Author Topic: Best Undercarriage Protection Against Salt  (Read 37298 times)

Offline QikNip

Re: Best Undercarriage Protection Against Salt
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
To add to the point made here (repeatedly) the salt is absolutely ubiquitous! Example: Yesterday when I went to use a feeler gauge (that had spent week in a tool box drawer without ever seeing the light of day) the edges of every blade had surface rust on them. As for the race car, I washed it repeatedly and then thoroughly sprayed every nook and cranny with Salt Away (several times) and despite not being able to find one damn particle of salt visible anywhere when I was done, it continues -  now three months after Speed Week, to occasionally drip brownish water drops on the garage floor. I think it's like the Borg Star Trek line..."Resistance is futile"! :)
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
How many of us can give examples of stuff like "We cleaned the bike down to the frame last autumn, and this spring put it together and when it was on the dyno it was dropping hunks of salt!"?  I've long held that the best way to get all of the salt would be to find a fast-running creek a little bit deeper than the race vehicle and park the car/bike in that stream for four or five days.  That'll get dang near all of it. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline QikNip

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
How many of us can give examples of stuff like "We cleaned the bike down to the frame last autumn, and this spring put it together and when it was on the dyno it was dropping hunks of salt!"?  I've long held that the best way to get all of the salt would be to find a fast-running creek a little bit deeper than the race vehicle and park the car/bike in that stream for four or five days.  That'll get dang near all of it. :roll:

Well maybe most of it  :cheers:
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »

Well maybe most of it  :cheers:

Some of it, for sure.   :dhorse:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Certainly better than nothing.   :-o
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »

I last ran in September of 2014.  The day after I got it home, I put the car up on jacks and ran an oscillating sprinkler under it for a solid day.  Vacuumed and hosed off everything, repeated the process after it had dried probably 2 times.

It's now the 19th of November, 2017, I'm under the car prepping it for some chassis mods, and sureasshit, I wipe my finger on the inside of the driveshaft tunnel, taste it, and it's STILL THERE.

I get a chuckle when somebody suggests that they might build a car for Bonneville and then put it back on the street . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Actually back on the street may be the best idea.... that is back on the street every  time it rains.... A good rain makes me grab the dodge (not a substitution) keys and take it for a long wet drive....  :-D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:25:24 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
We all deal with it in different ways.  My motto is "if it is worth the trouble of fabricating, it is worth using stainless steel, titanium, or corrosion resistant aluminum."  Also, no powder coat on steel stuff.  Zinc chromate primers with spray or brush painting.  Where ever possible shielding is used to keep the salt spray out.  Electronics are at the bare minimum so there is less to worry about.