Author Topic: Death of a National Landmark  (Read 3715 times)

Offline RCKirby

Death of a National Landmark
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:58 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I've revised the Utah Alliance video, Death of a National Landmark video and wanted to share the link with you.  Feel free to use the video on any social media platforms you participate in.  Aside from the landspeed racing community, very few people know what is happening to the Bonneville Salt Flats.  We can use all the support we can get!

https://youtu.be/8n-FoCUjXmA

Regards,
RCKirby

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Death of a National Landmark
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »
Well done video RC. That has impact.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
I totally agree that Joe Public has no knowledge of the real situation at Bonneville.
 Due to the fact I still have an accent after all these years, I am always being asked what brought me to the US & my answer is racing at The Bonneville Salt Flats. There are very few of these people that don't know what that's all about & some have heard there "Was" a problem for a couple of years but none of them know the real situation.
 Example: Saturday I go out on a Good Sam service call to a million dollar motor home with a landing gear problem. It's two elderly sisters out of Texas with their driver who stays in the Class B that is towed behind & as usual, ten minutes later I get "the question".
 These old girls had been around horses all there lives & don't even drive but had visited the salt three days before because they knew about it's racing history & wanted to see it. They stopped at the viewing area on I-80 & watched a foreign tourist trying to dig up a souvenir with a spoon & said it was like trying to dig up "ce-ment"! I explained the real situation to them & the fact that the only salt like that north of the freeway is inside the dyke & nothing like the racing area today. They were disappointed to hear the BLM has mismanaged it to the point of depletion for the almighty dollar & that they continue to lie about the facts.
  In this time of the social media boom there must be ways to light a fire under Joe Public's a$$ to make some more noise. What is left of Bonneville right now as a racing surface is junk, this is all about there actually being any kind of future.
 Ironically after many years of building & crewing cars for other's, I am about ready to run my own 4WD AA/BFS but due to the loss of Bonneville will likely have to find my way back to Australia to see it's potential. It's not just about running a liner, it's about running a liner at Bonneville.     
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
  Thanks R.C., every little bit helps and The video helps a LOT!
  Sid, as usual You are right on top of Your game.  What a lot of fellow Racers who were not at Speedweek last year don't realize is that virtually every fast streamliner at the meet suffered body damage along with drive train or tire damage mostly due to the condition of the Salt.
  I don't recall the total of spins by vehicles with enough torque to break the rear tires loose by mid-track but spins beat the shit out of most anything that they occur to and the bumps are not much better.
  Lets all say a little prayer to the SALT GOD'S for a better surface this Year.
                                                                                                    Bob Drury
Bob Drury

velocity

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »
Racers

Please take note the Ron Kirby has done a great deal of work through the years on behalf of land speed racing in general and Save the Slat / Utah alliance in particular. His work helps me tremendously when speaking to government officials and media representatives about the slat crust plight.

The well-worn phrase of "A picture is worth a 1,000 words" takes on fresh, evocative meaning and understanding when Ron puts together his video clips to give the average American a quick, pointed lesson on what the BLM has screwed up for reasons only a federally funded study might some day explain. . . . .