Author Topic: rules, rules..  (Read 4980 times)

Offline jjolly

rules, rules..
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:59 AM »
So..My rule book is at work and I am not. I have questions. 1. Can I remove the mirrors from my CGC Mustang?  2. Can I run water/methanol injection?  3. I am installing a polycarbonate hatch window in my car, what "safety film do you recommend for headlights? Do I need to put the film on my door windows?
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?

Offline saltracer1

Re: rules, rules..
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
pretty sure you CAN NOT run a water/methanol mix in C/GC. you can run a straight water injection, the methanol is considered fuel, as in fuel class.
Mirrors are not on the list of things that must be retained.
We replaced the door glass and rear window with Lexan on our Mustang, but did take care to mount the glass in the original track.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
Polycarbonate (lexan usually) is fine without any "film". You do need to screw it in and maybe use retaining clips. Plane water will do fine. It's not likely to freeze on the salt. I don't know about the film for headlights. Ther was a thread about that here.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
Safety film- not tint film etc, must be on both sides of non laminated (as in everything but windshield I think- certainly all the tempered glass). Headlights must and any other glass must have safety film.

As others, no methanol in water injection and  the tank must be sealed when water is added just as in fuel tank. ( rule 2B) Sealed and inspected before EACH record run. ( I wonder how often that happens but it is what the rule says)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
Your water only tank needs to be inspected and sealed just like your gas tank. Go to impound and get someone to look at it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
...As others, no methanol in water injection and  the tank must be sealed when water is added just as in fuel tank. ( rule 2B) Sealed and inspected before EACH record run. ( I wonder how often that happens but it is what the rule says)

It happens and it is your responsibility to have the water tank sealed before you make a run if you intend to go to impound after one.  We have taken bottled water for the tank and the inspector has had us drink some and then fill the tank with the rest and it is then sealed.  Same procedure if you are in impound and have to break the seal and add more,

Sumner

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:04:19 AM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:09:06 PM »
hmmmm wonder how Everclear  :-o and water would work :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
My emphasis was "each" run. Certainly when refilling, needs reseal but if someone has a big tank are they getting it looked at when they are out there doing laps with short lines? Anyway, they have to be sealed with water only. Being an optimist I count every run as a record (qualifying) run... :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Which model of Mustang are you running?  I think all Mustangs had non-integrated mirrors, but the reason I bring this up is that later Camaros had mirrors integrated into the fenders, and I recall some issue with respect to some production based classes as to where the mirror actually started.

If your Mustang is '87 or newer, the headlights are likely already polycarbonate.

I'd be tempted to go ahead and replace all of the windows with polycarbonate and just be done with it.  At some point, it's likely that's the direction the rules will have to go.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
My emphasis was "each" run. Certainly when refilling, needs reseal but if someone has a big tank are they getting it looked at when they are out there doing laps with short lines?..

I'm not sure what the question is.  If the water for injection is sealed and the gas tank is sealed you can run as many times as you want and still be able to go to impound if you qualify,

Sumner

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
My emphasis was "each" run. Certainly when refilling, needs reseal but if someone has a big tank are they getting it looked at when they are out there doing laps with short lines?..

I'm not sure what the question is.  If the water for injection is sealed and the gas tank is sealed you can run as many times as you want and still be able to go to impound if you qualify,

Sumner

Sumner- I don't disagree and this is of course reasonable. I was just pointing out the language used in the rule book, which says the tank "shall be inspected and sealed before EACH (emphasis mine) record run." Since the SCTA uses "shall" (and my lawyer wife concurs) to mean an imperative this says every time, not just when the tank is filled. Of course this is my interpretation and freely admit to being full of it.  :roll:  Think we can put this one away. :-P
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
I think it still works as worded.

"sealed before each record run" . . . well, if you keep it sealed, qualify in the first, second, third or whatever and go to Impound, it's still sealed before your qualifying run and they inspect it there in Impound.  And if you don't have to add water, you run it again in the back-up run -- and get it inspected again for certification.

Same with gas.  Sealed and run as much as you can if you've got enuf.  But if you want to add some gas or water, you have to do it under supervision and have it resealed.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records