Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville  (Read 45277 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
ORB said:  "...Jon Amo founded this site about 15 (?) years ago..." 

I bought it in '08, and I do believe it was in '96 that Jon got it up and running.  Geez -- two decades plus and it's still managing to stir the pot and give out some entertainment.  Cool o matic.

Thanks for the Plug, Bob. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
 I think with the rules for the modified/rear modifieds both have the opportunity to push the envelope as some of you consider it.  I consider it a natural progression of the classes.  As records become more difficult people will chase that aero.  There are classes for the purists,  the modified classes shouldn't be so uptight (not advocating more leeway here just let people work within the rules).  I honestly think its pretty clear that some of you are just hung up on the fact that the class exists at all so regardless of what they look like there would still be a problem.  I do not believe in making classes so that everyone can have a record with whatever they happen to have in the garage.  However from a long term point of view.  Some class changes etc help get fresh blood in and some changes are vital to keep the sport alive. 

So now how bout all those roadsters with no door gaps etc?  I knew I was going to push the limits so I used an original steel body with the cowl etc intact so there was no room to complain at least about that part. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
"If you need a record (. . .) build to the existing rules, don't lobby for a new class."

"I am just going to build bikes from now on – talk about too many classes."

For someone who desires a Bonneville record, the motorcycles are the way to go.  Hundreds of Open records.  No Hans device, no roll cage, no fire systems, just two (or three) tires, only a few cylinders, walking speed's probably okay.  Gotta go two miles.  No trailer needed.  Same certificate -- maybe with only two (or less) significant digits.

Only downside is most of us car guys know and respect the hard runners – including the one that told me he "went thru the four", and I replied, "of course, we're out at the six and a quarter" and he retorted, "no, I went THRU the four."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
As an outsider I thought about how cool it would be to get a record.  Once you get involved you quickly realize that all records are not created nor earned equally.  (see thread about buying a ride)  I am still dissappointed that my first record was not up where I could feel a little more proud of it.  Now for somebody just looking for a bucketlist thing they can talk about to people who don't know any better a 50 mph record may be just fine.  But yah we all know who the hard chargers are and when something impressive happens. 

But lets face it most of the big numbers are put up by a very small group of people.  Not for lack of effort but its just not that. 

I may someday build a bike since I have been a bike guy all my life as well as the cars.  It certainly would be easier (to build), cheaper,  smaller,... and on on  on

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
So much discussion about the RMR class. The haters seem to forget one thing.
    If memory servers me correctly rear engine roadsters existed a very long time ago pretty much from the beginning of this salt flats and lakes racing stuff way back in 1949 or so. Stan Back would know for sure. So there's really nothing new just a previous class that's been revived with a whole lot of improved safety and the freedom to build within the rules and ones ingenuity.     :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »
They just "hate us cuz they ain't us" hehehe :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
Stan, wuz it the 4 that I went through?  Or maybe the 3 3/4 marker.  Or was it someone else?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
Joe Amo
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »
To expand on Ron's statement that REMR have been on the salt from the beginning. Ron Benham used that argument as a basis for his lobby for the new(revised class). I said sure no problem. Lets make them 90" wheelbase, swing axle rear end, etc., just like the old days. OH no!! those cars were unsafe, that is why the SCTA banned the configuration he answered. Duh, I replied. Much argument, petitions and finger pointing resulted in what we have now.

I have some history for Brian as to why we no longer have a FC class(and why restrict it to CFC). We really do have FC just known by another name. This has been discussed before, Nathan Stewart has offered input on the subject.

Thanks for the shout out Bob, I really do have a love for the sport and the people involved.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2017, 10:22:26 PM »
Thanks for everything you do, Dan. It is very much appreciated even if we don't say it much.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
Thanks Ron,

Looking forward to our next talk.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
A bit of history...

Vintage 50's REMR

Ron Benham built REMR (he's the guy that pushed the SCTA to adopt the class)

Todays REMR

I have no heart burn over pushing the rules, that's what it's all about. But when you guys ask "why do we call 'em lakesters" this might help.

Hold on as I gather a few Modified Roadsters....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline BHR301

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
Looking at the pictures, I kind of think Jack might have pushed the rules about as far as you can go with his 1925.....just my opinion.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2017, 01:29:24 AM »
  In My mind (or whats left of it) I applaud Eddie for addressing the issue in this open forum.  I am sure this issue is not sitting well with a whole bunch of REMR owners who would like to see it go away but in truth and with this being a whole new classification there are always going to be "growing pains".  That's the nature of any kind of Motor Racing.
  Smokey Yunick made a career out of what most would call "cheating" but most of His good ideas became legal and helped to propel NASCAR into what it is Today.
  I applaud what the vehicle in question's owner and builders have done especially with what they percieve as researched and documented approval.
  As was stated in a earlier post, vehicle inspectors are not trained to tell You if Your vehicle is legal or not, rather to make sure that Your entry and Safety Equipment are up to snuff and trying to save Your sorry Acura in the worst case scenario.
  I feel that all owners of REMR's should contact Mike Manghelli the Car Rules Committee Chair to gather the Troops including Russ Eyres and any other Committee Contacts to issue a clarification ASAP.
  As much as I feel sorry for any entrants who may in fact now have non-legal cars which as a result may face a lot of time, effort, and money, it is in My mind the correct and only thing to do.
  As We are closing in on Speedweek I would urge all REMR owners with a Bonneville Speedweek entry to plan on racing as intended. If their vehicles qualify for a record they should go after it.  And if they set the record, and the record is not allowed or is protested, KNOW before hand that there is a very strong possibility that it may be rescinded later.
  As much as that sucks it is part of building a car that is a hybrid and allows more discretion in construction of the chassis and body.  The Rule Book can only do so much.
  It is up to the owner/builder to make sure in reading the rules that class rules, engineering rules, safety rules and yes, even participant rules do not conflict with each other.
  Our Rule Makers are volunteers who bust their asses trying to Make sure that every thing is hunky dorry but they are not clairvoyants.
  Eddie did the right thing in bringing this subject up at this time. Lets get this straightened out before it gets any worse.
                                                                                                    Sincerely yours,
                                                                                                       Bob Drury
                                                                                                         Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                           A/CFA  #394
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:33:56 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2017, 03:26:48 AM »
I’m thrilled people are just contributing to the discussion and bringing life to the forum. I’m as guilty as anybody for not posting more, but my excuse is it’s a lot of work keeping a traditional roadster going straight, sometimes.

So here goes; I like the REMR class and I think it has a bright future. And the younger racers I talk to almost universally acknowledge this class as their favorite, and that’s good. Sometimes you just have to accept what others like as the new mainstream. I have a traditional roadster that I’m proud of, but building it was a personal choice. If building fast cars was easy everybody would do it, so my hats off to anybody who builds in special construction.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor