Author Topic: Looking for a ride  (Read 19281 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for a ride
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:40 AM »
HEAR YEE HEAR YEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wink: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 12:15:09 AM »
To the hats, the harmonicas and the "hear yees" -

I regret not a penny.

And if I had it all to do over again, I'D HAVE STARTED A LOT EARLIER!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bbarn

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
A slower car obviously can be run at a much lower per pass cost.  I am including cost to build etc. 

Eddie, I understand where you're headed, but I question the equation.

I'd say one could run pretty cheaply if they aren't going for a record.

But I can attest that had I taken the cash I dropped on the 1 liter BMC A-series and sunk it into a well sorted SBC, I'd have time slips with much bigger numbers, and probably about 600 extra horsepower:-o

Extra horsepower? What is that??? Sounds like an oxymoron to me!  8-)
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
There might not be a 'pay for a Red Hat', but there are a number of earned hats by personalities and special crew members.
Most of the crews worked for their opportunities, and others used their fame and cuteness for the Red Hat and no money was exchanged (that I know of).

We always talk that 'More people have climb Mt Everest than are in the Two Club", but what do you think they pay to 'climb' the highest mountain? $20,000, $35,000+? And spend months in the prep and climb?
What am I getting at? Arrive, drive a straight line for 7 miles, get out, put a hat and fly home,,, easier than climbing Mt Everest and maybe cheaper.

Once you get your ride dialed in and you have the horsepower and the magic bullet and runs left, what would you take to offset the effort?

And you want to know where the money really is? Under 200 mph, I know of a racer with a wound tight motor that only has just enough Wheaties to make 3 or 4 200 mph passes, but he needs to license to that point and to do it in his vehicle would cost him the runs left for the 200 effort. So he is willing to pay to get his experience and save his motor for his record (possible record). Is this wrong?
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
most of us just blow them up!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 11:20:11 PM »
most of us just blow them up!!

We race till we break something records or parts :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
...And you want to know where the money really is? Under 200 mph, I know of a racer with a wound tight motor that only has just enough Wheaties to make 3 or 4 200 mph passes, but he needs to license to that point and to do it in his vehicle would cost him the runs left for the 200 effort. So he is willing to pay to get his experience and save his motor for his record (possible record). Is this wrong?

If someone wants to charge and another person wants to pay I figure that is none of my business but....

..in the case above if the car is capable of running over 200, the license passes up to 200 are not going to stress the motor very much.  Those runs made at part throttle could actually help to make sure the motor lasts when he gets in it trying for a record.  He could run full throttle for part of the license runs and that could give him a lot of info on things like air/fuel ratios, oil pressure, data logging, car handling,  etc. plus just getting the seat time in the car which is vital.

Sumner
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:58:36 AM by Sumner »

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
I guess I did mine the right way. Hard way. My way. Hard work and determination. Set backs and failures. Two of us started the build. One had to bail out. We went to Bonneville and Wilmington. We looked, asked questions, studied, took pictures, and crewed. I kicked the rods out of an SB2 in Ohio and had a chute fail. It's a little hairy stopping a 5000 lb car doing over 180 in a mile. Made it to Bonneville last year with a junk engine that got me licensed up and 2 runs on the long course. We laugh we cried and we had the time of our lives. Me, Scaaty and the best crew I could ask for. Then I put a friend in my car. A friend the knows all to well the work and expense involved. I got to watch the nerves set in. I got to see the joy of a man doing something that he never thought he would get to do. I saw the tears and the laughter. I saw his C and my B license. This you can not fly in and buy. Scaaty Racing looking for more than last year with all the fun and laughs as a bonus.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
Don M. said:  "I guess I did mine the right way. Hard way. My way. Hard work and determination. Set backs and failures. Two of us started the build. One had to bail out. We went to Bonneville and Wilmington. We looked, asked questions, studied, took pictures, and crewed. I kicked the rods out of an SB2 in Ohio and had a chute fail. It's a little hairy stopping a 5000 lb car doing over 180 in a mile. Made it to Bonneville last year with a junk engine that got me licensed up and 2 runs on the long course. We laugh we cried and we had the time of our lives. Me, Scaaty and the best crew I could ask for. Then I put a friend in my car. A friend the knows all to well the work and expense involved. I got to watch the nerves set in. I got to see the joy of a man doing something that he never thought he would get to do. I saw the tears and the laughter. I saw his C and my B license. This you can not fly in and buy. Scaaty Racing looking for more than last year with all the fun and laughs as a bonus."

Okay, guys, he gets it.  I think we should vote him into the secret club, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
Hey Slim   I want in. I want a Red Hat also but I need my A license first. See ya in a few weeks on the salt.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT