Author Topic: Ackattack in Bolivia  (Read 100920 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Ackattack in Bolivia
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
 :-)  Right ON ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »
Mike, thanks very much for giving us the details on the turbo situation.  I was wondering how the system would cope with the lower density of ambient air.

That is, I didn't know how much scalability there'd be in the system before the lack of air was more than the available turbo/exhaust to compress that air enough to make a net gain.  Now I've got an idea of how the situation is approached.

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
Because of the altitude we will have 8% less drag than Bonneville and just having returned from the wind tunnel if we run with the doors on that is another 10% drag reduction for a total of 19% reduction. In 2010 at Bonneville with two trashed motors that had no 5th and 6th gear a five mile run up to the timing lights we actually exceeded 400 mph at the very end of the timed mile before Rocky shut off. With 19% less drag a ten mile run up and much more power than we had at Bonneville, you can do the math, the potential looks pretty scary, if we just don't run out of gas.

Mike, thanks for responding so quickly to the questions I and others are asking.

It seems you have plenty of power, low drag and a great course (and maybe a large enough fuel tank :-)).  Presumably the limiting factor, once everything else is optimised, is traction.  Can you use all the power you've got?  Would you care to share your theoretical top speed if everything works as designed?  Appreciating that you won't expect to achieve the theoretical maximum in real world conditions.  I'm guessing that if you want to achieve 400 mph you probably need to design for about 440 mph (I'm plucking +10% out of the air).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:42:01 AM by TrickyDicky »

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
When you talk about the 10% drag reduction from the "doors",  I am assuming you are talking about parachute doors?  Thats a pretty impressive number,  was it run in the tunnel with and without to achieve at that ?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 02:50:47 AM »
The parachute will not be as effective up there.  Some extra slowing down room might be needed.

Offline ack

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
When you talk about the 10% drag reduction from the "doors",  I am assuming you are talking about parachute doors?  Thats a pretty impressive number,  was it run in the tunnel with and without to achieve at that ?

Yes with them on and off the data at the wind tunnel correlated very well with Swift CFD data we had.

Wobbly:

First thing we did is talk to Bob Stroud he has no concerns. We have never used the low speed except during a crash. Rocky has to add power at Bonneville to reach the end of the track. Besides we have another 80 miles to slow down.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
thanks for the response,  reinforces my decision to do the doors on the new car

Offline ack

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
thanks for the response,  reinforces my decision to do the doors on the new car

Jim True rook his car a couple weeks before us. Tom B and him taped on cardboard doors and got similar results.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
The doors are somewhat controversial,  but after testing mine last week at Elmo i am happy with the functionality and the dual positives.  The drag reduction and also additional drag/stabilization when open.  It is very interesting to look at the dust change when the doors open.  If you go to John Wylie's videos form the May event,  my car runs at around the 6:20 mark in the Sat #2 video  watch the dust coming off the car at the end of the pass when the doors open.  When I open them they only open enough initially for the chutes to deploy,  not much differnt aero vs a car with no doors at that point.  Its a significant change in the dust.

Offline toclub

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
Even if you have a 100 miles to stop, you will need some type of locator beacon on the vehicle. Chase vehicles will not be able to keep up at 400 mph. He will get lost.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »
Actually, Mike's business (ACK Technologies) manufactures Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) beacons for aircraft, so that won't be a problem!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline ack

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
The latest video episode 2  is posted on our website it documents Mike Cooks trip in March and the salt conditions.

http://top1ackattack.com/

Offline ack

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 08:04:34 AM »
Talked to Mike Cook last night 15 mile by 120 foot wide track hard as asphalt smooth as glass. Mike Jr has photos and video of the track prep on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.j.cook.94

Here is the latest video episode on aerodynamics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLTDKb7dHymNBAfZ_OaCADPYeJUs_02JZx&v=YPg-eM58NLI&feature=youtu.be

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
Thanks for posting!
E-Racer

Offline ack

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
We are leaving for Bolivia.

There should be daily updates on either face book page.

https://www.facebook.com/top1oil/

https://www.facebook.com/top1ackattack/

You can also follow on the website but it will be behind a few days.

http://www.top1ackattack.com/