Author Topic: Awesome Belly Tank.  (Read 13296 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Awesome Belly Tank.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »
For general information, I bought the Belly Tank off of Tom Beatty back sometime in the mid 1980’s. I bought it to put a Flathead Ford V8, and other motors into it and run the car at El Mirage.

When I got the car it was complete with trailer and had the Oldsmobile 302 cubic inch motor in it and the hydramatic transmission. It also had a four port Hilborn injector on top of the blower.

The car had not run since 1963 so I took the car apart down to the frame. I took the frame to Hambro Industries in Sun Valley and had them sandblast the frame. This showed some places in the frame that needed to be replaced as they were rusted through. I looked at the rearend and axles and all the other parts of the car and figured out how much money it would take to upgrade all the existing parts for a motor that would put out 1000 Horsepower, as I was only going to run the Ford Flathead for a short time.

Also I would have had to make a new canopy so I would be able to get into the car. Tom B. was very slender and could somehow manage to get into the car by just taking off the Plexiglass windshield, which by the way was held in place by masking tape. The car also needed to be equipped with a parachute, which it did not have installed, and a new roll cage.

After assessing all of the above, talking with SCTA members, and not wanting to change the car a lot just so I could drive it. I decided to sell the car and find a car more suited to my needs. I would have loved to keep the car but I could not buy another car without selling this car first. So by word of mouth I told people that the car was for sale.

Two people expressed an interested in the car. Don Ferguson Sr, and Mark Dees. Mark was the first to come and look at the car. He was not interested in the motor or transmission. The car was still all-apart, and I asked why he was interested in buying the car. He told me he had Tom Senter’s famous Ardun motor and wanted to put it into the car and on the side put in memory of Tom Beatty and Tom Senter. He did not want to change the car other than that. So walking back to his car he asked how much I wanted for the Tank and I told him a price. He offered me half of what I wanted for it. I told him thanks but no on the offer, and that Don Ferguson Sr. was interested in it also. When I said that Mark reached into his shirt pocket and wrote me a check for the price I was asking. Said he would be back in a couple of weeks to pick the car up. I asked if he would like me to put it back together and the answer was no. A few weeks later Mark brought over a trailer and we loaded all of the parts on the trailer and that was the last I saw of the car until Mark died.

When I bought the car I did not buy the other two motors Tom B. ran in the car. Sometime after I bought the car Tom B. died. I went and bought the other two motors off of his Son. One motor was based on a 371 Olds and he ran it mostly in his pickup truck and it had a wristpin score a wall pretty bad but was complete. The other motor was a 303 Olds motor, which was destroked to 258 inches and only ran once in the Belly Tank. The last time the car ran Tom ran the 302 Olds motor which was a 303 Olds block .030 over, destroked using Potvin full floating bearings, which yielded 302 inches. He had the small 258 inch motor with him so he decided before he left Bonneville he would change the motors out and run the 258 incher for the first time, so he took the manifold, blower and injector off the 302 inch motor and put it on the 258 inch motor. He told me he never changed the jetting and that the motor never cleaned out. It just gurgled through the gears and he shut if off, packed up and went home.

I eventually sold all three Oldsmobile motors(258,302.400) to Adam Wiesman out of San Diego, Ca. I could not give the hydramatic transmission away for free, so I eventually took it to the scrap yard.

When Mark died I got a call from Bruce Johnson asking me if I could come up to Marks ranch and ID parts from the tank. I said sure, so I met him up there and we could only find a few of the parts. Then I remembered I had asked Mark where he was going to take the car, and he told me a yard in Saticoy, CA. Bruce went down there and sure enough the car was there in pieces.

Bruce also told me he had purchased from Mark the new Firestone Bonneville 18 inch rear tires mounted on Halibrand Mag wheels that came on the Belly Tank. Bruce told me he used them on his streamliner.

Someone by the name of Dave on the East Coast bought the tank. I eventually got a call from Dave asking me if I had the motors. I told Dave I sold them to Adam and to contact him. I still had the original Hilborn injector and fuel pump off the 302 motor and Dave bought that off me.

If it means anything the car as pictured was not the way I bought it. The wheel discs are from the Flathead days of the car, before it was stretched for the hydramatic. The car had Firestone Bonneville tires on front, and on rear mounted on Halibrand mag rims with a steel center for lugnuts. I still have the rear Moon Discs and that is the only thing I have left from the car. The car was last run with Fuel Injection and not carbs. It does not have the original transmission as I scrapped it.

At El Mirage one day Jim Miller came up to me and said it sold for $464,000 at an auction. Later it sold in another auction at the Peterson for around $200,000 and went to the Henry Ford Museum. They contacted me and asked about the tank and I told them what I have written here.

Tom G.

PS. Somewhere I have pictures of the tank when I brought it home. If I find them I will post a few.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info Tom, the tank & you by the way are a notable part of LSR history. I know Dave Bengochea & the guys at The Flying A Garage put a lot of effort into getting it somewhat period correct. Many caring people have allowed it to survive for prosperity.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 12:40:09 AM »
Thanks Tom.
That was very interesting. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »
Great piece of history, Tom.  Thanks for sharing.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
I saw the tank on display about three-four weeks ago, standing proud, nose to nose with the Golden Rod while at The Henry Ford in Detroit.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »
To help fill the East Coast gap the guy who bought the Beatty belly tank his full name is Dave Simard from Leminster Mass he also had one of Tom Sentors Arduns he was the guy who sold the car for the $464000.00. When the Rodders Journal was located in Wallingford CT {my home town} the Beatty tank was photographed in their studio for the feature article they published years ago. With the car right here in town I was able to look the car over and see first hand how Tom designed stuff including the upside down early Ford front axle to match the arch of the front spring a simple attempt to reduce frontal drag.
    Seeing the car in person was very special for me since years latter I would build my own lakester trying to duplicate some of the things I saw on Toms tank. My tank is now a rear engine modified roadster but its evolution has roots to seeing the Beatty drop tank.
  Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »
here is a picture of the tank in his garage in 77 when I bought his 27 roadster body.
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
another
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline desotoman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
Your Welcome.

Thanks to Ronnieroadster for filling in the east coast gap, and Cheap-n-Dirty for the pictures.

Which reminds me of another story. When I went to pick up the Belly Tank Tom and I walked out to his garage and he opens the door and I said where is the Tank. He said right there and I said Where? He pointed to a spot and after removing some empty cardboard boxes, there it was. I was worried about the condition of the tires on the trailer as I did not want any problems on the way home. I noticed that one tire was a ten ply tire and that seven of the plies were exposed in one spot. I said to Tom that I hoped I got home without getting a flat. His reply was that it took one ply to get to Bonneville and one ply to get home, so I would not have any problems towing the 10 miles to get the car home.

The other thing I noticed about the trailer was that it had some small wheels up in front of the trailer that were spring mounted and I asked what they were for. He told me that when running the Flat heads in the Tank, he loaded the 40 ford panel truck with the boring bar and all necessary equipment to fix the Flat heads and with the tongue weight of the trailer the Panel was way to low in the rear, so those small wheels took up the tongue weight of the trailer and allowed the Panel Truck to maintain a better height in the rear.

Tom Beatty was a great guy. I am glad I stopped by his shop many times and asked all kinds of questions, he would always graciously answer them. I miss him and those times.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.