Author Topic: Classic Gas Coupe belly pan?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline jjolly

Classic Gas Coupe belly pan?
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
With only 128 days to get my car ready and delivered to Wendover, I have a question. I actually have more than one question but I will ask them one at a time. I thought I read (yes I have a rule book) that I could have a belly pan under 49% of the car. Any input is truly appreciated!
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Classic Gas Coupe belly pan?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
With only 128 days to get my car ready and delivered to Wendover, I have a question. I actually have more than one question but I will ask them one at a time. I thought I read (yes I have a rule book) that I could have a belly pan under 49% of the car. Any input is truly appreciated!

Not in Gas Coupe.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
Uh oh someone's trying to be crafty.  So, technically, by the definitions in the rule book, a belly pan is only a belly pan when it covers at least 51% of the undercarriage of a vehicle.  In GC, streamlining, including belly pans, is not permitted BUT jjolly is trying to be Smokey Yunick here and say that his belly pan isn't a belly pan since it only covers 49% of the undercarriage of his vehicle.  We've encountered a fun grey area here but I will say that the spirit of the GC rules are that there isn't supposed to be ANY paneling under the car that covers ANY percentage of the undercarriage.  GC are essentially production cars with engine swaps and quick change rear ends with NO STREAMLINING.  You could roll the dice and try to get away with this as a technicality but I'm pretty sure Dynoroom is the door slammer committee head so like he's already said, your 49% belly pan is a no go in GC.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »
I agree with Nathan and Mike. In the 2017 rule book page 85( 2016 rule book page 87) certain items in Section 4.CC are not allowed. The listed items allowed.

Belly pan is defined in Section 4.cc.3 and not listed in Gas Coupe class. Trust me, it will be checked by the Impound team.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jjolly

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
Got it! Not trying to pull a fast one (!) nor manipulate the rule's just trying to get through tech with as little grief as possible! Thanks for your input!
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?