Author Topic: Black line question  (Read 2207 times)

Offline pdubu

• New folks
Black line question
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »
I was talking with a coworker today and the question came up about the black line on the salt.  Movies etc show the cars following right down the line with markers further out to each side. Since I've only been going to Bonneville since 2000 the only way I've seen it has been the black lines and marker down the sides and nothing by white in the middle. So to the question: When, if ever, was the black line the center of the track?

The follow-on question is: If the black line was the center, when and why did it change?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
black line
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
For many years we had one course and a center black line. Over the years the salt condition was going away and the need of additional courses was needed and they were placed side by side. The one line in the center was being rutted because everyone was running on the line. This led to laying out the additional courses and running between the lines to prevent tearing up the center of the courses. Running between the lines with the mile markers and turn out cones seems to give the course a longer life.
Each year it becomes more difficult to find real good salt for the 2 courses.

There are pros and cons regarding a single or two lines. Some like one others like two. :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

Re: black line
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:14 AM »
Quote from: Glen

Each year it becomes more difficult to find real good salt for the 2 courses.

Glen, I am not trying to put you on the spot, but do you think the 3 and 4 course ideas are feasible? What are your thoughts on that?
Thanks,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.