Landracing Forum Home
October 20, 2017, 01:57:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle streamliner wanted  (Read 1732 times)
Sequim Jim

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »

I'm looking for a motorcycle streamliner project or possibly a turnkey bike. I prefer under 500cc but will consider a larger bike depending on the builder. It doesn't need to have bodywork, but that would be nice.
I'm a tall guy so the frame should be able to be modified.

Best regards
Jim
kiwi belly tank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

How about this?
  Sid.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,15546.0.html
Sequim Jim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »

I've been told by a reliable source the Vincent has stability problems.

Best regards
Jim
kiwi belly tank

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »

That goes hand in hand with a bikeliner but I had wondered if the big Vincent's had given it a high CG. CG, CP & steering inputs can all contribute to instability & are all correctable. A smaller engine & some low ballast will likely make it a whole different animal.
  Sid.
Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »

I've been told by a reliable source the Vincent has stability problems.

Jim, your reliable source may not be that reliable... by definition, bike liners are hard to ride, but I know 2 guys that got in and rode that one with no previous bike liner experience.... in fact they alternated turns and kept it up on its wheels for a couple of years, only riding once a year.  It was converted to a sidecar liner, but not because it had stability issues...

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:17:09 AM »

Someone stating the stability of a Bike Liner would just about be the most personal subjective opinion I could imagine.

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Sequim Jim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »

I like kiwi belly tankís answer. He offered sound advice for solving any problems with a streamliner. Buying a streamliner is a serious purchase, that could get somebody hurt. So a buyer should hear the good and bad about buying anything. Loyalty to friends is wonderful, but opinions based on friendships shouldnít interfere with disclosing possible problems. I know people that are following the Vincent and trust Max. I have tried to contact Max about his bike and havenít gotten a response. I havenít totally written it off as a possible purchase, I just want more information that includes the good and bad, because I can fix the bad, if I know about it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:56:54 AM by Sequim Jim » Logged

Best regards
Jim
comet

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:57:57 AM »

Jim you may have luck contacting Max through Facebook. He is more active on there than he seems to be on here. Could be worth a try.
My understanding was the Vincent liner had a 3rd wheel added solely for the purpose of aiming for a different record. The liner always seemed stable to me from talking to Donny and Hartmutt (the 2 pilots in more recent years, since about 2005 I think).

Good luck with your hunt for a liner.
Calkins

On Any Sunday

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »

I sent this thread to Max.  Hopefully he will reply soon.

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA
WOODY@DDLLC

It's GONE ......... the Ohio Mile! :-(

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »

Someone stating the stability of a Bike Liner would just about be the most personal subjective opinion I could imagine.

First MC streamliner I saw run was Don Vesco in 1970 and I recall he did ~250 on its side!  shocked shocked
All the successful liners have scratches on their sides and their ends and ..............

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz
WEAL
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »

While it is true that we had all sorts of mechanical problems and desasters happen during my 10 years with the Lambky liner, my handling problems were few. I rode the thing on full steering lock through the lights due to heavy side wind, had a rear wheel explode at around 175, a locked up engine spun the liner around so that I was going backwards but the only time I layed it on its side was when I took my first driving lesson (accidently I pulled the skids in at standstill). Max tried several different set-ups for the rear end but the last creation was the best. The aerodynamics are very slippery as well so with a good engine package the thing should go very well. The potential for the Vincent liner was in the region of 350mph, one year I was about to change into top gear and had it up to around 6000 in second, that was about 250mph - the thing was rocksteady and did not need my input - sadly the blowershaft broke and sidelined us. Due to bad weather and other circumstances beyond our control I never got another chance to go 300.

Cheers, Hartmut
PS: every year around august I get some salt fever - would be nice to be back on the salt once more.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: