Author Topic: Vic Edelbrock Jr.  (Read 2193 times)

Offline AJR192

Vic Edelbrock Jr.
« on: June 10, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
I saw a post from Camee Edelbrock on Facebook that Vic Jr. has passed away.

Offline jpm49c

Re: Vic Edelbrock Jr.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
Edelbrock Performance with Vic Edelbrock.
9 hrs ยท
It's with deep sadness that we announce the untimely death of our visionary and leader Vic Edelbrock Jr. Vic passed away this evening from complications following a recent cold. His passing was peaceful and in the company of his closest friends and family. The Edelbrock Fun Team sends their deepest condolences to his family and will always hold him in our hearts.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
Remind me- was he the son of Vic who started the company (~late thirties)? Was the father also Vic junior?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

velocity

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
Ah Vic, you were a force of high performance nature. Ever will I remember you and Nancy scooting hither and you in the pits on that mini bike. Always turned out in the company red and white colors. Ready with an effusive hand to help, story to tell, and problem to solve. His leadership volunteer spirit uplifted not only the Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association, but the entire industry was better for him being at the helm to navigate through rocky times.

I became well acquainted with this industry giant when SEMA tussled with the EPA and CARB over aftermarket speed parts and the Clean Air Act. Vic was always available to talk. Always. Together with Scooter Brothers of Comp Cams, Bob Burch the Tech Director, Russ Deane SEMA/NHRA counsel, Wally Parks of NHRA, Sheldon Konblatt, Dick Wells and Bob Petersen, I was able to craft a piece called "Vehicle Arrest" that laid bare the utterly myopic, damaging  approach of the government agency. In the end the federal iron fist slowly learned the error of its ways -- much through Edelbrock's dogged determination to keep the speed parts folks at the table.

I was young, a rather inexperienced photojournalist at the time, but that story taught me the powerful value of investigation journalism -- something that was only as good as the sources that trusted you.

Years later, I was hired to edit Tom Madigan's opus of the family and company that went on to to win the MPG Dean Batchelor Award. Out of all the car scribes, he chose me help to help shape the enormous manuscript of more than 300,000 words into a readable 80,000, or so. Once again, working with he, Nancy, Camee and Christie, I was in the Edelbrock orbit for three months and loved every minute of it.

Vic Senior, laid the foundation, and then USC college graduate junior took the company to unprecedented levels of success. What impressed me most was Vic's unwavering, unflinching business model that Edelbrock was, and would always remain, "MADE IN THE USA". It meant he had to buy a foundry to keep that idea going, enduring much more grief than greedy people who want sell cheap parts at high prices.

To me Vic Edelbrock was, and will ever be, a premiere grand statesman of the performance aftermarket. He knew money could buy you position but not respect.

I can't cry because his life is over, I am smiling because it happened.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:02:45 AM by velocity »

Offline deucemac

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:46:55 AM »
Well said  land speed! Well said