Author Topic: FIA records  (Read 20397 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: FIA records
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
Depends on your political preference..... Either Trump or Obama.... In the past it would have George Bushes as we all found out everything was eventually his fault  :cheers:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
So if anything actually changed, would FIA want it's usual Swillion Dollar fee to log it??
  Sid.

What did they charge for investigating and revising the 1991 km record?

answering both questions....about Al, this was the FIA fault....but it need a long time and a lot of people before they start to move their a......, Al, Louise, Tom (Burkland), me (and some of very good friends of mine who had a good connection to the FIA)...and I have the feeling, if they had not changed the classifications with now 13 engine sizes nothing would happened....

about the changes now with moving up from 11 to 13 engine sizes....you can't charge someone if you himself create this changes...otherwise I would call it, printing money....
in the other hand....it's maybe possible that some record holder can loose their record.........
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Since you like to answer a question with a question instead of simple information, who's mistake was that?
  Sid.

Probable answers:

No.

Nothing.

Nobody knows for sure.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
Tricky Dicky writes     it's maybe possible that some record holder can loose their record.........

Seems like a complete waste of ones time effort and money FIA should leave stuff alone what's to be gained by all the confusion? You loose a record Oh no another question!
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 02:19:59 PM »
Ronnie,

I think it was me, who wrote this "record holder loosing.."

I have to see this engine size change as a historian....and so not only for the flying mile and kilo....the effect all other distance and over the time records in this classes...some of the long distance record with big engines was set a long time ago...

and about the changes from the FIA....

maybe you forgot that in 1991 the SCTA separate the blown and unblown engines....and in 1994 they create a new engine class breaks...so as now done by the FIA...a record from Al Teague was effect by the 1994 change.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
Are we at a point for summarising this topic?

The FIA can only use the information from ratified speed records that they have, so those involved have paid their $ or £ or yen or whatever for ratification and will surely not have any monetary involvement. [There could be an opportunity for a reprinted certificate to be sold to any competitor, a certificate which changes just the class number and the cubic capacity figures!]

The FIA uses cubic capacity divisions after category and group designation, but adds a class number to use in a descriptive manner such as "A-II-11". As there are no body style divisions in FIA the whole car designation is I suggest easier and simpler than say SCTA/BNI.

No competitior can 'loose' (sic) a ratified record from the last complete listing as classes are being added, not taken away. As happened with the turbine class weight break changes some records (such as Donald Campbell) come back on to the modern list.

There may be 'losers' from bids which did not break records under the old classifications, or by 1% improvement, as they were not ratified and the information would not have gone to the FIA HQ and therefore cannot be retrospectively applied.

Tricky D has done well with the flying start mile (and kilo) records, but who will sort out the vehicle cubic capacity standing start distance and time records that Pork Pie has mentioned? Or is that where the delay has arisen?

There is still some time until the 'Cook Shootout' (an event where multiple entries might be expected), but are any attempts by privateers now on hold because the target speeds are not yet defined?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:52:49 AM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »
Another part of the 'minefield' is that the same new class capacities are being introduced for the Diesel powered cars (blown and unblown), so the administrative workload is doubled. With such vehicles having never been up with the quickest overall, only lovers of oil burners (or exhaust smokers) are likely to have any secondary information.

There is some statement about " ... unintended consequences ..." which springs to mind.

A positive is that there are many turbine and electric classes which are divided by weight (in kilogrammes) that have no current records.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
And then there are classes for rotary power (blown and unblown).  :evil:

Not forgetting additional classes for hydrogen fuel.  :-o  I need a smart-arse (smart-ass) emoji ...

:dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
For A-I-10, it also says: "...as defined until 31.12.2014 - classification under review."

My reading of the history books is that the Mercedes records set in 1939 at Dessau used a 3 litre engine (Class D as it was then, now Class A-I-8).  Therefore they cannot be current FIA records.

On the other hand, in October 1934 Rudolf Caracciola with the Mercedes Benz W25 set Class C records of 197.347 mph (kilometre) and 196.775 mph (mile). Rather unusually the engine size was just under 4 litres in a 3-5 litre class.  As far as I can tell these should be the current FIA A-I-9 class records.

I checked the record lists I got....digital goes back for about 20 years....unfortunately I have no complete list from the time before the big changes in 1965....

the record from Herda (1965) and Hoffman & Markley (1992) was set with bigger engines...H & M used a 300 ci (means close to 5 liter)...when I remember right, Herda's engine was similar in the size...

so I have no information which record Herda broke.....did you have any information to this record holder....

My information about Bob Herda's FIA records in the 1960s is very sketchy, so what follows is subject to correction.

In my original post I was speculating on the A-I-12 (7-8 litre) records, which means records from the previous 5-8 litre class (Class B in the early 1960s, which became Class 10 at some time I cannot determine) are the candidates.

My "research" indicates that Bob Herda set FIA records on four occasions, three in Class B (October 1964, October 1965 and November 1967) and one in Class C (November 1965).  Probably, the Class B records used a 7+ litre engine.  There are references to 442 c.i., 446 and 448 c.i. but I cannot confirm the capacity of the engine that was used to set any particular FIA record.

I found some information on Bob Herda's Class B records in the 1960s.  This confirms 7+ litre engine.  See attachment.