Author Topic: Ackattack in Bolivia  (Read 100927 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: Ackattack in Bolivia
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2018, 01:13:57 AM »
So how many days are left for racing in bolivia. I hope ack gets a chance to put in some decent runs.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2018, 06:01:32 AM »
This is the last day of racing... unless someone coughs up some bucks to extend.... well kinda.... they could make passes on the 16th but that is the day everything runs out and it would be a mad dash to clear out on time.
Just like Bonneville the gov controls the salt and you buy a window... the issues are with shipping... the containers were shipped soon enough that they should have been sitting in Colchini waiting... but we are dealing with third world countries.... my guess is that your container keeps going to the back of the customs line if you are not there to bribe your way to the front.
On a lighter note... Ralph entered the mile at 299 yesterday, but slowed to a 295, his data showed he was going 308 at one point in the mile, but then his traction control took over when the rear wheel went to 318.  He made 4 runs yesterday, was blown off the course the last one, 8mph cross.
Erin made a run, entered the mile at 221, but then started slowing... they tried again and let the oil out of the motor, might have hurt it on the previous run... N20 can be a b1tch.
Ack attempted a run... had an electrical issue and went back to the pits, came out again, was waiting for Ralph to return, that's the run that Ralph was blown off course, Ack took it back....
The wind really came up and I think Ack lost a couple of pop-ups, they didn't leave but they mangled a bit.
Ralph's crew is getting pretty good at tire changing
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2018, 07:52:16 PM »
Does altitude affect cavitation?

Asking for a friend...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2018, 08:52:59 PM »
Does altitude affect cavitation?

Cavitation occurs when the local pressure in the fluid becomes less than the vapor pressure of the fluid.  It then stands to reason that if the superimposed atmospheric pressure is reduced by going to “altitude”,  the tendency to cavitate would increase, although it may be a minor effect.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »
Copied from Cook's Facebook page.

Al Lamb
Yesterday at 3:37 PM ·

Mike Cook's Top Speed Shootout in Bolivia 2018 has officially come to an end! Congratulations to Erin Sills she has successfully reclaimed and upped Andy's record with a 229mph average on a 221mph record! Great job Erin!!! Chasing 300 is still on...Ralph Hudson burnt up a piston on his last pass at 250mph and was unable to run again as well as was running short on tires. His final FIM Land Speed Record was I believe...297mph! Great job and effort on his part! Let's see how things shake down at Bonneville with us both trying to get the Land Speed Record for 300mph on a sit on motorcycle! This should be tons of fun this year I know how bad we both want to be the first! It's back on! Unfortunately Ack Attack and Rocky faced some mechanical issues and were never able to complete a pass this is so sad and frustrating I'm sure for the team. Great job to everyone involved and thank you for being a part of my Bolivian race family! See you next year for sure the team has located a plane that is going to try to land right on the salt next year!!! Won't ever have this shipping issue effect the event again! I'm sure it would have been exciting to have the opportunity to race with such friends this year!!!
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2018, 09:58:48 PM »
Folks argue about what a "land speed record" really means. I guess without FIM sanction it isn't real so Bill Warner's 311.945 at Loring doesn't count..... much. RIP
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »
In my opinion there is no absolute land speed record because the speed achieved is tied to the venue. Just like you can't compare El Mirage records to Bonneville records, you also cannot compare the Bolivia Salt Flat record to the Loring record held by Bill Warner. It is just apples and oranges. Ralph Hudson's record is amazing but that was almost ideal conditions, almost like driving on asphalt and in a special event where he could make a run anytime he was ready - not waiting in line for days.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »
So what weight do people put on the contention that as altitude increases, lowering the density altitude, the available oxygen that forced induction motors can gather increases their advantage. Thus we would expect to see NA records to be higher at sea level (Gairdner) where there is more available oxygen and forced induction classes be able to exploit the lower drag at altitude ( Salar de Uyuni)..??

Or, are the effects no where near proportional, thus the ideal is somewhere near the altitude of Bonneville?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:39 AM »
Waiting to see how Erin and Ralph's bike's preform at Bonneville, then folks, we can compare and analyse   :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 05:24:16 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2018, 07:29:14 AM »
So what weight do people put on the contention that as altitude increases, lowering the density altitude, the available oxygen that forced induction motors can gather increases their advantage. Thus we would expect to see NA records to be higher at sea level (Gairdner) where there is more available oxygen and forced induction classes be able to exploit the lower drag at altitude ( Salar de Uyuni)..??

Or, are the effects no where near proportional, thus the ideal is somewhere near the altitude of Bonneville?

I believe that aero drag goes up by the cube of the speed. If power is lost linearly or even by the square of the air density, then going up in altitude is mo-betta. what you lose in HP, you more than gain in Cd.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
Someone may want to fact check this but I think FIA/FIM make no distinction where and under what conditions you set a record only that you meet their criteria to do so. FIA was present at at least one DLRA meet I attended and FIM was at the Bolivia meet. Venue specific meets are different. In 1995, SCTA would not recognize records set at Lake Gairdner due to altitude disparity. I guess airport tracks do the same in that each keep separate records.

John

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:04 AM »
Both drag and NA power are proportional to air density, so classically, analytically, it is a direct tradeoff--a change of air density shouldn’t make any difference.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
Aero drag goes up as square of speed, HP needed goes up as the cube. IO is correct but I think there is no free lunch and somehow the drag reduction and HP reduction never quite equal out in the real world..... :wink: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019