Author Topic: Weld Racing Spindle Mount Wheel 3/8 bolt size holding halfs together Question  (Read 5910 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Weld Racing spindle mount front wheels use five 3/8 bolts to hold the wheel halfs to the inner bearing hub assembly.  The SCTA rule requires 1/2 inch hardware to mount wheels. Could these 3/8 blots be considered mounting hardware?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
I sure you will be fine-- 1/2 inch bolts are for those guys that like to gorilla tighten wheel mounting bolts and twist them off  yours are spindle mounts
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jdincau

To get a definite answer ask Steve Davies the SCTA head car inspector

flyingkiwi97@aol.com
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ronnieroadster

To get a definite answer ask Steve Davies the SCTA head car inspector

flyingkiwi97@aol.com

Today I attached my question above to an Email which I sent to Steve Davies
 Steve answered me quickly.  He wrote No, they are part of the wheel construction.
  Spindle mounts are acceptable as they are specifically designed for racing.
     Thank you Steve and everyone else who responded.
   One less thing to worry about.
       Ron

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Ron,
I also have a set of Weld Racing spindle mount wheels for my little lakester and although I have never had it tech-ed both of the previous owners, Jim Lyndy and Dave Best have a note in the log from an inspector that requires them to replace the 3/8 assembly bolts with 1/2 inch bolts. The last time was at the Mojave airport race 8/7/2015 and the inspectors name was Bruce Vaughn (spelling, I can't really make out the last name as his signature is pretty squiggly) I did drop a line to Lee Kennedy but your reply from Steve is better. (Lee can be a little slow)

Thanks for doing my work!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ronnieroadster

Ron,
I also have a set of Weld Racing spindle mount wheels for my little lakester and although I have never had it tech-ed both of the previous owners, Jim Lyndy and Dave Best have a note in the log from an inspector that requires them to replace the 3/8 assembly bolts with 1/2 inch bolts. The last time was at the Mojave airport race 8/7/2015 and the inspectors name was Bruce Vaughn (spelling, I can't really make out the last name as his signature is pretty squiggly) I did drop a line to Lee Kennedy but your reply from Steve is better. (Lee can be a little slow)

Thanks for doing my work!!!

Rex

Rex
    Im going to print out Steves Email to me with his answer and have it with me in case an Inspector at Speedweek confuses the assembly bolts with wheel studs. Dont want to have a suprise during inspection. When you receive the answer from Lee please let us know.
 Ron

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Ron, it's wise to ALWAYS print out and carry letters and permissions and variances and everything -- in your log book.  Heck - if you've got a really weird one - print out the email/letter, take it to inspection and have the sender (Lee K, Kiwi Steve, whomever wrote it to you) have him sign/initial/verify it.  Now you've got a golden document that'll be really hard for an inspector to ignore the next time.

Just thinking. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

As an inspector for over 25 yrs  I cannot agree with SSS more. On any type vehicle it is always best to photograph hard to see items especially any enclosed arm between the body and frame you can't see with the body on and have them with your log book. Another thing is a dated reciept for your fire system inspection.

I can tell a person who gives a s--t by how the keep their log book. If it's in a 3 ring binder with zip package with all their licenses, membership cards, printed inspection sheet they checked off each item themselves at home, etc: I know I'm normally not going have a problem.

But if I get one not fill out (especially the front section) and it looks like it's been outside in the rain I guarantee I'll spend some time on EVERYTHING on the inspection form. Just stands to reason, if you don't care enough about your log book you probably didn't do much to your car from last year visit to the salt..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro