Author Topic: El Mirage May 2017  (Read 16073 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: El Mirage May 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 01:42:51 AM »
Anybody willing to skip the jive-talk and help this newbie understand what I'm seeing after repeatedly playing/pausing the video?
1> It appears that the course is darn close to the pits? [Yes, telephoto lens effect; I just wonder about the actual distance?]
2> For the whole time the roadster is moving backward, is the engine spinning the wheels forward?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:51:54 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Guardrail

• New folks
  • Stan complained
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
Anybody willing to skip the jive-talk and help this newbie understand what I'm seeing after repeatedly playing/pausing the video?
1> It appears that the course is darn close to the pits? [Yes, telephoto lens effect; I just wonder about the actual distance?]
2> For the whole time the roadster is moving backward, is the engine spinning the wheels forward?

You're right about the telephoto lens - looks are deceiving. The course is 90ft. wide and is approx. 250 ft. from the spectators. As for the engine driving the wheels, I pushed in the clutch the moment the car started to come around. I hope this helps.
Willie "Guardrail" Martin
Affiliate San Berdoo Roadsters

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

Why didn't you brake at some point?  How did you know what direction you were heading going backwards?

JL222

Offline Guardrail

• New folks
  • Stan complained
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »

Why didn't you brake at some point?  How did you know what direction you were heading going backwards?

JL222

I did brake after everything calmed down - trying not to hurt anything. I figured I was going the right direction when I was backing up from the return road. I'm no world class driver, just one who has seen a few things.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »

JL222

I did brake after everything calmed down - trying not to hurt anything. I figured I was going the right direction when I was backing up from the return road. I'm no world class driver, just one who has seen a few things.

Having experienced a spin myself at just over 170 some time back {not on dirt} watching your execution on controlling the car as your rolling backward was dam near perfect. No need to apply brakes and cause some other unneeded coarse direction. Well done the way I see it.    :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 12:11:41 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »
Good job. Thanks for explaining.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks to John Wiley for the youtube video from down course...

I'm on his vid at 18:18 for my first rookie run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJSXb1p7Vo8
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:29:46 AM by mtiberio »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »

Why didn't you brake at some point?  How did you know what direction you were heading going backwards?

JL222

You saved the rubber. That was a pro job IMO. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Nicely done.

Offline Guardrail

• New folks
  • Stan complained
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
 Thank you all for your kind words.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
No problem. Hope you all had a great time. :cheers:

Mike.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
Yup, I'd say your spin roll out was great.  I saw you shooting off to the side of the course and thought 'uh oh, this is going to be bad' and then you just turned and let it roll out in a circle.  I thought that was an excellent move. 

And yeah, I spun.  Unfortunately the car doesn't seem to tolerate a less than perfect course.  Went 216.683 in October on a good course and then spun at 200 on my second run due to chewed up course (25mph cross wind probably didn't help either).  The course was horrible this event and I spun on my first run - right at 200 again.  Didn't bother making a second run.  I think if we have any hopes of making a decent run this year it'll be after adding significant weight to the car.  Until that happens, we'll be sitting out. 

Good luck to those who will attempt to run fast at Elmo.  I think the results of this past meet are indicative of what we'll be seeing all year.  I'm actually hoping we get some spring/summer rain to try and maybe fix the lake bed up some.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 07:33:12 PM »
Yah Nathan, I think you are right.  this is what it will be all year.  I was dissappointed with the power I could apply till I saw what everyone else was doing.  Made me feel a little better,  but doesn't speak well for any potential "big" runs this year.