Author Topic: displacement Pre-Inspection  (Read 6649 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
displacement Pre-Inspection
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
I know it is possible to get an engine displacement predetermined and pre-certified --any suggestions?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: displacement Pre-Inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:52:06 PM »
Invite Dan over for a steak dinner and a glass of red wine  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
In Arizona your contacts are Fred Dannenfelzer or Bill Goldman.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:09:10 AM »
Thanks Dan!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:23:47 AM »
Is there any provision for "distant" displacement pre-certification (I'm on the east coast)?

Oops... it's a moot point, since certification isn't needed unless a record is set. :x
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:25:33 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
just thinking positive  :-D

Offline jww36

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
How exactly is displacement determined? Does the engine have to come apart for any other measurements if you set a record at El Mirage or Bonneville?
John

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
Is there any provision for "distant" displacement pre-certification (I'm on the east coast)?

Oops... it's a moot point, since certification isn't needed unless a record is set. :x

This is true Jack, but depending on your engine configuration certification of a record may require pulling the head for direct measurement of B&S which of course is a major PITA. Dan has a tricky device that can work with central plug heads and maybe others and in the past I was able to pump my engine though it is right at the borderline and so might be questioned. My current configuration would not allow pumping it. (DOHC like yours).

Besides if you are not planning on setting a record why go? ok, there are exceptions to that questions but: Think positive.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
John,

The engine certification procedures are covered in Section 1.H. All sections of the rule book require equal attention.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jww36

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Thanks Dan.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
I wonder how many read the SCTA-BNI web site. There is a lot of racer information that includes the operating procedures for the Dry lakes and for the salt/ check  it out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
Read, Glen....surely you speak in jest.... People don't read anymore it takes too much valuable time. They may ask someone "what does it say" but reading and writing is so passé. Ask some of the LSR builders and they don't even have a rulebook let a lone take the time to read it...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jww36

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
JD;
I don't think anybody new to LSR and wanting to build his or her own car would proceed without reading a rule book. If so, not anybody you would want in this sport. Before and during my roadster build I wore a rule book out. Read everything pertaining to rules, safety, class information, etc. over and over again. In addition, I asked LSR veterans probably a million questions gaining as much knowledge as I could about participating in this sport.
Regarding displacement check, I've never been in a position to worry about the procedures involved in record certification. But that is why a lot of us are here. Working hard and doing what we can to improve your car/bike to maybe some day put yourself in tech inspection for just that.
John

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
here's to your pre-dawn wait at the end of the road!!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »
jww36 --

I disagree.  I've queried car (and bike) builders who've entered their vehicles and waited to be told what class they were in.  Usually, if they're lucky, they may be allowed to run Time Only.

For instance, there's the case of a very beautiful professionally-built 6-figure roadster that showed up one year and didn't fit any roadster category.  Yes, it does happen.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records