Author Topic: Salt updates  (Read 75087 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Salt updates
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »
Looks like its time for STS to get busy quickly to bring suit against the possibility of Intepid shutting down, selling salt and anything else that hinders the mission purpose of save the salt. Being nice has gotten no where and nothing has been accomplished of any magnitude to show any positive results. Stop being push overs and do whats needed use the funds many of us have donated and get serious about the mission.   :x
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
From what (little) I know, when an entity stops mining, they're supposed to return the "land" to what it was before they started. And they post bonds to ensure that.  And then that particular branch of some larger entity goes bankrupt.  And then nothing happens.  Seems like the table is stacked for large industrial and mining concerns.  Anyone else notice this even more lately?  {I bet there's coal(!) under Mt. Rushmore!}
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
The BLM says there is no change to the salt flats.
What do you expect to see when the Bowen report comes out next year? I expect to see no "conclusive evidence".
Funding of the Bowen report was paid for by Intrepid.
Is that report designed to coincide with mining's end on Bonneville Public Land?
When they walk away, the most they'll likely have to do is block off the drains & canals at the freeway.
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
From what (little) I know, when an entity stops mining, they're supposed to return the "land" to what it was before they started...

The lease agreement does not require them to return "any salt" only do basically what Sid said plus, I believe, plug off any wells.  I've posted links to it in the past in this thread or one of the other ones on the salt's condition,

Sumner

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »
From what (little) I know, when an entity stops mining, they're supposed to return the "land" to what it was before they started...

The lease agreement does not require them to return "any salt" only do basically what Sid said plus, I believe, plug off any wells.  I've posted links to it in the past in this thread or one of the other ones on the salt's condition,

Sumner

Gee whats STS and Velocity have to say about all of this. The salt was saved for Inteped and looks like it may never be returned sure would be nice to hear what STS is doing if anything.     
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »
ummmm Kemo Sabe---- Sid "Speak with Straight Tongue"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
Topic should be renamed, "Salt downgrades!"  :cry:  :dhorse: :cry: :dhorse: :cry: :dhorse:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline **RP**

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »
Looking at the SEMA website I found this in an article about the dry salt laydown at the end of the road from 2014.

“The Coalition is now eager to take the next step this summer by laying down a two-mile strip of salt the width of a race track,” said Ron Main with the Speed Demon team (the world’s fastest piston-driven vehicle).  “Pending BLM approval, the test project will confirm that we can repair areas where it’s needed and help preserve and protect our national treasure—the Bonneville Salt Flats—for our future generations.” 

Should have had 6 miles of good track by now.  Did BLM not approve this?  Also noted SEMA is in Washington DC.....connected to the Swamp?
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »
Should have had 6 miles of good track by now.  Did BLM not approve this?  Also noted SEMA is in Washington DC.....connected to the Swamp?

If there's any draining going on, it's at Bonneville, not in Washington.

I'm looking at the local level.

Here in Milwaukee, we use literally shiploads of salt on our streets during the winter months.  I want to find out where the city's suppliers are getting it.  They're based in Ohio, and I've been told that the source is Michigan, but I can't confirm that - yet.  I'd like to be able to confirm that and propose a moratorium on the city's use of salt extracted from western Utah.

http://wuwm.com/post/salt-keeps-milwaukees-streets-safe-drive-wintertime

It might be the last resort to affect change - by going after Intrepid's wallet.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »
Any salt hauled in to make a race track or ramp at the end of the road, as was done, will be disolved and dispersed over the flats the first time the salt flats floods. Basic improvement = not enough to see.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Somewhere, looking thru documents a couple of years ago, I found mention of a separate Intrepid Salt company.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
Jim, having watched them for a number of years - I actually bought some stock in order to get the stockholder's report - this is the first I've seen them openly advertising salt -

http://www.intrepidpotash.com/salt/products/
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WhiskersMagee

• New folks
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
Is there any chance to move the speedway to a differentt location that has better salt?  Sorry for my ignorance on the subject:)

Offline DallasV

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Is there any chance to move the speedway to a differentt location that has better salt?  Sorry for my ignorance on the subject:)
This response is only if you mean moving the speedway at Bonneville. The course is at a different location every year. The days of "this is where the course is every year i.e. international course" are long gone. Each year a team of experts from each venue (SCTA, USFRA, Cook, Motorcycle meet) go out to the salt and spend many hours/days probing, driving, testing, sample dragging to find the best salt available to run on. The salt that is available migrates from year to year. That salt diminishes each year making it harder and harder to find a safe course. It becomes much more difficult for the SCTA group because of the amount of entries requires multiple courses. It is also becoming exponentially more difficult to find even 1 long course for high speed cars. 9 miles of decent salt are optimal for a long course. in the last few years it has become almost impossible to find even a good 7. Hope this helped - Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
It surely helps -- especially from you, who actually knows something.

(Although it sounds like, "You've only got less than 30 days left" from your doctor.  Great to know, but hard to take.)