at this point do you make it to be better or worse or same-o than last year?  :-D :x :-(
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
Sid, thank you for your efforts.  Very much appreciated!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:41 PM »
 From what Sid has seen sounds like the salt is not any better than what we had last year. Only an inch for thickness at the best and not everywhere how depressing. :-(  Thanks Sid for your efforts   :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:23:54 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »
Sid, at this point do you make it to be better or worse or same-o than last year?  :-D :x :-(

There's an old saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The ear ain't getting any prettier.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
In 2012 Ron Main said the salt was phenominal (in the video).
So in 4 years the mining wrecked it!!!!! :cry:
Not good news. Hey Sid, what you is special and although
I'm too far away to be affected I want to thank you. :cheers:

Offline comet

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 02:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the update Sid. That is a fair old drive and we thank you for your time and effort. Your return journey is about the same mileage as me travelling from home in Kent, England, right up to Inverness in Scotland.
 :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
RR  pls reread    the BEST was 1" --the worst was salt colored with mud pimples.

If the mining were to stop today, and tons and tons of the South Side salt were returned during the Winter, it would take several years for things to return to any semblance of what we had in 2008 which has been described to me as the best track  in the last 10-15-years.--

-I have never been to the bombing range but I would be willing to help with the process of getting to run there.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »
RR  pls reread    the BEST was 1" --the worst was salt colored with mud pimples.

If the mining were to stop today, and tons and tons of the South Side salt were returned during the Winter, it would take several years for things to return to any semblance of what we had in 2008 which has been described to me as the best track  in the last 10-15-years.--

-I have never been to the bombing range but I would be willing to help with the process of getting to run there.

Well to make you happy I added a few more words.  :-D
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Roadkinglsr

• New folks
  • "Form follows function"
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 04:29:42 PM »
Super thankful for the updates.   What is the link to the camera? 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:20 PM »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
  Thanx Sid, It is less than good news but better than none. Thanxs again for Your service to Our Racing efforts.
                                                                            Bob Drury
Bob Drury