Author Topic: Salt Flats Cafe  (Read 50277 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Salt Flats Cafe
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
Rich, as usual, is correct.  The Salt Flats Cafe was a Mexican restaurant before, and (I believe) Millie's before that.  It's in a double-wide mobile.  Just past the Painless Dentist if he's still around.  

The Hideaway is northwest of that, in Nevada, on what I believe the map shows as Scobie Dr.  It's in a mobile home village (trailer park).

Both are worth visiting.

I'm still looking for the 8x8x8 1/4-inch steel jail that used to be easy to find in Wendover.

And the drag strip that was on the airport property.  A few years ago we met some guys from SLC that came all the way to compete.  The guy that ran it, as I remember, took the tickets, was the announcer, and was the starter, too.  No return road -- you had to come back along the strip.  Made the program last a little longer that way, too.  And, in the pits, you saw piles of spare tires and hubcaps and tools out of the competitors' cars.  Looked like long ago.  Match races made most of the program I saw.  Everyone having fun and swapping dollars.

A few years ago there was a nightclub down in the airbase.  A two-story building with the top floor looking uninhabitable.  I think Friday was "Bring-Your-Own-Knife Night".  We never did partake.  

Wendover can be fun.  No, it's not like home, but there are people and things that are interesting.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 12:11:23 AM »
I just hope someone in town is selling ice cream, I really missed the ice cream and taco joint in the tire shop!
See Y'all on the salt  8-)  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Roadkinglsr

• New folks
  • "Form follows function"
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
I agree the Taco and Ice Cream place in that station was great.  Always stopped in once or twice or more..

Offline Freud

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Kepner, the drag race guru, and I went for an afternoon

at the drag strip. There was a woman and her child in the

grand stand to watch Daddy race. Kepner just doesn't ever

get close to a drag strip w/o having a look.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline edinlr

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
I'm curious if anyone had a disappointing experience at the new Salt Flats Café?  We went for breakfast and even though they were slow, the service was slow and bad.  My wife's food came out first and was cold and my eggs came out 5 minutes later.  On top of that I think prices were up by 50% from last year.  The locals said they had the same experiences.  I doubt they will be around in 2018 based on this.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
We had breakfast there three times and dinner once - all good!  :cheers:
Nugget - raw shrimp salad replaced by over cooked cheeseburger!  :x :x
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
We ate there a few times - for dinners only. The menus are the same - same prices.  Nancy and I enjoyed our dinners for $11 TOTAL each time.  No complaint from us, no dire predictions.

As for breakfast-- I do remember them being so slammed in the old location that one day at breakfast Fogie was waiting tables - in Spanish!  What a hoot. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
  We ate dinner and breakfast there several times. All good and very reasonable prices. I made the comment that the new flystrips were a nice touch from the old place. I only got a blank stare. No problems and good food.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jdincau

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
Except for the location it was exactly like years before, food, prices and service were great! Marcello says business is good, they get a lot more local traffic than they did out at the truck stop.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
Doug, didja noticed the fly strips were kinda fancy -- they evidently come with factory-installed black dots in pretty patterns - so that when flied get stuck they just add to the gaiety of the design.

I liked 'em! :-D :-D  And - the a/c did a better job than at the truckstop.  It wasn't cool inside - but cooler than at the old location.  We'll go back there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Hers to Tres Amigos and a BIG APPLE juice!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
We went several times, same great food, same note free ordering, same calculator (brain) giving you the reasonable bill.  Some items were up $.25-.50 from last year, but that barely matches inflation...
They have twice as many tables, twice as many folks eating at one time, seems that with all that considered, they served in about the same amount of time as usual... about the time it takes to get our food anywhere else in Bendover.... but more reasonable
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Hers to Tres Amigos and a BIG APPLE juice!  :cheers:
Yep! I don't drink much Apple juice but it's still on the menu & I had a bigin!  :-D
  Sid.

Offline sdroadster

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18:09 PM »
One of the waiters told us that the new owners of the gas station raised the rent for the Salt Flat Café to $4000.00 per month. Now they have a new restaurant serving "Indian cuisine" We'll see how long these new owners will last.....

Offline Freud

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
By staying at our 5 Star Motel 6 it's just too convenient to

cross the street and frequent the Copper Kettle. I left on

Tuesday morning so I had less opportunity to shift my

place of dining. One night at the Rainbow Buffet was the

only "outside" meal. When Kepner and I walked in and

our greeters smile went from cheek to cheek we knew

we would be spoiled.  Correct assumption. Ain't it great

when we are recognized in our home away from home???

FerD
Since '63