Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville  (Read 45408 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
Interesting what you can do in the tunnel...

But should you?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Wind Tunnel Testing for Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
Ooh lemme try...

That's a good lookin' lakester.
Nice chute fairing... I mean spoiler.... chute fairing... spoiler...
I love the smell of protest in the morning.

:-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »
Nathan --

That's not a lakester, er, well, maybe a pregnant lakester.  You again, look some more, there's a roadster lurking in there.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
We all told Ron that this is what would happen.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Ooh lemme try...

Seems pretty obvious,  but I hate the "horizontal" wording.  Clearly someone is reading that differently

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:12 PM »
Ooh lemme try...

LOL. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Ooh lemme try...

Hmmm...seems our session got "leaked" to the press!  Chute fairings are legal and in spec, according to the tech official who approved the design & measurements before we built them.  We learned last year that the drop in the '27 turtledeck was generating almost 200 lbs. of lift so a redesign was in order to keep that "spin demon" away!

This is our second year and we're having a blast.  Going after the "H" class records this year, with a "little" more HP than last year's "G" motor.

Mike B
MKM Racing

P.S.  The Mojave Magnum events are back in 2018 with a more "land speed-friendly" format for those of you that want to come out and test.  More details coming this fall.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »
Hi Mike,  I am not the last word or in anyway official.  But that arrangement seems to be in direct violation of the written rule as well as the intent of the rule. If you set a record I would expect a protest.  If you are ruled to be legal I would like to hear that,  because it is not how I understand it.  I just like want everyone to be on the same playing field.  I would rather have the heads up before hand,     

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
Hi Mike,  I am not the last word or in anyway official.  But that arrangement seems to be in direct violation of the written rule as well as the intent of the rule. If you set a record I would expect a protest.  If you are ruled to be legal I would like to hear that,  because it is not how I understand it.  I just like want everyone to be on the same playing field.  I would rather have the heads up before hand,     

For RMRs, the rule is clear that at least 35% of the original body must be visible looking down from the top, and we are legal in that regard.  Tech verified the measurements before we cut a single piece of aluminum.  Just where, exactly, do you think we are illegal?

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:49 PM »
Superb job of rules interpretation!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:50 AM »
The wording is a little tricky but the Horizontal part is the thing I question.  When viewed from above can't be more than 65 % as measured in a horizontal plane from the top view.  I have always read that to mean you can't modify more than 65% of the width of the car/decklid area.  Whether it is chutes/fairings or any combination.  If you measure the width of the car not more than 65% can be altered.  Your chute/fairing assembly runs the entire width of the car completely changing the decklid and how the air flows over it.  Completely negating part of the challenge inherent in running a roadster.  This part of the car is closely scrutinized by the others in the class just for this reason.  I will not be the guy to protest,  but someone will,  and unfortunately some will wait till you set a record and then see you frustrated on the salt. 

Now its just my opinion but I think there are better arrangements that can over come the lift and not create the drag that that probably does. I wish I had the opportunity to try to verify some of my ideas on my roadster in the tunnel.  I was really happy with the back of my RMR and it was well within the rules (the way I understood them anyway)  I may have been wrong all this time. 

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
I think the fact that this was posted here, (and the first two responses reinforce that) others are questioning it.  Please Don't kill the messenger! Again if I am wrong would love to hear it.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 01:26:29 AM »
I think the fact that this was posted here, (and the first two responses reinforce that) others are questioning it.  Please Don't kill the messenger! Again if I am wrong would love to hear it.

I'd guess that the first two responses are from TRADITIONAL roadster guys and don't reflect their opinion on the legality of that car within the rules (and may not CARE if it's legal).   :roll:

YMMV

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »
 :-)
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 05:03:39 AM »
Wouldn't the best idea be to get a note of approval from whoever said that building in that manner would meet the rules and add that to the car's documentation?  :? :? :?

If it's preapproved there shouldn't be a problem.

Pete