Author Topic: Salt updates  (Read 75079 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Salt updates
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
ahhh, right. Okay.
I always thought that the rainfall kind of leveled the playing field a bit and redistributed the salt. Of course I was completely avoiding the fact that it is getting sucked out from beneath. But that won't be the mining of course, that will be gravity. It sucks you know.

Actually Mate, the "sucking from beneath" is also the mining company. They pump from the water table under the sat flats as well as flowing off surface water from the top through a canal system. When the surface water from winter run-off is low like this year, pumping water & flooding it from the mine side of the freeway allows them to continue flowing salt slurry to the mine. Initially the racing community was under the impression that the annual pumping back program would help build the salt content but logic has shown that without putting the plug in the drain hole it just goes right back to the mine again & taking Bonneville salt with it. This will likely continue until the mining company profit from product falls off at which time they will walk away.
Bonneville is public land that is under the control of the Bureau of Land Management, the BLM. Unfortunately they have lost sight of what they are supposed to be doing (managing public lands) while collecting millions of dollars in lease fees from the mining company & other users like racers etc. The whole thing is a dirty deceitful mess with no accountability while Bonneville dies a slow death.
Pull the plug in a bath tub, fill it with dirt then stick a hose in the shallow end, all you'll end up with is a dirt stained tub.

Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
Haven't heard from Land Mass lately . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »
Stan
Don't you know you're not supposed to poke a sleeping bear :? :?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
Haven't heard from Land Mass lately . . .
I got a Christmas card! :-o
  Sid.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »
In that view, north is down south is up. Water at center left is Great Salt lake & to the left of that is SLC. Just right of center there is a green water square, that's one of the Intrepid ponds. Just below that to the left is Silver Island Mts, Bonneville & Floating Mt.
I know that country like the back of my hand but it took me a minute to get oriented.  :|
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
Thanks for the "green water square" hint.  I was stumped 'til I found it.  Nice view, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline comet

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2018, 03:20:21 AM »
Hi Sid.
Yeah, I realise the flooding of the surface is more for the benefit of Intrepid and its shareholders than for any racer, or for that matter any future generation. My comment about gravity was flippancy but perhaps not delivered very well. It truly is a shame that the BLM can not see what is going on in front of their faces. Hidden in plain sight? or just pure greed? I doubt we will know until it is far too late.
But we will make our pilgrimage again this August and hope for the best.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
..... It truly is a shame that the BLM can not see what is going on in front of their faces. Hidden in plain sight? or just pure greed? ..

The BLM (land management) for as long as I've lived in the west (60's) has been all about managing the land and not really concerned with protecting it.  To them they probably see mining year around as a job well done vs. protecting the flats for some mere racers that only use it a couple weeks out of the year  :cry: :cry:  Which brings in more income to the government?  Not us...

Sumner

Offline comet

« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
That is a pretty good point Sumner. We are all thinking of them as BLP - Bureau of Land Protection, but yes, all they are actually doing is managing it and not protecting it. Managing it = bring in the $$ and not worry about the future.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
Like I've said before, the BLM have lost sight of the real reason they are there & that is to protect & preserve public lands. Instead they obviously see Bonneville as a cash cow bringing in Millions of dollars in revenue then getting their nose out of joint when Joe Public tries to make them accountable.
Like somebody said to me a while back when I was talking about this, "welcome to America!".
  Sid. 

Offline jdincau

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Sid,
     I believe as you do that the BLM is inept. To be fair their charter in 1946 when the land office and the grazing service were combined was to manage timber, mineral and grazing leases on public lands. The idea of preservation came along in the 70's.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
Come on Folks! :roll:

The BLM is literally the Bureau of Land MIS-management. That is what they do and as in any bureaucracy, they are only interested in self perpetuating schemes that either gain them more power or more money or both. I have been told many times that my approach and rhetoric are too harsh and we should all just cool it and let the folks that like to go to the BLM's luncheons and get togethers speak for all of us that want the salt flats restored......Well, folks what has been done has not been effective and that much should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of reasoning and analysis. The multiple bureaucracies of the various government entities are supposed to work for us not the other way around. :-o

Get active on your local political level and hold the folks accountable. Otherwise they will think they have the upper hand from your inaction. 8-)

Time to get serious and get much more vocal and demand that it is time to make the salt great again! :lol:

Regards to All, :cheers:
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
Is there, Will there be, Has there been pumping this year. It is mandated isn't it?

ted :dhorse:
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
Is there, Will there be, Has there been pumping this year. It is mandated isn't it?

ted :dhorse:

No, it is not mandated. The situation is much worse than most would believe...   :-(
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...