Author Topic: Best Undercarriage Protection Against Salt  (Read 37300 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Best Undercarriage Protection Against Salt
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
     Thanks for the real deal link SD.  Now I know finally know why the stuff was so hard to clean off the tools and parts over 50 years ago, they had probably been stored within the stuff since at least the end of the second big one -20 years at least.  Such a pain to take off then I've avoided it since.

Ed

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
I used salt x for years. It works better as a cleaner after the trip. Last year I bought bulk wd40 put it in a sprayer and lube up every nook and cranny. I was even covered with it. Worked better than anything I used in the past. Also it helps with all the bare metal parts on the newer trucks.

That's my tip for the race vehicle. Also we've all had that issue where you get home after the salt and all your thrash time and then time away has conspired against you and it's all hands on deck for anything and everything EXCEPT the race car. It takes ten minutes at most to go out to the shed and give the car a hosing in WD40, if you go out a few days/weeks later and there's still water clinging to it, go at it again....

For the tow vehicle I tried silicone spray lubricant one year, emptied a big can on the whole underbody, NOTHING stuck to it, not even dirt, I have also tried others like WD40 but the silicone was the best....however WARNING: it is best used in a contained situation, I wouldn't use it to douse the race car because it is persistent and very slippery...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
One thing about spraying silicone on everything-- don't do it if you ever plan on fiberglassing anything on it or bonding something on with epoxy. Silicones are a good mold release so it will prevent anything from sticking to it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
Neil, actually they're a terrible mold release because if you ever want to bond anything that's been within about three miles of the stuff you're skeeeerooood.  :roll:
Wayno

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
I think that's what I said, Wayno.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
You guys are funny. :-D
BUT wise!!!!.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 12:12:44 AM »
Bought this at the auto parts store.  Sounds pretty good.

http://www.fluid-film.com/
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:07 AM »
Smearing on a thin layer of that blue waterproof boat trailer wheel bearing grease works pretty good.

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
seems to me I read somewhere that a nice pair of FOR SALE signs is appropriate after a few years on the salt....

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
Do take it on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline BHR301

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
If you live in the rust belt (Michigan) in two or three years it will look like every other car or truck.. :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
A rental truck..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »
If you take any vehicle on the salt no matter what precautions you take, it it is doomed. You can coat the underside with whatever you want, but salt dust will get everywhere not just the bottom. The salt particles are suspended in the air all the time, salt water splashes everything, you will bring it into the cab with your shoes and clothes.

The only solution is to make vehicles out of 100% plastic or ceramic and not have a bit of metal in it. Maybe one day...

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline racergeo

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
  Get a roll of Gorilla tape and make some over size wheel well "salt flaps" for rear wheel wells. F@R.  Cover carpet w/cardboard and tape to the sill plats. Spray Blaster brand penetrating catalyst (Home Depot) on your Ebrake assy. and your brake pivot. WD40 under your dash. Then saturate the under carriage, especially where salt is flung off your tires with Blaster brand corrosion inhibitor. Home Depot will sell all these items 5 cans of the Blaster products and the tape for under $30. Then pray.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
I was thinking about the rental that I drove to the salt in '15.  I rented here in Marquette where they didn't have a clue, and when I returned it I spent a few bucks at the car wash rinsing off the most visible of the salt.  I had rented it from a branch at the local Ramada Inn -- so upon returning it I left it way over there in the lot and hoped they'd move it before the next rainstorm.  It was still dripping lotsa salt when I walked away.

Did you happen to buy a black Chevy Cruze from Avis a year or so ago?  Has it dissolved yet? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com