Author Topic: Looking for a ride  (Read 19282 times)

Offline Eddieschopshop

Re: Looking for a ride
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »
You guys got me thinking... What is a 200 club ride worth exactly?  I know that there are some that have done it on the cheap,  but what is the average guy have invested in his 200 hat?  100K?  200?  The pay to play type of racing done in other forms of racing really isn't comparable.  Most racing is a business especially at the "pro" level you mentioned. 

I just finished a brand new car that I am hoping to get a blue hat with.  I have spent years planning,  built and raced a slower car to gain experience,  spent another 1.5 years (quick actually) building and a spent  what to me was a small fortune.  I can't imagine how I could put a price on that.  As said there are some "opportunities" out there I guess.  I am not familiar with them.  But I am curious,  how much is it worth to you?  What would be the perceived market value?

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
I crewed on a car for several years before building my own.  My first outing I got a record at 212 in the books,  on the back up run I got up to 290 to pull the chutes and go through the lights at 276 at the four mile mark only to have a blown engine $$  and still no 200 hat on that trip.   Getting in the 2 club is a serious accomplishment that encourage you to chase if your interested.  Just keep in mind when talking to people that  there are some who have been chasing it for years and havn't got there yet.  If you do make an arrangement that manages you to arrive and drive,  just keep it in perspective to the people that have done it the hard way.  2 club is always a big deal,  but Bonneville is about the spirit of trying to be your own personal best.  The innovators and the tinkerers and the damned determined are pioneers that made it the big deal it is.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:36:52 PM by Eddieschopshop »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
Hey Eddie, everyone is fond of saying the first hat can cost a small fortune, all the others are $10....  :roll:

Chris, don't be thin skinned and leave us.... come to the salt and look around, you may find a team in need.... but first, join the BNI, get a rule book, understand the rules and the number of passes required to get to the magic 200.... check the records, there are still a lot of doable numbers out there, as well as a lot of cars for sale.  Every record is breakable... everyone broke one to set theirs.

Visit the salt during SpeedWeek, it is easier to understand what a great community of folks show up.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
Chris; This site and pretty much Bonneville itself, is mostly for builders. Not drivers. I know several builders who enjoy building much more than driving. Jack Costella comes to mind. If you are still in the SLC area you might look up the USFRA people. They have a club roadster. I don't know how the driving duties are assigned. Or wherever you are, find someone who is currently involved in LSR. I think the pavement guys may be more into bought rides. If your interested, contact Jack. He has worked with many people to get them in a car that got them into the club. But he expects commitment form his partners.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Rich I had not thought of it quite like that but---but you at pretty near to "spot on"  A builder is usually the ONLY one who is driven enough to do the research, to gain the understanding, to put the shape and parts together to gain the goal.
Sorta like Ford Boy says--- If the objective is a Skinned Cat---So many Cats so little Time!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:52:34 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »

For the right amount of money I can pour a seat that will fit you perfectly and give you a chance for a record....Serious inquiries only!    :-D
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »
I am genuinely interested in the value of a hat?  Just from a curious standpoint.  When you factor in the "cost" of licensing a guy up and getting a record especially if done in one event.  You are talking several days of crew,  hotels, getting the car there.  Then the cost of building and maintenance and prep for the event.  Then there is the risk factor

Red hat  10-20K
Blue  30-50K
Black hat ????  if you have to ask.

To the OP what do you expect to pay?  What is it worth to you.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »

Interesting question being asked what would it cost to get the Red hat. Makes me stop and think how long its taken to build a car from nothing then how many events have I attended with the car plenty of which were complete failures. My quick summary goes like this.
 1- Seven years and counting building and improving the car.
 2- 28 events attended running the car with the previous mention some were failures.
 3- To date its taken 6 vintage blocks to get some where's near 200 BUT still miles left to go.
 4- Hotel bills, gas bills, feeding the crew the expense goes on and on.
 5- Cost for all the above A whole lot
 6- The experience to do this and all the great people who have helped guide me especially on this site that's priceless.
 7- Bottom line your missing out on all the above trying to find a ride for that 200 record if one can be found.
   That's the way I see it.
      Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:57 PM »
Wow!

The journey's better than the reward.  (Of course, the reward ain't bad, either.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »
Wayne Jesel could probably answer the question, he brought in Jason Line and in one event, I believe Jason left with a hat.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
I made the mistake one time of figuring out the cost of a motorcycle I built.  The per use cost  (I used it very little) was pretty depressing.  Very similar with a land speed car.  A slower car obviously can be run at a much lower per pass cost.  I am including cost to build etc.  When you look at some of the big liners the cost per run can be staggering.  Some of those cars may only make a couple of passes per year.  A 200 capable car has a run cost of XXX.  I guess if you find a team that has depreciated out their cost (for lack of a better analogy)  maybe their are some "cheap" rides.  I would be happy to let any of my team that has put in the time a chance to license.  None took me up on it in the roadster.  The liner would be a little tougher,  for me to strap someone in,  unless they already had a lot of lsr experience.

It is definitely about the build and Journey for me.  I enjoy all parts of it,  even the obsessing over data in the hotel.  Ah who am I kidding I probably like that part the most.  Did all those stupid ideas actually work? 

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
In all seriousness, are you looking to go 200 MPH on the salt? Or set a record that will get you in the 200 MPH club?  I am sure if you just want to go 200 MPH that could be accomplished fairly easy and for not that crazy of a number, most likely under $10K  If you want to get into the 2 club then that’s a different animal. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
A slower car obviously can be run at a much lower per pass cost.  I am including cost to build etc. 

Eddie, I understand where you're headed, but I question the equation.

I'd say one could run pretty cheaply if they aren't going for a record.

But I can attest that had I taken the cash I dropped on the 1 liter BMC A-series and sunk it into a well sorted SBC, I'd have time slips with much bigger numbers, and probably about 600 extra horsepower.  :-o

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »

But I can attest that had I taken the cash I dropped on the 1 liter BMC A-series and sunk it into a well sorted SBC, I'd have time slips with much bigger numbers, and probably about 600 extra horsepower.  :-o
And not as many harmonica playing cohorts.  :-D
Wayno

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
Well I think we long since lost the original poster...  But my math was all on account of him saying he wanted 2 club/record.   I know my Red Hat cost me a whole bunch in more ways than one.