Author Topic: axle control  (Read 6130 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: axle control
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
I would never use a Heim joint unless the suspended member's intended (not accidental, as to compensate for rubber bushing compliance) motion path had some secondary alignment (3rd plane) to it. Think of a motorcycle swingarm with Heim joints, and shudder...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
I agree, there should never be a significant load that would push the ball out. Spherical rod end bearings are meant for radial loads. Just FYI, here is some data from the Aurora catalog (lbs):

Model Number       Use                            Hole Size     Shank Thread    Ultimate Static Radial Load   Proof Axial Load

SPM-8                  Low-cost commercial    0.500"          1/2-20              6430                                  10% max 3-pc
                                                                                                                                                  15% max 2-pc
MM-8T                 Gen Purp, Teflon liner       "                  "                   6660                                     "

ASM-8T                Aerospace $$$                 "                  "                   19500                                2040

Depending on the bearing you select, its strength can vary over a wide range but loading any type axially is a bad idea.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
I'm not sure I completely understand your example.  How about a pic?

Also, are you aware of many of these setups breaking or being damaged in normal operation?  I'm not.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
If you use a "uni-ball" bearing and install it into one of the weld cups that are available from people like The Chassis Shop you can use the uni-ball bearing as a locating bearing with the load being axial. The weld cups are typically 4130 and a very tight fit for the uni-ball and it is retained into the weld cup with a snap ring. This configuration is very common for lower A arm bearings on many race cars. The axial thrust load of the uni-ball is greatly increased by the weld cup as now for the ball to be displaced from it's outer race it also has to stretch the weld cup. I have never seen any testing of the increase in axial load capacity by using a weld cup but it could certainly be 2 to 3 times higher. My son has these on the lower A arm of his 510 Datsun and the next time he has a wheel off I will snap a pic.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.