Author Topic: Motorcycle streamliner wanted  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Sequim Jim

Motorcycle streamliner wanted
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »
I'm looking for a motorcycle streamliner project or possibly a turnkey bike. I prefer under 500cc but will consider a larger bike depending on the builder. It doesn't need to have bodywork, but that would be nice.
I'm a tall guy so the frame should be able to be modified.
Best regards
Jim

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Motorcycle streamliner wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
I've been told by a reliable source the Vincent has stability problems.
Best regards
Jim

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
That goes hand in hand with a bikeliner but I had wondered if the big Vincent's had given it a high CG. CG, CP & steering inputs can all contribute to instability & are all correctable. A smaller engine & some low ballast will likely make it a whole different animal.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
I've been told by a reliable source the Vincent has stability problems.

Jim, your reliable source may not be that reliable... by definition, bike liners are hard to ride, but I know 2 guys that got in and rode that one with no previous bike liner experience.... in fact they alternated turns and kept it up on its wheels for a couple of years, only riding once a year.  It was converted to a sidecar liner, but not because it had stability issues...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
 Someone stating the stability of a Bike Liner would just about be the most personal subjective opinion I could imagine.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
I like kiwi belly tank’s answer. He offered sound advice for solving any problems with a streamliner. Buying a streamliner is a serious purchase, that could get somebody hurt. So a buyer should hear the good and bad about buying anything. Loyalty to friends is wonderful, but opinions based on friendships shouldn’t interfere with disclosing possible problems. I know people that are following the Vincent and trust Max. I have tried to contact Max about his bike and haven’t gotten a response. I haven’t totally written it off as a possible purchase, I just want more information that includes the good and bad, because I can fix the bad, if I know about it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:56:54 AM by Sequim Jim »
Best regards
Jim

Offline comet

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:57:57 AM »
Jim you may have luck contacting Max through Facebook. He is more active on there than he seems to be on here. Could be worth a try.
My understanding was the Vincent liner had a 3rd wheel added solely for the purpose of aiming for a different record. The liner always seemed stable to me from talking to Donny and Hartmutt (the 2 pilots in more recent years, since about 2005 I think).

Good luck with your hunt for a liner.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:24 AM »
I sent this thread to Max.  Hopefully he will reply soon.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Online WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
Someone stating the stability of a Bike Liner would just about be the most personal subjective opinion I could imagine.

First MC streamliner I saw run was Don Vesco in 1970 and I recall he did ~250 on its side!  :-o :-o
All the successful liners have scratches on their sides and their ends and ..............
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WEAL

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
While it is true that we had all sorts of mechanical problems and desasters happen during my 10 years with the Lambky liner, my handling problems were few. I rode the thing on full steering lock through the lights due to heavy side wind, had a rear wheel explode at around 175, a locked up engine spun the liner around so that I was going backwards but the only time I layed it on its side was when I took my first driving lesson (accidently I pulled the skids in at standstill). Max tried several different set-ups for the rear end but the last creation was the best. The aerodynamics are very slippery as well so with a good engine package the thing should go very well. The potential for the Vincent liner was in the region of 350mph, one year I was about to change into top gear and had it up to around 6000 in second, that was about 250mph - the thing was rocksteady and did not need my input - sadly the blowershaft broke and sidelined us. Due to bad weather and other circumstances beyond our control I never got another chance to go 300.

Cheers, Hartmut
PS: every year around august I get some salt fever - would be nice to be back on the salt once more.